It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey new members!! Come here if you need advice

page: 50
<< 47  48  49    51  52  53 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Liam.

I'm not unlike yourself...mostly a reader, myself.

If you want to post...from my experiences..

If you leave personal opinion at the door and do the research and post evidence, with links...you have no worries.
If you feel you need to voice a personal opinion...make the statement IMO..in my opinion...and don't get personal, or take what others reply as personal, "even if it is" ...those two tid bits will make your visits to ATS longer and more enjoyable over the years...from my POV..
Hope I helped...

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Liam.
Im new and after reading through many intresting threads, I feel scared to make a reply. Everyone here seems so clever and intelligent (Well about 80%). I dont want to sound insane with some of the contributions I might make.

You sound just fine Liam. Don't be scared about how you sound, just speak your mind if you feel like it. Talk about what you find interesting, and why. If you're worried about sounding insane -- have you read some of the more outrageous threads here?

Welcome to ATS...

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Thanks, Ill now explore this online world in more confidence

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Hi. I'm wondering a few things. The 20 post rule: can you only post on the introduction forum until you have 20 posts? If not, where else can I post?

Do you have to ask permission to post writing in the writing section only if you are a newbie before 20 posts? OR is the rule for everyone? Can you be a fighter and a writer at the same time?

What are some other basic limitations before 20 posts?

Oh and the my other question which may sound kind of dumb but what is "Flag contribution level" on the side of the username?

Thanks in advance

[edit on 5-7-2010 by kalinda]

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by kalinda

Hi, there.
You're not restricted to the Introductions forum when making individual posts towards the 20- but I think the rules for entry to the Writer's forum apply to everyone.
Your "flag contribution level" starts filling up when you start making threads and other members attach Flags to them, showing how important they are.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Hey, kalinda

As far as I'm aware, you can ONLY post in the introductions forum before reaching your 20 posts, I would assume (and you may want to wait for confirmation from a mod if you like) however that the rule would apply for the writing forum as well as I see no reason why it wouldn't tbh.

Also you could always ask a moderator (as you can ONLY U2U moderators before reaching 20 posts) if you could make a thread on the main boards but it won’t always be allowed still but it’s worth asking if you feel it’s important.

Can you be a fighter and a writer at the same time?

Yes, you can also become a scholar at the same time as being a fighter and a writer as well.

You may find these links helpful on what each of these statuses is and what you need to do to achieve them.

A Fighter

Want To Be A Writer ?? Please Read.

“New Scholars” Guide to the Research Forum

What are some other basic limitations before 20 posts?

As I’ve mentioned you can only U2U (send a private message) to another member once you have reached 20 posts, before you have reached it however you can always contact a mod regardless of post count.

Oh and the my other question which may sound kind of dumb but what is "Flag contribution level" on the side of the username?

Here you go, this thread should explain your flag contribution level.

Hope I was helpful!

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Against
Hey, kalinda

As far as I'm aware, you can ONLY post in the introductions forum before reaching your 20 posts,

I believe there's a little ambiguity here. The verb "post" has more thsn one meaning on this site.
I think my respected friend RA is talking about "post" in the sense of "starting a new thread".
An ordinary post towards the 20 can certainly be done on other forums, on other people's threads. I did it myself, and I've watched other people doing it.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

Ah, thanks alot for clarifying that DISRAELI!

Sorry for the rookie mistake as well btw.

Damn my feeble attempt at being helpful.

Anyway, Yes, I meant to say you can only post a thread in the introductions forum before reaching 20 posts.

Just about eveywhere else is available for posting normally.

[edit on 5-7-2010 by Rising Against]

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Thanks all for clarifying the rules etc. I'll follow that link about the contribution level.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Hey guys i am a complete newbie to forum posting full stop.

This site seems pretty cool i must admit, one of the few forums i have found that actually interests me, if anyone would like to adopt me that would be amazing, but if not i am sure i can navigate my way round.

