It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NHS Weakest Coronavirus patients will be denied lifesaving care

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2020 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Whereas our system is pure money driven, no logic needed...

I'd start avoiding the restaurants, at least those that are paying crap wages and not offering paid sick days..
The uninsured, low paid workers are more than likely gonna bypass the healthcare system and show up at work even if they are feeling a tad bit under the weather.
Money driven.. but there is really no logic in not assuring the people who handle our food have access to affordable healthcare.

posted on Feb, 27 2020 @ 11:15 AM
link   
When this virus takes hold and causes very bad symptoms, it has already caused some serious damage, quality of life needs to be considered after the illness too. This is a taxing virus if your immune system is compromised. Also remember that this virus only seems to kill or severly effect very young kids and very elderly or sickly people the worst. Throwing a hundred grand at an eighty three year old sickly person is not going to save them if they already were having major health issues.

In our healthcare system they do not put you high up on a list for a liver or kidney transplant if you are old and sickly here. The same has to go for treating this virus. It would be better to be helping more middle age people than very old frail people who probably will not survive no matter what is done, or who will be bedridden the rest of their lives. If I got sick and was in poor shape, I would decline treatment if I had no quality of life to look forward to. I am almost sixty five. I would rather they concentrate more on the young who have lots of life in front of them, what is my life plan now......staying out of the nursing homes and trying to deflect meds that take away my ability to reason. The doctor said I should go on two different meds when I was there, both block choline, I do not want to be dumbed down, I said no.

My bloodwork shows I was not at risk, but the doctor suggested drugs as prevention...NADA, NO, I will adjust my diet to fix what I need to fix, my Cholesterol was just a dozen points above normal and my HDL was high. Athletes have high cholesterol because they have lots of muscle, I have lots of muscle left.

I was skinny at 250 pounds fifteen years ago., but according to the formula I was obese....I asked the doctor if I looked fat and she said I was mostly muscle with very little fat, I asked her why she didn't look at me before stating that the figures said I was obese. She just laughed and said she was required to inform me that I was over the weight for my height.
edit on 27-2-2020 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2020 @ 11:18 AM
link   
You have to do the most good with the resources that you have

There are a lot of people who seem to think that medical resources have no limits.

In the time of crisis, you need to maximize the potential for positive outcomes.

posted on Feb, 27 2020 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Wildbob77

You have to do the most good with the resources that you have

YES that is what I am saying, We are one of the most powerful nations on earth and it appears we can't even handle a small portion of a cruise ship. That is a little concerning. If we do not have the resources for that, if something does break out, we are all screwed.

posted on Feb, 27 2020 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Then I read about the people they wanted to send to the FEMA camp in Alabama

Where did you read that ?
Cite source.

posted on Feb, 27 2020 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

??? It was the administration that decided they were going there. Who knows, maybe they threw a dart at the map and pick whatever govt facility that was closest to it to send them to.
But it's my understanding the state balked because they were given too little time to prepare.

posted on Feb, 27 2020 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Coronavirus: Weakest patients could be denied lifesaving care due to lack of funding for NHS, doctors admit......Those denied intensive care beds could be those suffering with coronavirus or other seriously ill patients, with priority given to those most likely to survive and recover.

Could be denied and will be denied are two different things , I guess they could be denied if their underlying health problems mean they are near end of life so taking up intensive care beds for patients who won't recover makes no sense.

I'm currently working for the NHS supply chain so am in and around hospitals all day , I've taken a Corona blood sample from one hospital to another today without concern , there are worse things out there.

The NHS is struggling because it's Winter and to an extent because of mismanagement and waste , at the moment Coronavirus is not a problem in the UK as I believe we have just 15 identified cases , even if or when the cases multiply the NHS will cope and will receive funding from government to meet the problem and tackle it.

As long as you're reasonably fit and healthy Coronavirus is no worse than the flu , I'm not downplaying it as people have died but the hype doesn't match the reality.
edit on 27-2-2020 by gortex because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

Then I read about the people they wanted to send to the FEMA camp in Alabama

Where did you read that ?
Cite source.

www.fox10tv.com...

The Department of Health and Human Services announced that a FEMA facility in Anniston will be used to quarantine some passengers from the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Japan. The announcement was made Saturday.

link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: nugget1
I have already self-isolated, but my husband still goes to work every day, and our 14 y/o granddaughter spends every other weekend with us.
If I get this virus, there is no medical intervention that will save me, so I won't waste resources or money seeking treatment.
I'm just thankful for the days I've had, and any tomorrows that may come my way.

Yeah, I'm pretty much the same way.

If and when I do go, I want to do it with dignity, class, and style.

But in reality it'll be with humor, booze, and plenty of screaming.

Reminds me of a saying I once heard:
'When I die, I want to go peacefully, in my sleep, like my grandpa did- not screaming and crying like all the passengers in his car.'

