It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Noted Right-winger NY Governor Cuomo downplays Trumpvirus fears in press conference

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 06:33 PM
link   
pretty confused right now.

For weeks the prevalent narrative on ATS - check the ongoing "coronavirus updates part whatever we're up to now" threads that have rapidly gotten above 100 pages and are always near the top of the 'recent' page for confirmation - has been that actually coronavirus is probably the worst thing to ever happen, it's an unstoppable manmade biological weapon, hundreds of thousands are dead in china from it and we're all being lied to, and the only hope is an immediate retreat to your underground bunker.

But now, what? i guess Trump has said it's not that bad? so all of a sudden it's the evil leftists who are trying to destabilise everything by claiming it's worse than it is? does anyone around here have a memory longer than whatever thing has grabbed their momentary rage this minute? really hate to do an orwell quote cus it's such a tacky smug rightwinger thing to do but damn y'all hear about the war with eastasia

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: continuousThunder
pretty confused right now.

For weeks the prevalent narrative on ATS - check the ongoing "coronavirus updates part whatever we're up to now" threads that have rapidly gotten above 100 pages and are always near the top of the 'recent' page for confirmation - has been that actually coronavirus is probably the worst thing to ever happen, it's an unstoppable manmade biological weapon, hundreds of thousands are dead in china from it and we're all being lied to, and the only hope is an immediate retreat to your underground bunker.

But now, what? i guess Trump has said it's not that bad? so all of a sudden it's the evil leftists who are trying to destabilise everything by claiming it's worse than it is? does anyone around here have a memory longer than whatever thing has grabbed their momentary rage this minute? really hate to do an orwell quote cus it's such a tacky smug rightwinger thing to do but damn y'all hear about the war with eastasia

If you'll check my posting history, as the OP, I have not been participating in the alarmist coronavirus threads except to voice my skepticism, which is continued here. I've been consistent on the issue, since before Trump made any public comments. I can't speak for anyone else here, but I've always believed it would be another dud.

ETA: To be clear, that doesn't mean the virus shouldn't be taken seriously. The point I've always made about it is that it is being overblown. It's 2 or 3x deadlier than flu, at most. It's probably less than that, but the infection rate is under-reported, which inflates the mortality rate. No one freaks out over how many people die from flu every year, there's no reason to freak out over this.
edit on 2 3 20 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: incoserv

I'm about to have a gall bladder removal and umbilical hernia repair done laparoscopically at a top-notch clinic that is recognized by the Canadian national health care system as accredited. It's not cheap for a typical Mexican laborer and they'd more likely be enmeshed in the national system, but for this gringo, it's ridiculously inexpensive compared to what it'd cost stateside (total cost probably less than what your deductible would be) and the quality of care is at least what you'd get stateside and, I'd dare say, in some repects probably better.

My co pay is zero, so pretty low...lol

How does this healthcare relate across the population there and not just a higher paying foreigner? I can agree your in good company for what you want to do, but I still suggest if you need open heart or a joint replacement I would not go there.

I would. In a heartbeat.

That is, if I still had a heart to beat.

It's be expensive for the common laborer, but middle to upper middle class people here use it even though they have access to the socialized system.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Xtrozero

No, but being 70+ is an increased risk factor all by itself.

That's a big reason why the two front-runners in the Democratic primary should start campaigning via YouTube .

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: continuousThunder

Not sure what you are talking about here...lol The only political fake narratives anyone is talking about is how the left has sensationalized the whole thing to basically suggest Trump is failing on even day one of this whole virus issue. The left isn't talking about how bad or weak the virus might be, they are just talking about Trump's actions.

edit on 2-3-2020 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: continuousThunder

I've never said anything other than the worst problems from it will be the secondary effects of system overlord if everyone gets sick all at once.

It doesn't have to have a crazy high death rate to cause problems in that way.

