It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spying on the Scammers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 12:55 AM
link   
So I subscribe to Jim Browning who likes to make prank calls to scammers.

A good video came from his channel today that is the title of this thread. Posted below. Jim spies on the scammers through their own CCTV. Can't wait to watch the subsequent videos as this is Part 1 of 4. The info on the page has when the next videos are being released. He also collaborated with BBC and gave them the information of these scammers, if you watch the video you will see he has everything on them, where they work, what floor they work on, the names of the people, he even has footage of them talking with him on the phone. The link to the BBC documentary that is to be released 3/3/20 is below as well.

I've noticed complaints of people on this website having problems with pop-ups. And it appears mainly how these scammers work, with fake pop-ups that get people to call them. And then waste money for no service. I really don't know how this is still happening as it is very easy to prevent. I guess perhaps because of computer illiteracy among many this is still rampant.

There are some very simple protective measures to take to greatly reduce the risk of running across these scammers. Ones that everyone on this website definitely should be taking advantage of.

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 01:05 AM
link   
a reply to: SimpleIdea

I watched this only this morning too!

I like ol' Jimmy..

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Kitboga is another Youtuber that scams the scammers that is entertaining to watch. I believe his grandmother was scammed by these type of scammers. Now he tries to keep the scammers tied up as long as he can so they cannot scam other people. He explains in his videos what the scammers are doing and how they set up the scam.

My work’s firewall is blocking me so I am not able to create a link, but you should check it out.

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 01:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Threeknocks

He's a riot. I'll put his vids on when I'm cooking sometimes and want to have something to listen to to laugh.

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Very cool. Ive seen those malicious advertisements on ATS as well. Annoying, but fairly harmless unless yoj follow their directions.

I remember watching a video where a guy was playing along with the scammers while secretly deleting tons of their files. It was great to see a pissed off Indian scammer.

They are really focusing on the older folk who don't understand computers and these scams.

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 09:08 AM
link   
He's done some very impressive work to hack into their CCTV to watch the scammers.

In one call, the victim of the scam asked what the cost would be to unlock the computer, and the answer was 50 pounds.
The victim asked, what if I don't have 50 pounds?

So I don't think they got anything from that victim.

But another victim asked the cost, and the answer was 1295 pounds. I didn't know if this meant £1295 or £12.95 , but apparently it was supposed to mean £1295. What an absurd amount, since you can buy a new computer for less than that, and the victim was crying.

I wonder how they decide who to scam for £50 and who to scam for £1295?

Apparently there are more of these scamming operations than I realized, and yes they do use ads to deliver their scams.

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
They are really focusing on the older folk who don't understand computers and these scams.

That's where Kitboga, as Threeknocks mentioned, comes in.

He uses a voice changing app to play along as an old lady.. haha he really does a good job. Wasted hours of their time.

edit on 3-3-2020 by Gnarley because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Thank you. I always wondered how these shmucks were doing it. I had a call from their kind once and It took me a minute or two to realize there is no such thing as "Windows services". I know some local boomers wound not have a defense against a call like that.

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 02:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arbitrageur
I didn't know if this meant £1295 or £12.95 , but apparently it was supposed to mean £1295. What an absurd amount, since you can buy a new computer for less than that, and the victim was crying.

Yeah, the victim was likely crying for one, or both of two reasons.

1) They can't afford it, or afford the "new computer".

2) A new computer doesn't contain their important data (family photos, tax documents, etc.)
edit on 3/4/20 by redmage because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join