It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food deliveries during virus lock down?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 04:27 AM
link   
As of today have any cities or states announced how they plan to feed people who are locked down or quarantined in their own homes?

Will people be allowed out to go shopping once a week like in China, or will rations be brought to them, and if so will the state pay for them or will you need to pay the state back?

I know that many of us have enough food stockpiled to wait out an reasonable quarantine period short of a total social collapse, but what about people who shop daily or live off of takeout?

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 04:47 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=24988254]AaarghZombiei
i think before they say a lockdown will start they will give you something like 12 hours to stock up on food to last you 2 or 3 weeks otherwise they will see people walking around looking for food spreading the virus .

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 05:00 AM
link   
a reply to: AaarghZombies
Nope.
The UK govt has legislation out but since 09 it's been harder to find government documents exposing continuity plans.

You may be advised to ask a local farmer,

if you can follow his spring Harrow with more useful seeds than what he's putting in on a corner of his ground. When you're talking food the only place it comes from is farms or indoor units.

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 05:06 AM
link   
we now have food give aways for Japanese children that can not go to school, the parents do have to cook the food though
its not macaroni and cheese , but fresh vegetables and other stuff

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 05:33 AM
link   

www.google.com... c-buying" target="_blank" class="postlink">guardian

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 05:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: DoctorBluechip
Nope.
The UK govt has legislation out but since 09 it's been harder to find government documents exposing continuity plans.

You may be advised to ask a local farmer,

if you can follow his spring Harrow with more useful seeds than what he's putting in on a corner of his ground. When you're talking food the only place it comes from is farms or indoor units.

I was more thinking about the US, I'm sure that UK farms are nice but they may be a little far to travel for most members.

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 05:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: tempestking
a reply to: [post=24988254]AaarghZombiei
i think before they say a lockdown will start they will give you something like 12 hours to stock up on food to last you 2 or 3 weeks otherwise they will see people walking around looking for food spreading the virus .

That sounds like a recipe for panic buying.

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 06:00 AM
link   
I don’t think it will come to a lockdown in the US. Perhaps in a few very small cases. Mostly self isolation at home is what I would expect. It will soon be summertime and I think the virus will burn out in warm weather. Time will tell.

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

It will soon be summertime and I think the virus will burn out in warm weather.

I tend to agree. Here in AZ we're already warming up. Expecting 86° on Friday, lows going up to 60°. (Yay!!!)

I also think it's already come through our corner of the world. My husband was sick a couple/few weeks ago. I started taking extra C and olive leaf extract immediately, and ended up with a very mild case of whatever he had... but the symptoms were those of Coronavirus. I never ran a fever, but my husband did, and we both had the sore throats, dry cough, and body aches. I made us both hot toddies one night, we slept like babies, and we've been doing fine ever since.

Unfortunately, we know others who aren't so fortunate. For example, my husband's shop has been running half-crew for over a month now with so many people out sick...

On the plus side (for us!), hubby's been picking up the slack and doing such a good job that his boss gave him a big fat raise out of the blue!

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 07:21 AM
link   

There was an article posted at The Federalist talking about preparation yesterday. It was written by an epidemiologist. It advised you to lay in enough to get through two to six weeks because any such quarantine period would likely be for about one to two infection cycles which is right now thought to be an average of 14 days (2 weeks). They would ask you to stay home through 1 to 2 of those to try to break the cycle by starving the disease of new hosts.

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I heard this morning on the radio that Amazon already having delivery problems due too many orders.

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 07:42 AM
link   

"Oh, geez. I wish I would have stocked up better with the basics like rice, beans, bottled water (get bent, our water tastes like leftover azz) toilet paper, dog food, canned and frozen veg, batteries, humongous bags of popcorn, the new Ozzy record on vinyl*, etc, but I just forgot and I can't help you. Sorry!"

--for the lolz

*A man has got to live.

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman
I heard this morning on the radio that Amazon already having delivery problems due too many orders.