Put it this way: On the average weekend in Chicago, a lot of people get shot, but because those incidents all happen at different times and places, spread out, they don't cause a lot of comment even when there is a high death toll from them. But, let those same shootings all occur at one place and at one time ... and it suddenly becomes a mass shooting event that amounts to an epic national tragedy.

This thing doesn't have to kill any more the population percentage wise than the flu would, but because there is no herd immunity, the rate of infection will not be slowed down. We'll all get sick, all at once. And because of that, we'll all be flat on our butts recovering all at once, and everyone who will die will die all within a those few weeks too.

It causes a problem because all your severely ill cases will need medical care ... all at once, and hospitals nowhere in the world are built to have enough beds to handle that. It doesn't matter what kind of health care system we're talking about. Additionally, you're talking about hospital staff who also all likely get it too and have to deal with their own illnesses leaving the medical care facilities short-handed while they're overwhelmed.

But all of this can happen with a disease the the vast majority of us will get and barely notice we have ... as in 80+% of us.

It's just the scale of the potential rates of infection that will pose the problem.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

There's really no indication that it spreads that easy. Look at China. One and a third billion people, most living in poor conditions, with poor healthcare, and it's been going on for months and you only have 80,000 cases or so, with infection rates starting to decline already. If it was some super-communicable disease that spreads like wildfire, I doubt it would've peaked in China already.

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv

originally posted by: underwerks
a reply to: incoserv

HOW DARE HE CITE FACTS?! Doesn't he know that facts can hurt people's feelings?

Obviously. That’s why he’s lying.

The U.S. healthcare system is actually ranked 27th in the world. Colombia in South America has better healthcare than America does.

Link

I am aware of that fact. I live in Mexico (legally resident US citizen) and the healthcare I receive here (private clinics) is better and much more affordable than anything I have ever seen stateside.

That fact does not impeach the veracity of everything else he said regarding the hard statistics. The zombie apocalypse is not coming.

Unless you count those who have allowed themselves to be turned into zombies through their unquestioning obedience to the media-driven narrative. Given that, we are most certainly in the throes of a zombie apocalypse.
Well you may get better healthcare in Mexico, but the average lifespan in the USA is 78.9 years vs. 75 for Mexico, while the infant mortality rate for Mexico is 11.6 per 1,000 vs. 5.8 per 1,000 for the USA. And this despite the USA having at least 45 million immigrants from the Third World — four times as many as second-place Germany, and a fifth of the world total according to Pew Research. A large number of those immigrants are Mexicans, who like to give birth to their U.S. citizen brats in our nice, First World hospitals.

As for underwerks claim that Colombia has better healthcare than the USA, statistics say otherwise. The average lifespan in Colombia is 77.1 years, and the infant mortality rate is 13.6 per 1,000.

I wonder why so many people like to cast the United States in the worst possible light? They don’t even bother to do the most basic research to support their badmouthing; they just say what they want to believe or go to their favorite anti-American source and regurgitate its propaganda.

There are plenty of bad things going on in America. Any American will tell you that. But why make up # when there’s so much actual # to complain about?
edit on 3-3-2020 by Scapegrace because: Typos

edit on 3-3-2020 by Scapegrace because: Typos

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Scapegrace
I wonder why so many people like to cast the United States in the worst possible light? They don’t even bother to do the most basic research to support their badmouthing; they just say what they want to believe or go to their favorite anti-American source and regurgitate its propaganda.

There are plenty of bad things going on in America. Any American will tell you that. But why make up # when there’s so much actual # to complain about?

Because they hate this country, plain and simple. They've been conditioned to believe it's an awful place. Facts really have no place in the discussion for them.

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

80,000 diagnosed. They only had 3,000 test kits/day. That limits your ability to get a true scope on the numbers.

I'm guessing most of us won't really know we had it beyond suffering a nasty cold or flu at most. Some number of us not even that much.

There's some solid research out that suggests it may have been circulating for up to 6 weeks in Washington with no one the wiser. That suggests that there may actually be quite a few infected out there in Seattle even now, and that it's quite a bit less dangerous then some would like us to think. Still, when it does find the right populations, it can also kill as we are also seeing in Washington State.

edit on 3-3-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

80,000 diagnosed. They only had 3,000 test kits/day. That limits your ability to get a true scope on the numbers.

