It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Go or not go?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 08:47 PM
link   
At the end of March my family and I will be taking a cruise from Florida to Cozumel. With so many mixed reports, different view and possibly different agendas that come with the Coronavirus, I am reaching out to the place I feel knows best. Would you go? Does anyone have vacations upcoming vacations and what are your plans?

I am planning on seeing how things play out but am concerned because of my 1 year old. I know the virus hasn’t been in that area but with it being a cruise people fly in from all over to go. Also, I don’t want to get stuck on a boat for weeks.

Thanks for the input I am curious what people in similar situations have planned.

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Suranwrap200

I would not, worst case you end up like a cruise ship last week that wasn't able to dock anywhere.

I would hit them up about a refund because of the virus and see what they say before you make any solid choice.

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Tight quarters with hundreds and hundreds of strangers from all over in an environment known for not being cleaned well and causing the spread of illness.

LOL.

Have a nice trip.

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Man just go. Cruise ships have been sailing non stop around the world since this began. Still are right now. Me personally, I have a philosophy of not traveling outside of America to anywhere not America.

Maybe I'll change that philosophy as I age, but for now I enjoy all the splendid wonders of this country.

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

I would not, worst case you end up like a cruise ship last week that wasn't able to dock anywhere.

I would hit them up about a refund because of the virus and see what they say before you make any solid choice.

I concur.

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Hell no.. I should not have to tell you not to. Unless a miracle happens, the answer is no.

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 08:58 PM
link   

I have a coworker who is from Nepal and is really worried about traveling back home because of her young son. There have been quite a few cases in India I believe, so that's a bit scary for them.

I have zero travel plans myself other than picking up the kiddo from college for summer vacation and that's just a 3 hour drive away from home.

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Stay off cruise ships for now.

They are like a petri dish.

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Good Lord no. I wouldn't even consider taking a 1 year old onto one of those floating town melting pots in the best of times, but with a known pox in play? One would have to be daffy to do it.

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 09:15 PM
link   
If my theory is correct it won’t matter. Like most other flu it is my hope this epidemic will burn out as the weather warms, time will tell. You can always cancel at the last minute.

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I'd go but see if they are willing to throw in a discount or some extras. If the virus is as bad as everyone is saying it is, I'd rather it find me on a cruise ship sipping on some ice cold sweet tea while enjoying daily buffets with my family instead of being locked in my home listening to them complain about being quarantined and eating MREs and canned food because the grocery stores are empty.
edit on 28-2-2020 by Anathros because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Wow, getting the coronavirus with a pretty good chance of getting the norovirus along with it on the cruise ship sounds terrible. You will get an extended vacation when people come down with the norovirus and everyone will be checked for the coronavirus because they are sick and have a fever.

Sounds terrifying, I have the Fut2 genes that protect me somewhat from the norovirus, but it has limited protection. And even if I showed no symptoms, the other people being sick with the norovirus might require everyone to be stuck in their cabin for the whole trip. Hope you got an extra week or two that you are allowed to take off of work, and paid sickleave to use on your cruise.

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
If my theory is correct it won’t matter. Like most other flu it is my hope this epidemic will burn out as the weather warms, time will tell. You can always cancel at the last minute.

Most viruses can't survive if a person has a fever over ninety nine point five if they have adequate immune system chemicals and enzymes. I think that the normal coronavirus is like this too. But if the cabin and areas are air conditioned, then a person shifts the heat to the skin away from the insides and the virus can take hold better. It can build slowly and then trigger a high fever when the viruses numbers grow. That is why there is not much virus activity in the summer as much, people's inside temperature is higher and it helps to kill the virus when it is just starting.

That is what I read about general viruses, but I am not sure that it applies to this particular mutated coronavirus.

www.bmj.com...
edit on 28-2-2020 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Ask the cruise line for a free room upgrade to a suite as compensation in the event of a Diamond Princess situation. At least you wouldn't be stuck in a windowless inside cabin for the duration. You'd have more room and a balcony in a suite.

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 10:13 PM
link   
No, don’t go! Even if there’s no virus on board, you risk being quarantined for weeks over one person being sick while they run tests , then quarantined again in another country. Also some ports in the Caribbean are not allowing ships to dock, so you might not get to do any excursions. It will be worse as time goes by, closer to your departure date. Could be the vacation from hell

edit on 28-2-2020 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 10:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anathros
I'd go but see if they are willing to throw in a discount or some extras. If the virus is as bad as everyone is saying it is, I'd rather it find me on a cruise ship sipping on some ice cold sweet tea while enjoying daily buffets with my family instead of being locked in my home listening to them complain about being quarantined and eating MREs and canned food because the grocery stores are empty.

Except in the case of sickness on board you are not going to the buffets, a tray of food will dropped beside your cabin door. If you like jail, then go. I’d rather be home under any circumstances.

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Get your money back if you can, in about 3 months cruise companies are going to really hurting and when this scare passes there will some bargain basement prices to lure passengers back on.
edit on 28-2-2020 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2020 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I mean I wouldn’t go because cruises suck, but the virus would definitely reinforce my opinion.

posted on Feb, 29 2020 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Not go. My grandmother is going on cruise next month. I tell her to not go on cruise. She's still going. Not gonna argue with her. Hope she'll have a good time. Maybe she change her mind.

Heck maybe all cruises shut down within weeks or months. If this thing got out of hand.
edit on 29-2-2020 by whiteblack because: Add something

posted on Feb, 29 2020 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Just cancelled my cruise with my daughter. Taking no chances. I was told that since it is less than 1 month that I can only get 30% refunded. Didn't really want to go as I haven taken many and not a fan. And don't want to fly either.

My precious daughter is 36 and not a vulnerable 1 year old.

No way. Cancel.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join