It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Damn Dumb are Humans, Anyway?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 01:53 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

Tall about "Things that make you go hmmm?"

You could be on to something....

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 03:11 AM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro

BawJaws? Tory I sort of get, British political party, ya? Yes, politics is now venom and hatred over decorum, but it's sort of been that way for a good 2 decades or more. I cant say I feel like we've lost anything, but the decorum you speak of hasn't really existed in my adult life, if it ever did. I have my doubts, really. Considering how assassinations (attempted and successful) of US presidents seemed to be more common before the 1990s, we once had a US Senator beat another Senator with a brass headed cane on the Senate floor over 100 years ago, and one of the nation's first presidential races saw one candidate tell the media his opponent was a hermaphrodite... yeah, not finding that decorum you speak of as if it once existed in politics. If it was ever there, it was the outlier and not part of the longer run of political history.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Democrats bad. Conservatives good. WuFlu not scary.

There, made your rant shorter.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
Democrats bad. Conservatives good. WuFlu not scary.

There, made your rant shorter.

In the same manner as a stick figure could be used to represent the Mona Lisa...

Where's your artistic flair and soul?

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 06:56 PM
link   
For certain a small group of investors have been racking up huge gains by shorting the market and ratcheting up the fear. When the smoke finally blows over from this we'll see another grand fleecing reminiscent of 2008. People forget there's piles of money to be made when the market crashes.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

I've noticed the big banks are already laying the table for "bailouts" as if we're by God absolutely going to have financial upheaval. There are presently only two sectors that should legitimately be seeing strife:
Travel & Tech.
The travel sector is struggling because few people wish to travel presently (understandable) and many flights are grounded due to various government flight restrictions (a technically defensible market struggle). The tech sector is struggling because of a supply issue, which should clear up fairly quickly with China reopening manufacturing plants and increasing production.

That said, the health sector should be offsetting much of the technically logical sell offs. The rest of the downslide is purely emotional manipulation of a crisis that is politically driven (and by that I include the ridiculous desire to "get Trump" but am moreso talking about geopolitical pissing matches between China and the world, the EU and the UK, NAFTA, etc. as well as internal Chinese political tomfoolery geared towards securing their stranglehold on their own people)

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Bioweapon? That only kills old people and sick people or people in 3rd world medical countries?

That’s about the weakest bio weapon in history.

Tornado deaths 20+
A month of CV 11 deaths (8 from the same hospice facility).

I guess if the weapon is designed to faux panic the enemy then it’s a huge success. Just not much on actual damage.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Great OP and I get what you are saying. But, as I pointed out to a friend who feels the same as you, nine of the twelve causes of death you listed are not contagious. Those nine will not change any time soon. This virus...different story.

TB is still a thing because it is constantly re-introduced by illegals coming across the southern border. (queue the whining) Sorry, but its true. They also brought small pox back to the US. Mighty nice of them to share like that...

So, yes there are other causes of death that seem to be in greater proportion that are obviously not affecting the stock market. But imagine if, say cancer, was suddenly declared contagious and airborne. What would the stock market do then? At first the deaths would trickle in, like they are now with covid-19. But eventually that number would increase. That is what happens with contagions. Especially the kind that can re-infect - which is what we are seeing with covid-19. That means not only can people fall victim to the virus after recovering form it once, but also that people are not developing antibodies to it. That is particularly distressing since those people with antibodies are the best place to find the key elements for a vaccine.

I believe in the stock market. But I also believe that it was seriously overpriced prior to covid-19 and no amount of propping up is going to prevent a steep decline once the fear really sets in. I expected a fairly steep drop this summer before covid-19 hit. Now I expect that drop to be bigger. Exactly how much is a fools game to try to predict. I would normally be looking for an end of year/Christmas rally but in an election year that may be tough. If democrats win I will be glad I am already out of the market. I sold several weeks ago. I am waiting til the fourth quarter to decide if or when to buy back in.

My accounts hit record highs this year and I hardly lost anything when I sold. I expect a very nice profit when I buy back in.

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 01:41 AM
link   

I would agree with you except for a few facts.

Despite claims of the contrary China is not really reporting the real amount of deaths that have occurred in China alone.

To add to that there is the leaked video from Iran, where supposedly only 77 people have died, yet according to the BBC journalist they obtained "videos", not just one, in which the person/people whom filmed in Iran are saying there are far more deaths than the regime is also saying they have had.

Link to video

Also, according to Dr. John Campbell there are two versions of the death toll from WHO. in one they think the death toll is only 1% of those infected. But another account says that the death toll is 3.4-3.5%.

But here is the thing, if you follow the explanations by Dr. John Campbell you will see that in the U.S. in some areas the death toll seems to be about 25% of those infected. In Seattle ( Washington State) there are so far 10 deaths out of 39 infected. That's a much higher death toll than what we are being told.

What's worse is that countries like India have decided not to send key ingredients for medicines/vaccines and they seem to be hoarding them in case they get a pandemic.

What's more, even though there are 20 nations attempting to make a vaccine the earliest they will be able to make them would be by 2021 if we are lucky.

The problem is also that out of the two strains of the virus, S (ancestral) and L (mutated) types, the L type is more virulent and more infectious. So you could have one nation with a majority of cases being S type and the death toll is not high, but another nation can have a pandemic of the L type and have a much higher death toll.

