It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Malicious Fake Web Attack Redirects HERE ONLY Starting @ 9pm Every F'ing Night

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: c2oden

No need to reboot, you can use right click the task bar and run task manager to close the browser... works MOST of the time BTW.

edit on 3.2.2020 by Murgatroid because: felt like it...

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: c2oden

originally posted by: charlyv

have you run those cleaners?

I get those too
Yes. All clear.
It just happened again. One full page ad for McAfee and another for Norton.
I get those too
edit on 2-3-2020 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

Thanks. I'll try that.
edit on 2020-03-02T21:45:44-06:002202002America/Chicago3 by c2oden because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Have you ran Malwarebytes? It may help you (free version)... Your antivirus should be catching these before they ever get in BTW...
edit on 3.2.2020 by Murgatroid because: felt like it...

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 09:52 PM
link   

I have not. I just don't understand why it only happens on this site.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Malwarebytes is pretty good.

I'm not having any issues lately, well, the occasional hourly lag..sometimes. Right now I'm getting no ads at all, was earlier.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 09:53 PM
link   

What antivirus are you running?

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Defender.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Thinking about getting Malwarebytes.
It's nuts tonight

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 10:02 PM
link   
opening 4 taps on same page just to get post down in time

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Are you getting the Fireplayer ad?

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: c2oden

Are you getting the Fireplayer ad?

yes.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Fireplayer is a fake

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Sounds to me that you have 3rd party cookies messing with you. Go into chrome and disable 3rd party cookies.

These cookies are put on your browser for advertising. What they do is when you click on an advertiser it allows them to know which site you were on. Basically used to pay sites for the traffic they send to the advertiser.

Chrome has the feature to disable these and then you wont get the contacts from the advertisers. What you are probably seeing is the advertisers checking their cookie.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 10:27 PM
link   

I think FireFox may be your first step, Malwarebytes will deal deal with preexisting stuff but it will only stop "live" incoming malware threats if you buy the paid version I believe, not needed IMHO. I would recommend starting with FF install and maybe a scan with the free Malwarebytes first.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Windows Defender has improved quite a bit over the last few years so you're probably fine, I use the free Avast. I would just run the Malwarebytes free scan...

XL5

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Check the thread "is ats shutting down" in this forum, the answer to all of this is hinted at with the last few replys.

IMO it could be bad cookies and/or bad ads from ATS but no matter what any one says, it is not just you. If you are dying of some rare condition and some stranger comes along and states "you are the only one that has it, maybe it is something you ate" and they don't offer helpful non accusatory suggestions , it comes across as rude.

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Make sure you have CCleaner downloaded and installed. Do NOT let it install anything additional. Make sure you make a custom install to make sure it is not installing junk stuff.

If you have bookmarks you want to save go into bookmarks and export them to a JSON file. You will use this later to add them back.

Close Chrome if not closed. Go to Start - Settings - Apps, find Chrome and delete it. Make sure when it asks you if you want to delete all saved data to say yes.

Open CCleaner and do a clean sweep of the computer, deleting all cookies, all saved passwords, everything the whole shabang.

With CCleaner go to registery and clean it as well.

Now you can use MS Edge to re-download Chrome if you want to keep using it or download Firefox and use that.

Here is a list of a few but not all the extensions to download for either browser:

Ghostery, HTTPS Everywhere, Privacy Badger, Cookie Autodelete.

I recommend not using Edge or Chrome. But if you use either of these browsers do the clean sweep first. Then reinstall the Chrome if need be. You can go into bookmarks and import the JSON file, which should be saved by default to your documents folder.

You can also download Opera. And enable a couple of built-in features that will help better protect you, including a built-in VPN. Add the previous mentioned cookies into Opera if you decide to use that.

If you don't have Windows 10 upgrade to Windows 10. A clean install of Windows 10 with the built-in anti-virus is good enough. You don't need Malwarebyes and what not. Better keep it clean and simple.

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I run AVG, Firefox, Adblock, and Ghostery.

Never experienced any of this. I won't touch chrome and at times have considered dumping Firefox too.

Firefox has a bad habit of running multiple instances in task manager that eats up my memory and cpu to the point that sometimes my laptop will just slow to a agonizing, snail's pace. My cooling fan will run at max speed until I kill the process tree in task manager.
I had to do a little research to cure that one, but with every update, it reverts back to the default settings making me do it all over again.😡

That's the pain in the backside.

When I get tired of doing that, I'll probably switch to Duckduckgo.🤷🏽‍♂️

I also use Malwarebytes Pro, and Glary Utilities Pro as well to keep things clean and tidy.

edit on 3/3/2020 by EternalShadow because: correction, eta

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 02:09 AM
link   
a reply to: SimpleIdea

Just an FYI to anyone else who read SimpleIdea's post above about CCleaner, much of what he said was new to me so I just spent 30 min. researching it, my conclusion was he is dead on target, I will definitely be doing exactly what he listed above. For context, several years ago I used to design and build PC's and am very savvy techwise. One caveat might be I noticed some are saying to use Privacy Possum instead of Privacy Badger. Things have changed, definitely do a little reading on the topic, try searching with terms like: Firefox privacy security How To, etc. BTW I started out searching Google with this: Ghostery, HTTPS Everywhere, Privacy Badger, Cookie Autodelete and then began to use the other search terms I listed above...

Firefox Privacy – The Complete How-To Guide
restoreprivacy.com...

8 Secure Browsers to Protect Your Privacy and Stay Safe
restoreprivacy.com...

Top browser extensions for online privacy and security
vpnoverview.com...

edit on 3.3.2020 by Murgatroid because: felt like it...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join