It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snake Toxin Evolved From Testicles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
A researcher has examied the evolutionary history of snake venom. He's found that it did not in fact evolve from the saliva, as generally thought. Rather it evolved from proteins active in the brains, eyes, and even testicles.

www.abc.net.au
Australia's Dr Bryan Grieg Fry reports in the journal Genome Research today that he has mapped the evolutionary origins of snake venom toxins, with some surprising results.

He's found the toxins evolved not from molecules in snake saliva as previously thought, but from innocuous proteins normally produced in other body tissues.
"It's a dramatic example of the fact that evolution cobbles together all kinds of existing capabilities ... In this case it seems that evolution has managed to grab hold of a whole range of snake proteins and manufactured them into venom."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I find the research noteworthy and interesting especially because it is surprising. Researcher Fry compared the venom proteins from various species to non-venoumous but correlated proteins. I beleive these can be said to be 'homologous' proteins.

Nature yields many surprises to those who patiently study it, or even to those of us who just read the newpaper.

Related News Links:
www.genome.org
www.abc.net.au
www.genome.org
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

[edit on 11-3-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 07:25 PM
link   

I think this is cool. Toxins from testicles. Yuck. Wonder if it ever happens in mammals...

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   
... And to think I thought snakes were cool just because they have two penises.

People don't give our graceful, fluid, and beautiful friends much credit. They have been around longer than us, and will probably be around far after we're gone. Venom is just as fascinating as a defense and as a means of digestion.

Snakes rock
--

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I was gonna make a crass joke involving the word "swallowing" but then I thought better of it. Oops...too late.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Should this very informative article move to the forums rather than the news page, I will respond. Until then, no. roflmao

join