It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey new members!! Come here if you need advice

page: 41
<< 38  39  40    42  43  44 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by okbmd

can someone please explain to me how to insert a quote from a thread,into my reply to said thread?

How I do it:

I copy the text I want to quote, hit the REPLY TO: button in the post, I hit the "Quote" button (my formatting mode top left is set to Normal) then I paste the text in the pop-up box.

[edit on 3/7/2010 by UberL33t]

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Thanks, I will try that.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Hey thanks, I will take you up on your offer for advice. I have a few questions which are most likely either A) already answered in this thread (which i did not read) or B) could be found in one of those help thingamajiggies on the top of the screen. But I find that learning is best(for me) when theres communication between two people(and when one of them is me). So, why do I care if someone stars my thread, or flags it? What if they star it but don't flag it? Or visa versa? Why should I perform the stated actions at someone else's thread? If I do not star or flag someone thread but I do post a comment(and the comment doesn't give away any clues to the fact), will that still be seen by others as "he didn't agree at all with the OP or else he would've starred/flagged it"? What does it mean when someone has "second line" typed into the bottom of their post? Do you hire people to come on here and get people hyped up? (half kidding) Would you LIKE to? (am I still kidding?) All kidding aside, great site you got here, theres definitely legitimite stories floating around in here which are either never reported by MSN or reported way late and with distorted facts. And I've checked out other similiar sites I won't mention, and as crazy as this one is, it's the best one around impo. Can't wait to get my 20 posts in and help evolve some minds.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by doctor j and inmate c5779

So, why do I care if someone stars my thread, or flags it?

A "flag" is awarded when your thread is deemed "good content" by other members. You can Flag a thread, Starsare given to posts,

What if they star it but don't flag it?

Again if you started a thread it can be flagged, Some will Star and flag it, Flagging will bring it to the attention of other members on the board via the "Hot topic" tabs at the top of the ATS page, You can be "starred" for a post rather than a thread, Again its people agreeing with your opinion,

Why should I perform the stated actions at someone else's thread?

Its totally up to you,
If you agree with something someone says then to star it shows that, If you believe a thread is pretty important and should be made aware to other ATS members then you flag it,

If I do not star or flag someone thread but I do post a comment(and the comment doesn't give away any clues to the fact), will that still be seen by others as "he didn't agree at all with the OP or else he would've starred/flagged it"?

Flags and Stars are Anonymous,

What does it mean when someone has "second line" typed into the bottom of their post?

We have a one liner rule on posts, (Example: Simply posting "yea" ect We tend to like our members to give good content. Ie Why you agree, and what brought you to that conclusion,
One Line Post

Do you hire people to come on here and get people hyped up?

Gosh no! Our members are very intelligent and we would never even fathom doing such a thing,

(half kidding) Would you LIKE to? (am I still kidding?)

lol No way

[edit on 8-3-2010 by asala]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by okbmd

It seems like we have a bit to learn in order to navigate the site. I have a feeling that it will be worth it though.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by HombreAlone

Same here. I have visited the site before but didn't realize that there was so much to learn.

From the things I have read though, I think it will be worth the extra effort.

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I was recently informed about ATS when another site I regularly visited became really slow....

There is so much here! I look forward to exploring ATS.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Hello, I just signed up after coming to this site almost everyday since I was 18. I will be 24 in a couple of weeks. I must say ATS has influenced my thinking, worldview, political views, etc. The reason I've never signed up quite simply put is that just reading threads and following what others have said has satisfied me enough over the years that I felt no need to put my 2 cents in when so many others would be saying what I thought, or answering questions I had without me even asking them. The reason I'm signing up now is well, I know almost no one in real life who can relate to how I feel about the government, religion, life, or any other "hot button topic" I think this may be one of the only places I can come to actually discuss this stuff without being told to turn it on American Idol, and have someone actually care. So nice to finally be a part of it. =)

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by LifesaGiftAL44

I know almost no one in real life who can relate to how I feel about the government, religion, life, or any other "hot button topic" I think this may be one of the only places I can come to actually discuss this stuff without being told to turn it on American Idol, and have someone actually care. So nice to finally be a part of it. =)

I'm glad you finally logged-in, and I think you'll find most of us are real, at least in our own lives.
Start a thread in "Introductions", and I'll give you a reply & flag.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

And take a look at this:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Tell us a bit about you, monitor your public profile and stats, etc.......

We all lurk, but you're always on the outside looking in.
I think you know by now that the people here are very diverse. You will always find members that think the ideas you have are totally nuts. On the other side, just as many will agree with you and take the topics that interest you to a whole new level.

Welcome to the community, and I look forward to seeing what you have to say.

Edit: I always edit because I still screw up posting a link. :bnghd:

[edit on 16/3/2010 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
The previous post was not off topic. It was my introduction as well as all my questions to the general forum. I would like to hear any opinions on this. My name is Ben, you can also refer to me as Gravitti or Sekurun Mi. Please remember that there are 26 letters in the English language, and what a matrix is.

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by SekurunMi

Hey there, If you have an issue with an action here taken against you, you are more than welcome to use the complaint feature, you will find that in "Members tools" at the top of the page, We are more than happy to discuss such things and help explain reasons,

It would be great if you could make an intro post of your own and then the members can get to know you

If you need any help be sure to let me know as im more than willing to help you fit in well on the ats forums,

Asala,

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Can anyone please let me know if I can change the ATS colour scheme, I struggle to read white or yellow writing on the black/grey background.

Thanks in anticipation

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by marmitenews

Hey there,

Yes its at the topleft of the page! Just under the ATS Logo!
should say "go light" or "Go dark"

Let me know if you find it ok x

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by asala

Thanks, I had set it to 'go light' already but that only changes the thread background/text and not the banners or menus on the side bar ( or the nasty yellow text on grey where you type your response to threads

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Daring to sound like a total noobie, (which I am!
) I was wondering if there is a list of definitions for abbreviations here. I have found a website with an article called "Forum Speak" that explains a lot abbreviations, but it doesn't include all of them. For instance, I keep seeing "OP" on here but haven't managed to figure that one out.

I'm sure once you explain that one to me it will be a forehead hitter!

Thanks for all of your help and letting us ask "stupid" questions!

[edit on 25-3-2010 by WhatTheHeck]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by WhatTheHeck

There's no such thing as a stupid question if you don't know the answer......
OP usually stands for the "Original Post" that starts a thread or the "Original Poster".

For the most part, I think ATS frowns on txt or web speak because as you've seen yourself, not everyone understand it. Stick to English as best you can and most of the members will know what you have to say.

There is a site that you can type in any abbreviations and get the meaning:
blog.urbandictionary.com...

If you type OP in the search box it will be the first definition.

[edit on 25/3/2010 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by anxietydisorder

Thank you for the answer and the link! I was kind of thinking that's what it meant, but better to ask and be sure!

That link has already given me quite a few answers

And I like the idea of sticking to English, so I'll probably just learn some of the abbreviations for future reference - or at least keep the urban dictionary on hand!

Thanks, again,

WTHeck

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Hey, anytime I can help.

And I have one more thread that is great for bbcode on these boards.
The author is "loam", and he put a lot of thought and work into a comprehensive guide to all the keyboard inputs that you can use on ATS/BTS.

www.abovetopsecret.com...&flagit=450084

Have some fun.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Hello, I am new and literally just joined. My problem is, that the verification mail with my password never reached my inbox. I am using a german mailing provider (www.freenet.de).

I cannot change my mail to resend verification either, because I need the password that I never got.

Could anyone help me with this problem?

new topics

top topics

<< 38  39  40    42  43  44 >>

join