It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

dislexia - genetic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   
um hi im dislexic and i think my mum is to she gets things mixed up a lot just the same as me and shes not that old either lol but yeh my mum is one of a twin (non-identical) and i heard that twins have a high possibilitie of having dislexia.

so could this be passed on to me
i also know that people with dislexia have high iq's sometimes and i dont mine is 114 is their anyway of increasing it (theres no need for any advice for image streaming i sorta can do this already)

anyway thanks in advance to replies

lol ignore the above as no1 is replying

[edit on 10-3-2005 by klain]

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   
im probaly dyslexic too, though ive never been diagnosed. youre IQ ight be higher than what you tested out because of your dyslexia and im sure there are 'mind excersizes' that will increase the IQ # next time you take the test. I dont think IQ is important and is over emphasized by the wrong people, I always get a laugh out of someone who'll get a 130 in one area and think they're a freakin genius
. Imagination is everytihng, silly IQ numbers are nothing.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 04:00 PM
link   
yeh fair point i dont think they show imagination up that well and ihave real trouble with memory in the tests and maths but i passed of the shapes test

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Dyslexia is not associated with any tendency towards higher or lower intelligence.

Depending on the IQ test (there are several, some much better than others), the verbal portion may have a greater weight on the global IQ score of the test. If this was the case, some dyslexics may end up getting IQ scores that are not the best reflections of their underlying intelligence. However, that is only a concern if a significant part of the total weight of the IQ was determined by a section containing reading. In these cases, dyslexics may end up with an underestimated IQ score.

Nonverbal tests are often better proxies of intelligence than verbal tests (which are still good).

I'm not sure where you got the figure about a higher incidence of dyslexia in twins. I honestly don't know about that relationship. However, I have a feeling that what you read was that the incidence of dyslexia is higher in one identical twin if the other identical twin has been diagnosed with dyslexia. If identical twins tend to have dyselxia together more often that fraternal twins have dyslexia together, this trend suggests that there are genetic factors contributing to dyslexia.

It is very likely that dyslexia is rooted (mostly) in genes. Many aspects of reading ability are controlled by genes, and environment doesn't seem to have any great effect on them.

If you have any questions of doubts, PM me, and I can send you references. This thread is interested to me, as I work on a behavior genetics project focusing on verbal, quantitative, and general mental ability.

phaedrus

[edit on 15-3-2005 by phaedrusxxx]

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Klain - I would like to hear a first hand account, as dyslexia is an interesting, however unfortunate, condition.

top topics

join