It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researchers cure mice of diabetes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2020 @ 10:48 AM
link   

A team of scientists at an American medical school have managed to cure diabetes in mice for up to nine months, after injecting the rodents with insulin-producing cells created from human stem cells.

the scientists were able morph human pluripotent stem cells (hPSCs) into pancreatic beta cells that make insulin – which were then transplanted into mice suffering from "severe diabetes" at levels which could even be fatal for a person.

"When we gave the mice the insulin-secreting cells, within two weeks their blood glucose levels had returned to normal and stayed that way for many months,"

Source

Stem cells are once again proving to be exceptionally useful in treating, or even curing, various diseases and disorders. Scientists at the Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis have managed to cure mice of severe diabetes. They did this by creating insulin-producing pancreatic beta cells from stem cells and then transplanting those into the mice.
This breakthrough is obviously a massive step forward in the fight against diabetes, and hopefully will be ready for human use sometime in the relatively near future.

posted on Feb, 26 2020 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Been following these researches regarding type 1 diabetes. My son got type 1 in age of 3 years, he is soon 16 years old. During this time there has been hundreds of mice cured but absolutely no final cure in the markets.

Diabetes is so widely spred and makes billions to Big Pharmas.. cure would cut the income thus nothing comes to available.

posted on Feb, 26 2020 @ 11:35 AM
link   

I don't understand the wording.
Cure the mice for up to nine months.
Is this a cure of more of a long term treatment?

One reason i ask is that cures don't make money like treatments do

posted on Feb, 26 2020 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Great that rodents are being cured of a disease that affects humans, wonderful that it may lead to treatments for primates How many mice have been killed as part of the research? When can we move past using animal models and rely on less archaic computer models? These creatures (mice and other laboratory animals) are conscious feeling beings, subjecting them to this kind of horrible life and often pointless death is, in my opinion, evil - no matter what the outcome.

posted on Feb, 26 2020 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

I have mouse traps all over my building..
I don't lose any sleep over that.

I won't lose any sleep over the cow I had for lunch either.

posted on Feb, 26 2020 @ 11:49 AM
link   
so Tell me with NO long term study's and NO info on possible side effects you would be willing to use your son as a lad mouse ?
If so get ahold of the company that is doing this sign a tons of papers saying you wont sue them if it kills your kid and let your son be a lab rat .
Because HUMAN trials Meen exactly THAT . Your son is not a mouse and just because it works on a mouse does NOT meen it will work on your son But right now Millions of people volunteer as LAB rats and get paid for dong so .
So my friends be the FIRST Human trials and If it works and does not kill you or your loved one you can say you helpped cure it .

posted on Feb, 26 2020 @ 11:51 AM
link   
This would be for the type of diabetes where not enough insulin is created or the insulin can't bind to sugar properly. It would not be for the kind of diabetes where the cells will not hook up to insulin, insulin resistant diabetes. Some people have too much insulin and sugar floating around and it does not load into the cells, this would be for one type of type two, a more uncommon type, and most of the type one diabetes.

Actually, I have reactive hypoglycemia, where I make too much insulin if triggered by excessive consumption of quick acting carbs, It feels like I could run a marathon, then when the sugar wears off, I crash. That is not much fun.

But, I get a really good hour or so if I want to do something. If I keep on eating sugars, I can go all day and prolong the crash till the evening. I don't like sugary stuff much. I never have liked it, I would rather burn lipids.
edit on 26-2-2020 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2020 @ 11:56 AM
link   
PS i have a friend who had diabetes is into the whole conspiracy the company's want to hid cures wile at the same time conrditcts him self saying they also dont care if we die because by hiding the cre they make money .
Some logic Hid a cure from a client who then DIES and then You make no money from a dead person .
curing cancer does not meen thye stop MAKING money they MAKE MORE your now ALIVE to need other drugs this is NOT teh case if your DEAD its a one time payment .
So I plan to tell my friend about this BUT not let him know its real and ask him if he is willing to be the lab rat and i cant predict his answer as you guys do contradict your self's .
On one hand they hid it and louse money as YOUR a DEAD former client on the other your also saying they bring out UNSAFE NOT compleated tested drugs that can kill people so wont USE anything they bring out .
edit on 26-2-2020 by midnightstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2020 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Three Baboons here, escaped from a hospital and were hunted down and caught...

they were bred to be experimented on... I felt sick upon reading this. And the media just laughed about it, as if it were some hilarious turn of events...

www.abc.net.au...

posted on Feb, 26 2020 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Why not use live traps and relocate them if you are unable to prevent them from entering your building? I'm just curious as to why you are able to discard a life so easily? I'm not talking about you filling your belly with meat, that's your choice and I don't care and it's none of my business. I'm speaking to SENSELESS killing that serves NO PURPOSE. When there are alternatives that can be implemented without snuffing a creature's life, why not rise above our caveman instincts and use our brains instead of just destroying that which bothers us?