IMO, there is a lot to be concerned about this virus. More so when it seems obvious the virus was manufactured as it emanated from the only place in China which has a level 4 lab, the Wuhan National Biosafety Laboratory (Level 4) of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, which was built in 2015. COVID-19 is more likely a biological weapon China was working on.

edit on 6-3-2020 by ElectricUniverse because: correct comment.

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 04:42 AM
link   
a reply to: PilSungMtnMan

what if the BIO weapon is just to infect as many as possible and later it mutates and becomes more deadly
it maybe a multi stage bio weapon

or it may be a low yield of death bio weapon which is just used to influence trade etc for a certain period of time

if anything I know in my heart that this is all just to make money somewhere

CHina has a corona epidemic , america create the vaccine , then uses that to increase their trade

Im willing to bet that the UK will get access to the vaccine in turn for a chunk of the NHS to be privitised and sold off to american companies

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Writing this virus off so quickly is foolish.

It's a new virus that still has the chance to mutate into something nastier.

Odds are we'll have to deal with it as humans as a bug for a few years until a vaccine is made.

Here's a fun thought to entertain:
If coronavirus is as detrimental to the elderly as we imagine and health experts project 40%-70% of Americans to be infected, even at the low death rate of let's say 3%, how does that effect the votes in the election?

Yes, it's warming up but we're not curing this thing by November. The cold months will come and you can catch it again, throw in a mutation on top of all that and those Republican votes dwindle.

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Im willing to bet that the UK will get access to the vaccine in turn for a chunk of the NHS to be privitised and sold off to american companies

I'll take that bet mate, how does a very generous 5/2 sound?
How much?

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 05:25 AM
link   

There are two strains. The S ancestral (original virus), and the L (mutated virus). The 1%-3.5% death tool is for the S virus. The L strain is much more virulent and infectious. It has a much higher death toll which could be 25%.

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Hmmmm

id say a tenner

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

thats the thing though , why is it that when a virus mutates its always more deadly , when not all mutations are beneficial to the host
so why is then that virus's dont mutate and become less virulent or deadly

it seems any time a virus mutates it always makes it stronger

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Never trust a man who can't rant with style. They possess little depth and less soul.

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: PilSungMtnMan

I guess if the weapon is designed to faux panic the enemy then it’s a huge success. Just not much on actual damage.

I'm having a hard time keeping up with who our enemies are. Has it switched from the Mexicans to the Chinese? I see the current WH is all up in Putins ***. We used to hate those commie MFs....

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

When in the hell did we ever declare "Mexicans" as our enemies? Are you confused? Have you been in the dark alcohol? Illegal Immigration was and is an enemy of the People of the United States, be those illegals from Mexico, South America, Asia, or Europe... ALL OF THEM. As for me, the world represents an 'enemy" when judged according to your ethos, as anyone who poses any threat to my nation, no matter how large or small a threat, is an enemy.

We did used to hate commie MFers... then the US liberals discovered Union Proud MFers who adore communist worker party ideals and that virtue slipped away from us.

posted on Mar, 7 2020 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Why is it dumb to play on the safe side? To be safe rather than sorry? Irregardless whether this virus is a civilization ender or not, i think the entire way it has played out and was handled showcases that humanity currently is very susceptible to a civilization ending virus/bacteria.

Just to note if someone did want to create the perfect bio weapon to end humanity, most certainly they would want it to function in a way that people "downplay" it. You wouldn't want it to instantly be nasty so everyones warning bells start going off. So I'm not hugely impressed with the argument from people saying they could make a better bio-weapon, and then they just fixate on the short term death rate, implying that the best bioweapon would be something that just causes instant horrifying death.

Likewise even if this virus ends up being only a threat to people over 50, that is still quite worrisome, especially if the virus ingrains itself as a common thing. I would imagine that would then effectively cut the average human lifespan by quite a lot. Is that not a problem? A trend that some say is the work evil, if you buy into some tales that humans lived longer in the past (religion and myth tales). So even if it just slashes the human lifespan, i view that as a grave insult and attack upon humanity.

And one last thing I want to touch on is an observation i have seen that is a bit upsetting. And that is i have no doubt observed more right leaning, or at least trump supporters, who have decided to not care abut this virus. Which can be explained in that they view it as an attack on Trump, or view it as an easy way for their enemies, the left, to attack Trump, and therefore become defensive in regards to it (this also applies to the left in the opposite way). It is unfortunate because i really do not see why left or right should have anything to do with ones perceptions of this event, ones views should not be infected by such a petty corrupt political duality. A different type of infection that certain people use to control the masses.

This leads into the thought experiment: what would be their views if obama, or hillary etc.. was in office now. Would they be as willing to call this a nothing burger event/virus? And just to add context, personally i prefer trump to hillary significantly and to any current democrat nominee, and at least in certain ways in the modern era would probably be categorized as being right leaning. But this shouldn't make us lose sight of what should be important, and that is our people, the health of our people and so on, and i just think its careless to let a disease spread simply because you dont want the left to possibly use it as ammunition against you, or because you want to continue to inflate the stock numbers as long as possible.

But of course all these things are simply symptoms of the corrupt political/social/financial system we are all trapped in. So i understand what causes the inclinations of people to behave as they do (meaning one is between a rock and hard place given the systems in place), but if we are to ever free ourselves from it, we have to stop playing their game/games.
edit on 7-3-2020 by FellowHuman because: Some content didnt show

posted on Mar, 7 2020 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: FellowHuman

Never said I wasn't concerned about it. Never said that at all... I said it will blow over and there's zero reason to nuke the economy over it.

Wall Street right now are acting like a collective of children, scared of their own shadows for no good reason.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join