It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you doing anything differently because of Coronavirus?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: liejunkie01
Yea well I got a family of seven. The way some of y'all are talking I am as good as dead. We started this beautiful Sunday with a trip to the park where my kids mingled with lots of others. Then we visited animals at the pet shelter. Now we are all at international Mall next to Tampa airport. Just had Chinese and Chipotle and my youngest three are having a blast running around with the kids at the playground here while myy older two explore the mall. This place is as packed as any weekend, lines at the food court including Chinese.

Clearly this hysteria is coming from you older 50+ folks, cuz the forty and under crowd, we living our regular daily lives just fine without a care in the world. In three months time you will all be laughing at yourselves. Did I mention I have been sick since Thursday?? Nope have not even visited a doctor or taken meds or nothing. I suspect with the tickle in my ear from yesterday it is likely an ear infection. Nope I will not visit a physician so her, because I am already feeling much better especially after working at the paintball Saturday outside all day. A facility with no running water or electricity just wilderness, people And paintball!!

Yea guys, I bet I will be dead in no time.... Not.

I even threw in augusuts's joke three times at the mall. Only one person even turned their head, and only because I was on a crowded elevator with about twenty ppl. Everyone else was busy in their chatter.

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: EnigmaChaser

I'm using the free hand sanitizer that we have at work a little more dilligently.

And I'm increasing my vitamin C intake slightly.

I normally keep up my 'flu shots and oral anti-bacterials, so no difference there.

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: Atsbhct

I have a couple clients that have canceled their business trips to Asia as a precaution.
Not really worried about the flu just avoiding a travel ban.
Haven’t heard anyone cancel in Mexico or Canada.

We have a 3 year old with type 1 diabetes, and it's about 50/50 in the diabetes community for parents cancelling March Break trips, etc. mostly for fear of getting stuck somewhere and the logistical complications that could happen regarding diabetes care. Some families are very worried about getting Covid-19, or their t1d kid getting it, as these kids are technically immune-compromised (debatable case by case). It's a big topic in that niche community right now.

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAY1980
I live in an isolated mountain community of few thousand people. Nothing has changed here much. The opposite is true here too. If you don't stock a month worth of supplies at all times you get laughed at...

That's the other thing ... out in the Midwest you always carry a little extra, especially through the winter because you never know when the next big winter storm could come through. For my folks out in the country, it's especially important. They've had times in the past when their power has been out for days to weeks because that's how long it takes power crews to get out to the sticks.

So they always lay in a bit more this time of year. Lucky for them this has been a milder winter, so they haven't eaten into it like they might otherwise. So their only big worry for this is getting the medications they need.

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

If it were only people over 50 we might assume they were benefiting from greater experience and having seen more situations play out. If the younger people were the only ones panicking I'd feel inclined to ignore it. Easy to overreact when you've never lived through any major hardships or crises to compare to. No, when the older generation starts worrying, that speaks volumes to me.

That being said, I'm only in my 30's. I'm preparing because I'm responsible for two children who are counting on me to keep them safe. I don't want to have to explain why I failed to act if things go further south. If it all blows over, well then I get to take a vacation from the store for a month. Fine by me.

edit on 1-3-2020 by Occam78 because: Mobile

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Trying to be quiet. I just quit smoking about a year ago, and I still have that little cough yet. Don't want to get lynched for it. Not worried about the latest scare.

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Yea well I got a family of seven. The way some of y'all are talking I am as good as dead. We started this beautiful Sunday with a trip to the park where my kids mingled with lots of others. Then we visited animals at the pet shelter. Now we are all at international Mall next to Tampa airport. Just had Chinese and Chipotle and my youngest three are having a blast running around with the kids at the playground here while myy older two explore the mall. This place is as packed as any weekend, lines at the food court including Chinese. 

I am glad you went out and had a great time with your family. I am curious though, will you still be going out in public places when this virus gets close to your home and people are panicking? I believe with it starting to spread across the country more, it is not contained.

While I understand your sentiment, I believe things will be different in the event that people are possibly going to be getting sick and possibly dying in your area. Just because it hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean it won't.