ETA: Human's and Mice shared a common ancestor 80 million years ago, and we also share much (but not all) of the same genetic code. How far back in your family tree would you go back and kill someone and not call it murder?

edit on 2262020 by seattlerat because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2020 @ 01:09 PM
link   

They are a pest that destroy property and spread disease.
Releasing them back into the wild only promotes more breading which in turn makes more mice to deal with.

And stop with the genetic code crap.
We share 60% DNA with bananas.
99% with chimpanzees but that 1% is the difference between mozart, Einstein, Galileo and a fuzzy guy throwing poo in the jungle.

I do have to ask though.
Do bugs splattered on your windshield upset you too? They are as you say, life.

posted on Feb, 26 2020 @ 01:30 PM
link   

I was going to bring up the banana thing, but you've allowed me to take it one step further;

Do bugs splattered on your windshield upset you too? They are as you say, life.

According to NASA, Humans are 61% fruit fly, 🤷🏻‍♂️

Source 1

Source 2

posted on Feb, 26 2020 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Considering your source, I linked to,
medicine.wustl.edu... -rapidly-cures-diabetes-in-mice/

Diabetes in mice cured rapidly using human stem cell strategy

to see if the news was legitimate.

posted on Feb, 26 2020 @ 05:31 PM
link   
mcdonalds must be excited

posted on Feb, 26 2020 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: seattlerat
Great that rodents are being cured of a disease that affects humans, wonderful that it may lead to treatments for primates How many mice have been killed as part of the research? When can we move past using animal models and rely on less archaic computer models? These creatures (mice and other laboratory animals) are conscious feeling beings, subjecting them to this kind of horrible life and often pointless death is, in my opinion, evil - no matter what the outcome.

We're nowhere near being able to simulate a living being to the degree that we could determine what will happen. Someday we will be, but those computer models, and processing capability, may be further off than fusion power plants.

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 09:36 AM
link   

OMG seriously? Computer models are not reliable tests. Real world is the only way to know something will work.

Also to my knowledge there hasn't been any deaths from stem cell research directly related to stem cell usage.

Jaden

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I told my friend now and he says he would be willing to be a lab rat so why not let people choose if they want totry this very untested idea .
ps it was when I told him it was stem-cell research that tipped the balance . Never mind the fact he failed to consider what if the cells go wild and become cancers . which I did not tell him lol .

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Yes, bugs splattered on my windshield bother me, I appreciate your concern for my feelings. It doesn't bring me to tears, but it is something I think about- I go to what many people would consider great lengths to prevent UNNECESSARY deaths. I try to find methods to avoid damaging or disrupting other lifeforms- if I find an insect in my shower, I will remove it before I turn the water on. I will take different routes to avoid destroying a spider's web. I will stop traffic for a crow or squirrel in the middle of the road, much to the consternation of my insurance company.

We are two obviously different people with different backgrounds and beliefs, I was merely curious about about why you would kill an animal when other options exist, now that I have an answer I understand that it is pointless discussing it with you. There's nothing wrong with that, but I must say its disappointing and sad to me that the 1% of difference in DNA that produced EINSTEIN also produced such an (apparent) lack of empathy and foresight in some people.

Progress is being made in (medical) science, alternatives to lab animal models are being adopted slowly, but I have hope that advances in technology will someday ELIMINATE the need to use MILLIONS upon MILLIONS of lab animals for testing purposes.

If I were you, and I'm sure you are thanking your creator that you aren't, I would spends a little money and time patching up any holes or other potential access points into my dwelling. If mice are pests and carry disease, wouldn't it be better to keep them out of your house entirely rather than allowing them to spread filth until you are able to kill them?

edit on 322020 by seattlerat because: (no reason given)

(post by osmondlopez1 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)
(post by osmondlopez1 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join