It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OP/ED: Courage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Journalism is like a family, even though everyone has their own idea's and opinions somehow you can find a common ground to sit down at the table and acknowledge each other. For outsiders who look in on our community we're sometimes viewed as opinionated, harsh and unforgiving protagonists but it all stems from the desire to report the news.

Dan Rather retired last night, not in a blaze of glory and fireworks but with a solemn message dedicated to those suffering around the world and to his fellow journalists. A poignant moment marked his run of 24 years

Politicians and leaders have shelf lifes, Dan outlasted all of them and took the blows on the chin. The search for hard news took him down some troubling roads, as he says... "I may be guilty of having too much passion at times, but it's better than not having enough".

I'm writing this because I respect Dan Rather for his work. He's not a saint and he's not always right but his history is distinguished and he made some tough calls. I find it sick that some seek to tarnish him forever for one story.

There have been so many career highs for him and several lows. I won't go into a long biography and career obituary so I'll just wrap it up here. I respect Dan Rather because he took the risks and the falls but never stopped going after the story. His career is the type a journalist dreams of, one filled with encounters both happy and sad and the inevitable hatefests they inspired.

Nobody ever tasked a Journalist with being popular.

I found this passage to be particularly noteworthy for tonight...
Rather is beginning to fall asleep as the noise cascades around him, a whirlpool, and he drifts off as his lessers, people who will never do the things he has done and will never get the chance to do them, waste their time judging him, as if his disappearance in this darkening night will make one iota of difference.

Courage

[edit on 10-3-2005 by Nerdling]

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Rather is gone, as is his entire species: the Network Newsgod.

He was an anachronism -- a reporter who acted as though he were one of the select priesthood to whom America turned for news.

But the priesthood, founded by the radio newsmen and raised to glory on the days of "watch the three networks or watch nothing", is moribund anyway.

It was technology that got these people up there and technology brought them down. The plethora of viewing opportunities, starting with CNN and all of its avatars, allowed for a natural fragmentation of the public who now have the opportunity of seeing what kind of news they want, when they want, and how they want it.

Yet the modern network anchors were never able to understand that they lacked both the moral compass and Nielsen ratings of Walter Cronkite. They were biased (as we all are); yet they assumed that their Olympic height could not only excuse their biases but drive the beliefs of their viewers.

They were wrong on both counts. A profession that was 85% Democrat (by its own census) watched in dismay as the people kept electing Republicans and increasing their majorities; and realized, too late, that the bulk of the people -- with their oh-so-precious advertising dollars -- began looking at them less and less as news icons and more and more as arrogant posers.

requiescat in discruciendam

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I find myself sincerely wishing he had retired a few years ago, had retired before fading ratings and corporate pressure for ratings forced him to begin making news rather than reporting it.

I wish he'd retired before he became but a cog in the political machine, acting like any other political pundit but unwilling or unable to separate his subjective opinions from objective facts.

I'm not sure his "outlasting" is a good thing. Like an eccentric, ailing billionaire, doing whatever possible to cheat death one more day, he became more concerned with appeasing the tribunal of gods- Network, Ratings and Career-than the concerns and needs of the "little people" for news of the world around them.

It feels like watching the career of your favorite actor deteriorating into infomercials, scandals, and chemical dependency as they fight to keep their name on the lips of those whe make the decisions. Forgetting their passions and talent that made them great.

I admired his work greatly, when he covered war zones personally, got in the trenches, delivered the truth through thos recognizeable tones. The recent scandal, adds a shadow of doubt to all that I accepted as truth from him. To be honest, I feel betrayed.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Nerdling.

Off_The_Street...

Originally posted by Off_The_Street

I guess.

I know that's what they say, meaning I guess us. But we're not normal. Neither are people that watch 24 hour news channels. We're hyper-political news junkies, that live, eat and breathe content. We converge. We find communities to join that tell us the world is changing, and we reinforce that idea upon each other.

Bill O'Reilly tells our kind he's the new king of all media, and those few that grovel to hear so, believe it, despite all evidence to the contrary.

But out there... in the real world, off the net, off cable TV... is a world same as it ever was dominated by Broadcast Network talking heads. It's only in the purely relative "coup" of barely denting network ratings and credibility (among the real people) does any of what you said remotely apply.

The joke that has been CNN ratings for years just makes something like FNC "trouncing" them especially laughable, but it is all relative. Beating last place is not that big a deal frankly. So don't think for a second any cable anchor wouldn't jump to network "Godhood" in a red hot second if they could. But one doesn't go from hosting "Inside Edition" to anchoring the desk at CBS.
You got to Fox News.

Let's get real here friend. The revolution may have started, but just barely and I'm being generous with that.

[edit on 10-3-2005 by RANT]

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   
gonna miss the guy.

Hopefully someone that makes the same kind of impact on us that he did will surface. I dont find anyone out there now that reaches into my home via cable, worth watching.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
A perfect example of the lies spun in self feeding circles about "the death" of Network NewsGods.

NewsMax (a known liar) reporting on Dan Rather's ratings humilation and demise of public confidence.

One reason for the increasing dissatisfaction of Rather's continuance at CBS is the all-important ratings barometer. As public confidence in Rather has hit an all-time low, so have the ratings of the "Evening News."

The New York Times notes that Rather's newscast draws 7.5 million viewers nightly.

Except what they don't tell you is both factors for Rather crush every show and talking head on the cable boutiques.

At Dan Rather's worst he still crushes O'Reilly's much self lauded "#1 Prime Time Cable News Show" (the highest rated on FNC BY FAR) at it's best by a margin of 4 to 1. Rather even beat Bill O'Reilly's inflated lie about his ratings by millions. How sad.

And on "failing public confidence" well you get the idea.

*Most recent I could find for this.

People on the bottom of the scale reporting on people on the top of the scale losing relative fractions amounts to noise not news.

My whole point being, don't kid yourselves based on the reinforcement of personal opinons by the cliques you choose to associate with and glean (dis)information from.

In the real world, Dan Rather is an icon. Respected. Revered. And better than any of his wannabe detractors.

I think I'll go read The Camera Never Blinks again.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Great work nerdling.

I wasn't a Rather fan, but I know what you mean. Rather is old school - he knew the issues, the history and the context. He knew how things fit together and worked together. He had perspective. And he's been replaced with twits who know nothing except how to frame a 30-second sound byte.

Sad day.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   

He was an anachronism -- a reporter who acted as though he were one of the select priesthood to whom America turned for news.

Amen. It is a priesthood or was a pristhood. This always happens when a small number of people hold a special knowledge. I wonder who long it will take to unseat the computer geeks.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

Amen. It is a priesthood or was a pristhood. This always happens when a small number of people hold a special knowledge. I wonder who long it will take to unseat the computer geeks.

Never
Geeks keep learning, news anchors do not. In order for a geek to continue to make money they gotta learn the newest programming language before everyone else. It's the l33t attitude that I hate but considering they are the Wizards who keep the WWW and Internet together more power to em

top topics

join