Clearly this hysteria is coming from you older 50+ folks, cuz the forty and under crowd, we living our regular daily lives just fine without a care in the world.

While I am flattered, and I will take your statement as a compliment that I seem a little older with more knowledge than I am, being one year older than 40.

Also I understand that you don't have a care in the world. But in my opinion, having a family of seven you should definitely have a little bit more vigilance and foresight to be able to protect your family in a time of crisis or need. To do other wise and stick your head in the sand "without a care in the world" is doing a disservice to you and your family.

Did I mention I have been sick since Thursday?? Nope have not even visited a doctor or taken meds or nothing. I suspect with the tickle in my ear from yesterday it is likely an ear infection. 

My children have had a bout with a little bit of the chest and head cold themselves. My oldest has an ear infection. Unlike you I take the health of my children seriously and have gotten them the proper antibiotics, mainly for the ear infection, that are needed.

Kudos to you for having a superior immune system.

Yea guys, I bet I will be dead in no time.... Not. 

All I can say to this, is not by taking proper precautions in life and living without a care in the world could possibly be a devastating event for you and your family. I suggest you investigate the numbers of this virus and consider that you have seven people in your family. Do the math and figure the likelyhood that one of your family will contract it.

I even threw in augusuts's joke three times at the mall. Only one person even turned their head, and only because I was on a crowded elevator with about twenty ppl. Everyone else was busy in their chatter.

Again, it's all fun and games as long it isn't affecting you and your family. Time will tell if your sentiment changes with the infection rate and public panic.

Good luck
edit on 1-3-2020 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Occam78

Entirely fair response.

Here’s the thing - at least as I see it. The herd will “freak out” but they were swayed easily to freak out. They bought the MSM headlines and didn’t think beyond them. That’s normal.

The issue comes in from the economic standpoint when enough people say “this isn’t that’s big of deal” and suddenly the economy/markets/etc. snap back and do so sharply - and those who were preparing for the “worst case scenario” get left behind.

Think of it like this... humans - in general - think about bad things and then go to the extreme because they feel loss much more than gain - and they worry incessantly. So much of the economic action now is out of panic - not out of sound thought. That’s emotion and very short term - because humans can’t stay in one emotional state for that long. If they could - depression or unhappiness would be gone! But it’s not. Because we have a range of emotions which can be easily swayed for emotional people - which is most people.

You mentioned the “economic” aspect of this. Well, I’m a person who can tell you fact-based that retirees don’t matter for the economy. They die, their money goes to someone else and it gets spent. Period. Some people will freak out over that but it’s true. When most of us die, there’s a dozen or so people who really care - the balance will forget you existed in short order. So while we sit back and think these things are so impactful the reality is that it isn’t - and you and me aren’t that impactful either.

Couple million dead? Doesn’t matter. Hundred million dead? Depending on who they are - doesn’t matter. From an economic perspective that is.

There’s a reason why economics is called “the dismal science”. It doesn’t have feelings. It just is what it is. I’ve worked in a field that will beat the feeling out of you and get you down to what is for over a decade - and economics is a huge part of my job.

I mourn the loss of life but economically speaking this is a short-term freak out that will go away just as fast as it came. The difference is I’m plowing into the market and most people aren’t - so I’ll make money and they’ll lose.

December 2018 is another example - I buy, everyone else sells - and made a nice profit off that.

End rant from the economic perspective but you have to be really convicted to say this is a pending recession - and I think that’s entire incorrect and pure fear peddling. But, to each their own.

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Absolutely nothing different. This panic mode is just ridiculous.

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 08:52 PM
link   

SAN ANTONIO, Texas (KXAN) — San Antonio Mayor Ron Nirenberg said Sunday that the CDC released a patient who later came back positive for a COVID-19 reading.
In a Facebook post, he said the center released the patient from the Texas Center for Infectious Disease. The patient has since returned to the TCID for more testing and monitoring to verify the latest reading.

retested and positive

Here we go

ETA: I though I was on the updates thread, I'll leave it here and if a model wants to delete it then thays fine.