I'm guessing most of us won't really know we had it beyond suffering a nasty cold or flu at most. Some number of us not even that much.

There's some solid research out that suggests it may have been circulating for up to 6 weeks in Washington with no one the wiser. That suggests that there may actually be quite a few infected out there in Seattle even now, and that it's quite a bit less dangerous then some would like us to think. Still, when it does find the right populations, it can also kill as we are also seeing in Washington State.

All true, again that's kinda proving my point though. There are tons of people who will get it and never even know it, because it's not the ubervirus the media is pretending it is to try to crash the economy.

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I find this all very interesting since Monday night (March 2nd) a bill was pushed through that expands his powers greatly to deal with this virus.
So if he thinks it's being over hyped, then why the $40 million to be used to combat it? And why does it give him so much ability to control the citizens?
spectrumlocalnews.com... rus
In the bill it says, "the governor may by executive order temporarily suspend any statute, local law, ordinance, or orders, rules or regulations, or parts thereof, of any agency during a state disaster emergency..." It goes on to list all the disasters and emergencies possible, epidemic included of course. legislation.nysenate.gov...
edit on 4-3-2020 by Ellie Sagan because: link

edit on 4-3-2020 by Ellie Sagan because: No idea why link won't work, keeps cutting off.

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Cuomo is a Democrat/progressive... Where the heck did you get that false claim that he is a "right-winger"?... He isn't...

Andrew Mark Cuomo is an American politician, author, and lawyer serving as the 56th governor of New York since 2011. A member of the Democratic Party, he was elected to the same position his late father, Mario Cuomo, held...

Andrew Cuomo

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 05:52 AM
link   

BTW, the mortality rate as per WHO is 3.4%, not 1.4%.

Not to mention that in Seattle out of 39 cases 10 people died, that's about 25% death toll from those infected. That's a much higher death toll and it depends on what strain you catch. The L (mutated) strain is a lot more virulent and infectious, with a higher mortality rate. The S (ancestral/original) strain is milder with a lower mortality rate.

Also, the claim that only old people die to it is false. The Chinese doctor and colleague whom brought the virus to the world's attention were both young, and several young people have died throughout the world. Like i wrote earlier, it depends on what strain you catch.

edit on 6-3-2020 by ElectricUniverse because: correct comment.

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 06:01 AM
link   

China is under-reporting cases.

Here is what a Chinese citizen taped in Wuhan. Since he posted that he has gone missing. The journalist claims that the CCP is saying they have him, the citizen journalist, under control. Which means he was detained and whom knows what happened to him.

Here are some other Chinese people whom have been trying to report that the CCP is hiding information about the COVID-19.

posted on Mar, 7 2020 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Cuomo is a gun grabbing Stalinist... Nothing "right" about that animal..

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 01:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: face23785
Watch the press conference

Among notable things he says:

- 80% of people who contract the virus "self-resolve" or they get better with their own immune response and maybe some mild OTC medications

- Children appears to be less susceptible to this virus than to the flu

- Most people who get seriously ill from this virus are elderly people with underlying medical conditions

- The 1.4% mortality rate that's projected by WHO is based largely on the cases in China. In countries with better medical standards, like the US, the mortality rate should be lower

- He calls the US the best healthcare system in the world

- People should relax because the facts and the reality of the situation are not as bad as it's being made out

In short, he refuses to fearmonger and toe the party line. He largely echoes things Trump has said, comparing the virus to the flu and saying it's not worth all this panic.

I guess he was just paid off by the RNC to say all this?

March 31, 2020

I bet Governor Andrew Cuomo is a HOARDER by nature. He wants 300,000 hospital face masks, and 40,000 ventilators to assist patients with breathing.

Wonder how many thousands of rolls of Toilet Paper he has stored at the Governor's Mansion?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join