When you know your ticket to the other side has already been punched, making peace with the greatest unknown comes into play, and things like Covid 19 don't seem to instill nearly as much fear as a lot of people seem to be feeling.

posted on Feb, 27 2020 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I think there is a reasonable chance that many of us will get the virus.

The fatality rate is about 2-3 percent, unless you're older than 80

Eighty percent of the people who get it have mild symptoms.

If I get it, I hope I'm in that 80 percent

posted on Feb, 27 2020 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I'm currently working for the NHS supply chain so am in and around hospitals all day , I've taken a Corona blood sample from one hospital to another today without concern , there are worse things out there.

Keep us posted. It would be interesting to hear things from an insiders point of view.
Stay safe!

posted on Feb, 27 2020 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Isn't this supposed to be the last Pope according to prophecy?

Dun! Dun! Dun!

posted on Feb, 27 2020 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wildbob77
I think there is a reasonable chance that many of us will get the virus.

The fatality rate is about 2-3 percent, unless you're older than 80

Eighty percent of the people who get it have mild symptoms.

If I get it, I hope I'm in that 80 percent

That two to three percent includes the old and frail people and all the young. The mortality rate is pretty low on people who are in decent shape between a year and sixty years old unless they are very skinny and have very little fat on them to supply energy during the illness. Skinny malnutritioned people are also at higher risk of more serious problems because they have little reserves. That also apples to Cancer, real skinny and frail people often have higher mortality than those with a little more fat reserves, as long as that fat can be used to supply energy. Muscle can also supply energy to help during sickness, but it lowers the amount of muscle in people.

posted on Feb, 27 2020 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Yeah! That capitalist healthcare system we have here in the US is driven purely by empathy!

posted on Feb, 27 2020 @ 11:46 AM
link   

On Saturday evening U.S. Congressman Mike Rogers (R-Anniston) said on Twitter that he had spoken with President Donald Trump, who he said agreed with him that housing the patients in Anniston was "the wrong decision."
a reply to: [dawnstar [/post]

Government agencies that are supposed to keep our POTUS informed have been leaving him out of the loop during this administration. Once he was given all of the pertinent information, he made the right decision.

edit on 40000001212America/Chicago291 by nugget1 because: corection

posted on Feb, 27 2020 @ 11:48 AM
link   

In our healthcare system they do not put you high up on a list for a liver or kidney transplant if you are old and sickly here.
a reply to: rickymouse

Unless your name is David Rockeller.

posted on Feb, 27 2020 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1

In our healthcare system they do not put you high up on a list for a liver or kidney transplant if you are old and sickly here.

Unless your name is David Rockeller.

I probably would not even go to the hospital if I caught it and there were lots of younger people there that needed the rooms, I would feel guilty taking up a room that some young person needed. I have lived my life and pretty much wore out my body, back is pretty shot. Now if there was no shortage of rooms or if the ER was not packed with patients, I would go in.

I have gone to the outpatient clinic a few times over the year and it was busy, sick kids and sick adults, and I just went home. They needed the doctor more than I did. I survived. On top of that, sitting in a room with fifteen sick people increases your risk of getting sicker.

posted on Feb, 27 2020 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Actually, this virus is strange in the sense that it barely touches the kids. Even the barely young ones. There have not yet been any recorded fatalities in children under 10 and barely any in the next higher age bracket.

You really don't start ramping up your risk until you start adding in age and cardiovascular, pulmonary, and similar health conditions.

posted on Feb, 27 2020 @ 12:09 PM
link   

There are very few free beds in hospitals at any given time, especially isolation rooms. Having a bunch of flex capacity is not profitable, so it just simply doesn't exist.

There's also not enough providers even if we were to open up capacity drastically. I would have been a doctor, but the thought of starting my career at nearly 30 years old with hundreds of thousands in school loans didn't appeal to me. I think we should cut back scholarships, grants & subsidized loans for degrees like Art History and put more toward making medical school more accessible for those with the brains, drive and will to do it.

Not that art and sociology-type degrees are useless, they're VERY important for a balanced society, but they're not critical like how having enough medical personnel is critical.

posted on Feb, 27 2020 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Actually, this virus is strange in the sense that it barely touches the kids. Even the barely young ones. There have not yet been any recorded fatalities in children under 10 and barely any in the next higher age bracket.

You really don't start ramping up your risk until you start adding in age and cardiovascular, pulmonary, and similar health conditions.

Hmmm. I had read initially that this effects older people and kids, but that was not actually true I guess. It does get attacked by the kids innate immunity from what I read, so they hit it right away.

""One hypothesis is that the innate immune response, that is the early response that is aimed broadly at groups of pathogens, tends to be more active," in children, he said." From an article somewhere.

My body still has a strong innate immunity, that actually causes my reaction to the flu vaccine. So, maybe with this virus, a vaccine would be bad for kids, stimulating their immune system might actually make them more susceptible to overreactions.

Thanks for informing me that it does not effect kids much.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join