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I really should have took a picture. If I tell you there were little Chinese looking kids and little Indian kids playing gleefully with everyone else. Like a caricature of fear. Should I have left immediately?? You think us all are boiling frogs in a pot???

All I see is a repeated pattern of deep state sponsored fear mongering for financial gain.

You got to admit that Augustus joke was funnny. I may just message one of various YouTube pranksters to see if they can do it better on video. I wasn't really giving it my Hollywood.

How many ppl would even get the cruise reference I guess??

Moving on, I'm trying to say that this is part of human life, but the hysteria is manufactured. Roll the dice or not, survivors have an advantage over the unexposed. That advantage will be passed on through the bloodline.

My children shall rule with robots and anti drone weapons *queue manical insane laughter* !!!

Whatever. Clearly I will need a break till this virus blows over, it's all that's going to fill this forum until the summer.

Ehh... well, I suppose it's better than tds soap opera. Where's Ebola map guy, maybe he can stop by with a covfefeID19 map to spam the forums with every other week.

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 09:05 PM
link   

The only ones who get hurt are the ones who don't have the time to wait it out.

So long as the government doesn't get too involved with "helping" it out, the economy should bounce back as soon as people recover and things smooth out. Business will get back to normal in a few years at the longest in all probability ... if that long.

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 09:21 PM
link   

My concern with Covid-19 is what will happen if it gets widespread enough that people will be at home with pneumonia with no healthcare available because every bed is full, there's not enough supplemental oxygen around, or medications, etc.

That said, I'm taking the opportunity to be more aware of avoiding other people's germs. Most people are disgusting trolls. I know this from observing how many don't wash their hands after using the bathroom. Taking it as a wakeup call to be stocked up with a few months of needs and emergency cash (as in, in my safe, not the ATM.)

I'm spraying my office down with disinfectant after customers leave, especially those on student visas from China. I rarely get sick - wife had a horrible cold (lungs, throat, sinuses) for 2 weeks. Son got it a bit. I slept in bed with her, took care of her, close contact enough to get most sick. Didn't get a touch of it.

I'm not worried about getting sick. I'm a bit concerned about carrying viruses to my parents. I'm more concerned about a panicking populace buying up essentials, or shut-downs leading to supply shortages. I'm ahead of it all now though, and intend to stay that way permanently.

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 09:40 PM
link   

I do not know if you are paying attention or not, but there are two confirmed cases in Tampa.

I do not know where you are at, but the numbers are going up almost hourly now here in the states.

Like I said, doctors don't use hazmat gear for the flu. Cities are not shut down for the flu.

So whether you think this is media fear running the show, that is fine by me. Some can see the writing on the wall, others only see the wall.

Time will tell, and the clock is ticking in Tampa along with the rest of the world.

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: dogstar23

My concern with Covid-19 is what will happen if it gets widespread enough that people will be at home with pneumonia with no healthcare available because every bed is full, there's not enough supplemental oxygen around, or medications, etc.

That said, I'm taking the opportunity to be more aware of avoiding other people's germs. Most people are disgusting trolls. I know this from observing how many don't wash their hands after using the bathroom. Taking it as a wakeup call to be stocked up with a few months of needs and emergency cash (as in, in my safe, not the ATM.)

I'm spraying my office down with disinfectant after customers leave, especially those on student visas from China. I rarely get sick - wife had a horrible cold (lungs, throat, sinuses) for 2 weeks. Son got it a bit. I slept in bed with her, took care of her, close contact enough to get most sick. Didn't get a touch of it.

I'm not worried about getting sick. I'm a bit concerned about carrying viruses to my parents. I'm more concerned about a panicking populace buying up essentials, or shut-downs leading to supply shortages. I'm ahead of it all now though, and intend to stay that way permanently.

IMO - all reasonable concerns.

That said, do you really think the populace is panicking? Think about that... the average person isn’t smart. Seriously. They can’t scale/think/etc. even if they full blown panic now they’ll be over it in a few months. Seriously.

The thing you really need to be scared about is the thing that no one is paying attention to. If all eyes are on a problem - it won’t be a problem for long. If no one is looking - or never looks - that’s where the real issues are.