Thanks for taking the time to read this

Regards

dr.poisonfreak

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I cant seem to figure out where to introduce myself.
When I try to post in the introduction thread, it doesnt work, lol

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Question about the Research Forum:

I have been doing research into the subject of consciousness for some 37 years and would like to discuss that research with others. But when I tried to post a message to that effect, the response came back that I do not have permission to post on the Research Forum.

What does one have to do to qualify for posting on that forum?

(Hope I have permission to say something on this forum.)

Thanks,

Michael Cecil

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by asala

Thanks for this helpful forum.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
It really seems I hit a mine-field around here whenever I try to say anything.

I go someplace for more information and the link no longer works.

I post a message and there is no reply.

I can't get information about U2U but am told that I can't do that.

I'm told to contact a moderator but can't get any information about how that is done or whether that is even possible since I haven't posted 20 messages.

Posted 20 messages where?

How is it possible to post messages at all other than the introduction forum?

This gives me the impression of a building in which all the doors and windows have been locked.

Maybe you have enough members and you really don't want any more?

Michael Cecil

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Michael Cecil
Question about the Research Forum:

I have been doing research into the subject of consciousness for some 37 years and would like to discuss that research with others. But when I tried to post a message to that effect, the response came back that I do not have permission to post on the Research Forum.

What does one have to do to qualify for posting on that forum?

Hey Michael.

First off you might want to see these helpful links before participating in the 'Research Forum'

NEED TO KNOW

Research Forum: Information and Guidelines

“New Scholars” Guide to the Research Forum

Research Forum Levels of Research

You can read the rest of the stickied topics here.

FYI: Stickied topics are the topic that remain at the top of the page and have a green marker (sometimes a lock marker also) to the left of the thread title.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Michael Cecil

I can't get information about U2U but am told that I can't do that.

Hey Again Michael, Ok, don’t worry man, You can send U2U’s right now but the catch is you’re not allowed to send U2U’s to other members as you don’t have 20 posts, the rule’s in effect to stop new members coming in here and spamming other members via U2U which surely you can understand.

I'm told to contact a moderator but can't get any information about how that is done or whether that is even possible since I haven't posted 20 messages.

Well, follow this link first off.

Once you’ve followed that link try scrolling down the page till you see links to a bunch of usernames. (Like in the image I have shown below)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dec600339e25.jpg[/atsimg]

Click on one of the names (as it’s a link to one of the many Moderators which are the only members here you have access to for sending a U2U) and you can then send them a U2U asking for any help you may need and as I have mentioned you CAN send this U2U because U2U’ing to staff members ONLY is allowed.

Posted 20 messages where?

Don’t worry, you can post in just about any other forum on the boards, apart from a couple of restricted forums such as R.A.T.S or the ‘ATS Council.

Just find a forum that you find interesting, then a thread and then if you wish you can reply to it giving your opinion.

How is it possible to post messages at all other than the introduction forum?

I’m assuming you are talking about posting a thread and not a reply to an existing thread.

If so then sadly this is not possible right now as the 20 posts rule is in effect here as well and as well as restrictions on U2U’ing there are restrictions on thread making which (from my understanding) is in effect to stop spammers coming here and mindlessly spamming the boards.

You should know though that 20 posts is actually a very very small number to achieve and it’s no exaggeration that many members here have actually managed it in one day flat, so just find a thread where you feel your opinion could matter and don’t be afraid to post.

Also BTS might be a good place for you to visit as well as it’s a lot more relaxed than ATS and posting is made a lot easier.

Just remember you have to log in with all the same details and you’re good to go.

I hope you’ve found this helpful and I hope I see you around.

[edit on 7-7-2010 by Rising Against]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
usually just stick to reading, but ats has provento be a good site on alternative news updates. get a lot more perspectives here.

but for every intelligent post theres 10 that arent.

hello all, just trying to get my 20 out of the way

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
How do I edit my signature?

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
How do I edit my signature?

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Jefferson

Click on Member Tools near the top of the page, then click on the ATS Account Settings option. That gives you a screen which includes a space to edit your signature.

top topics

<< 47  48  49    51  52  53 >>

join