It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Arizona Meteorite Crater Mystery Solved

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   
For years scientists studying the famous giant meteor crater in Arizona have been puzzled by the lack of melted rock within the crater. The crater which lies in the middle of the desert and is 3/4 of a mile across was formed about 50000 years ago. Scientist now feel they have solved the mystery. The iron meteorite which previously was thought to have been travailing at 12 miles per second, may have been much slower at only 7.5 miles. In addition, the atmospheric friction may have reduced the huge object to that of a giant cloud.

story.news.yahoo.com
LONDON (Reuters) - It's a mystery that has puzzled scientists for years but researchers said Wednesday they have discovered why there isn't much melted rock at the famous Meteor Crater in northern Arizona.

An iron meteorite traveling up to 12 miles per second was thought to have blasted out the huge hole measuring three-quarters of a mile across in the desert.

The impact of an object at that speed should have left large volumes of melted rock at the site. But British and American scientists said the reason it didn't was because the meteorite was traveling slower than previously estimated.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Its interesting to see these mysteries solved with some good detective work. Last winter we saw the crater and its quite impressive. I have to admit I was more than pissed that I had to pay admission and the amount of crap being hawked at the site was a bit much (Don't get me started on paying 10 dollars to see "four corners" either). But if you are int he area it is a must see.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Ten bucks? At the risk of sounding old--it was 1.50, [ my wife disagrees with me, she said it was more,] when I saw it, and I was pissed, but your right, it's a must see.

[edit on 10-3-2005 by kazi]

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Great post

Yeah, I went there about 10 years ago. I agree, quite impressive. Makes you wonder what the impact would have looked like from say... the top of the distant mountains.

Liked your four-corners visit too, huh?
After I got suckered there, I started telling people it was an awesome place to go. They'd remember it for the rest of their lives!
I'm sure they will.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Partyof1
Liked your four-corners visit too, huh?
After I got suckered there, I started telling people it was an awesome place to go.

Now, I pulled up saw all the crap, asked how much and turned the Expedition around
I mean who really cares 4 corners my butt.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I already posted this on ATSNN here this morning. Naughty FredT

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by John Nada
I already posted this on ATSNN here this morning. Naughty FredT

Right you are! I will have one of the editors move it to F/E

join