They are firing a bunch of drivers over contractual disputes. Nothing to do with orders. They don't have a problem during Christmas time so why would they have one now. It's because these drivers are moving on and finding other work.

Besides, almost every grocery store has a delivery service which is not tied to Amazon. Only issue is if someone lives out in the middle of nowhere where these services are not available. End of the day nobody is running out of food in the US with over 40% of the population obese. Food will get to them if they are truly in need.

If it gets that bad the Fed will do same thing they did during Katrina which is start giving people MRE's. They did that for a couple months.

edit on 3-3-2020 by Stupidsecrets because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
we now have food give aways for Japanese children that can not go to school, the parents do have to cook the food though
its not macaroni and cheese , but fresh vegetables and other stuff

Japan-- feeding its children REAL food!
Respect.

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: new_here

They send home plastic containers of "fresh" fruits and veggies with my son. The quality is questionable plenty of times, and other times, it's stuff like kumquats. Who actually eats raw kumquats? Not to say people don't; we ate them just because I'd never had one like that, but it's hardly something I'd choose to buy and snack on. They're ... tart is being kind.

But even when the quality is good, most kids are being diets at home that make them eyeball the fresh stuff askance like it's suddenly grown eyes.

Ours knows what most of it is because we've had it here at one time or other.

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: AaarghZombies
As of today have any cities or states announced how they plan to feed people who are locked down or quarantined in their own homes?

Will people be allowed out to go shopping once a week like in China, or will rations be brought to them, and if so will the state pay for them or will you need to pay the state back?

I know that many of us have enough food stockpiled to wait out an reasonable quarantine period short of a total social collapse, but what about people who shop daily or live off of takeout?

www.cbc.ca...

There's no face-to-face contact between the volunteers and those in quarantine. After requests are made via WeChat, the closest available volunteer buys the items and delivers them to the family's doorstep. The volunteer then sends a picture to alert the person who made the request that the items have been delivered.

Volunteers deliver needed groceries to the doorstep. Hopefully it all goes smoothly

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Just order your groceries online. Kroger and Safeway all have grocery delivery. Usually same day.

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

You are assuming grocery stores would remain operational and that delivery service would continue.

If they are trying like crazy to break the chain of infection, having someone deliver stuff to you is one method of transmission with a virus that lives on surfaces like this one apparently does.

Let's say Joe Delivery is an asymptomatic carrier. He picks and delivers your groceries and a bunch of other folks'. In so doing he gives you all deliveries of virus on your stuff. So much for breaking the chain of infection.

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Still less of a risk than walking around in a building where hundreds of possibly infected people have been.

There’s always Uber Eats too. Thankfully we live in a time where a person doesn’t really have to leave their house.

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Keep on believing that, but you'll be really hungry.

If this virus starts spreading unabated the way it is in other countries right now, one of the likely interventions that civil authorities would consider is a regional or even national lockdown. In this scenario, citizens would be “invited” to stay at home long enough to wait out a few incubation periods of the disease—probably between two to six weeks. Governments would likely use curfews and transportation restrictions to starve the virus of new hosts through isolating people in smaller groups, with little contact between the groups.

What does this mean for you? It means that you should prepare to be at home for at least a few weeks. Unlike in most natural disasters, we can expect to have power and water, but non-essential activities and other gathering places will be shut down, including schools, coffee shops, non-emergency health-care facilities, churches, and gyms. That includes shuttering Walmarts, grocery stores, and Amazon deliveries. It’s time to think through how you and your family would get by during those weeks.

If they opt for a widespread quarantine measure, you can expect food services to halt. This piece was written by an epidemiologist about what steps could be taken if things get out of control. You're not going to be sitting on your couch ordering takeout and grocery service.

At that point, you're demanding that people with no more training in how to handle infectious disease than you have to keep staying out in public, gathering together, and then interacting with you ... all to service your needs. This is actually what the purpose of a quarantine is designed to prevent.
edit on 3-3-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

<<   2 >>

join