That’s a long way of saying I think your heart is in the right place but you should put your head on the pillow and not become a germaphobe - chances are this is just one more brick in the wall of people fretting things that aren’t the real thing to worry about.

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 10:22 PM
link   

I can honestly say I've seen quite a few panics come and go. I'd normally only give this one a slightly raised eyebrow too. As you say the economy takes hits often, and always recovers in fairly short order. It's the unprecedented extreme action being taken that alarms me. I just don't feel like we have many recent events to compare to, because we have never seen this level of reaction before. I'm not convinced it's going to wind up being catastrophic, and I'm equally unconvinced that it won't. I wish I had data or recent history to reference, but I think we're in new territory with this one. We've cried wolf a ton of times, but if any situation has had the potential to actually be that bad this one seems like a decent candidate.

I keep hearing this argument that old people don't contribute enough to the economy for their deaths to endanger it. I think this is missing the point. It's not about the number of deaths, it is about the number of people (young and old) being pulled from the workforce by lockdown and quarantine. Just because only old people are dying with high frequency does not mean they are the only people out of work. The 100 million under lockdown and not working in China included all age groups and health levels. Economists seem fairly convinced there will be an impact.

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I bought an extra pack of toilet paper in case SHTF scenario like in China. Don't want to run out of that or get held up by people stealing toilet paper. Otherwise I'm still working on moving weekends. It's starting to look like I have less stuff in my old garage. I have lots of old paint and chemicals. I have a lot of bleach. Wondering if I should save some or just hire someone to do a lot of pressure washing. I bought some paint for indoors and some paint hardener for the old stuff. I noticed the stores were crowded but stocked well in SC. In the NC Walmart, they have been out of certain brand pancake mix and a brand of syrup for months. In SC, Girl Scouts were selling cookies at both Lowes and Walmart. I didn't buy any this time because I already stocked up on some dark chocolate cookies the last time Walmart restocked. I noticed they were almost out of those cookies again last week. Walmart is known to run out of stock on certain items for months. It's the biggest reason I often shop elsewhere plus Walmart often has higher prices and their meat is more expensive and of lower quality than other stores. Walmart is still cheaper on some items. I noticed they abandoned their cheapest prices in town motto years ago.

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 11:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Occam78

I can honestly say I've seen quite a few panics come and go. I'd normally only give this one a slightly raised eyebrow too. As you say the economy takes hits often, and always recovers in fairly short order. It's the unprecedented extreme action being taken that alarms me. I just don't feel like we have many recent events to compare to, because we have never seen this level of reaction before. I'm not convinced it's going to wind up being catastrophic, and I'm equally unconvinced that it won't. I wish I had data or recent history to reference, but I think we're in new territory with this one. We've cried wolf a ton of times, but if any situation has had the potential to actually be that bad this one seems like a decent candidate.

I keep hearing this argument that old people don't contribute enough to the economy for their deaths to endanger it. I think this is missing the point. It's not about the number of deaths, it is about the number of people (young and old) being pulled from the workforce by lockdown and quarantine. Just because only old people are dying with high frequency does not mean they are the only people out of work. The 100 million under lockdown and not working in China included all age groups and health levels. Economists seem fairly convinced there will be an impact.

I agree with your point about the quarantine/lockdown concern - if this actually comes to pass.

I encourage people to take a good deep look inside and ask themselves how many times they’ve said to themselves “it’s different this time”. Probably a lot.

For instance... how did you feel about your Investment accounts in July/August of 2011? Probably not great. US sovereign debt got downgraded. Markets tanked. But did you remember that and al the hyperbole around it until I said this? Nope. Why? Because it wasn’t different that time. People adapted, capitalism took over, the “new normal” was accepted and on we went - and are still going.

Coronavirus is just the same movie in a different theatre.

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Yes for sure, I'm reading a lot about corona virus, it's far more interesting than politics either way you look at it.

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Yea, and???
I'll be here in a month too. We probably all chewed it up and spit it out.
Just for you, I'll give you ground zero updates . would you like them in the new general discussion thread, a new one, or one of the Three dozen or so others??

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join