It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spongebob and ADHD?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I saw the banner over on the right side of the screen and a thought popped into my head. SB is a very erratic character, always bouncing around and going at max speed. Just like my youngest daughter (9), strong case of ADHD. I wondered, "Do these kids identify with SB"? My 10 year old girl, not ADHD, will watch it but couldn't really care less. So my question is, do ADHD kids identify with SB, or is it just a coincidence?

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 08:09 PM
link   
i think it's a coincidence. If you look at most cartoons of the past many of them were 'hyper-active'. Maybe the original creators thought to reflect the attitudes of children through cartoons, there in giving them something to identify with. Bugs bunny himself was quite active alot as i remmber from my youth

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I saw the banner over on the right side of the screen and a thought popped into my head. SB is a very erratic character, always bouncing around and going at max speed. Just like my youngest daughter (9), strong case of ADHD. I wondered, "Do these kids identify with SB"? My 10 year old girl, not ADHD, will watch it but couldn't really care less. So my question is, do ADHD kids identify with SB, or is it just a coincidence?

look at cartoons...

all cartoons are about characters doing crazy things at high speeds

this is the beauty of it

leave spongebob alone

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Yea I think you're reading into it too much. Besides who wants to watch cartoons that dont jump around do stuff in a fraction of a second!

Thats right LEAVE SB ALONE! he's soooooooo cuuuuuuuuuuuutee!

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 07:21 PM
link   
That's an interesting proposition, Intrepid. I suffer from ADHD and love Sponge Bob Square Pants. Maybe we fill homage in the fact that we're not the only eratic and impulsive freaks on this planet.

Deep

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I think The MR. T cartoon back in the 80's is the root of my Bipolar Disorder. But seriously, with all the rapid, jerky movements and one scene quickly changing to the next that make up the Spongebob cartoon maybe it causes some sort of adverse reaction in the mind. Sitting there watching things happening so quickly and going by so fast might mess up attention spans and other things.

Remember that Japanese cartoon on The Simpsons, Seizure Robots?

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   
The other week my six year old Grandson, Tyler and I were watching a dvd of SpongeBob episodes that I had purchased. I was wearing my Sponge Bob sky blue lounging shorts (Now... That's a visual!
)

my Grandson turned to me and in this very serious, philosophic voice said, "Ya know Paw paw, En SpongeBob Veritas".

He's really cool! And Patrick reminds me of my younger brother!

top topics

join