It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Respirators

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: drussell41
Someone mentioned a respirator that one could still get at hardware stores. Would that be effective protection? If so, which one and which cartridges?

Thanks in advance!
N95 masks I believe? Those are sold out at alot of stores here.

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Really is horrible having to read a post like this, i hope you sort something out and the forum help you in the right direction

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: TritonTaranis
Really is horrible having to read a post like this, i hope you sort something out and the forum help you in the right direction

I'm sorry, Triton.

I know if it goes really bad, that will probably be it for me. I can't live without the transplant meds and if all of that supply line shuts down, well.... it was good to be here. I got 30 extra years of life from a transplant.

I agree with another poster that fomites are probably the bigger threat. A respirator is just an additional layer of protection if it does go to s*** (and who knows if that will even happen). I plan on self-isolating. Heck, I'm just about there now. However, things come up that make one go out. That's when I would don all the gear.

Hopefully it will never come to any of that, if for no other reason than looking like Bubble Girl attracts attention.

edit on 24-2-2020 by drussell41 because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: JON666
a reply to: drussell41
You will need eye and ear protection too.

Our shooting gear?

close quarters scatter gun? And a bio suit!
edit on 24-2-2020 by JON666 because: (no reason given)

link   

You will need eye and ear protection too.

Our shooting gear?

close quarters scatter gun?

LOL! No, but I like it. I was thinking more like goggles and ear protection.

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

Someone mentioned a respirator that one could still get at hardware stores. Would that be effective protection? If so, which one and which cartridges?

Thanks in advance!

I already have the N95 disposable masks--heck even higher, but it's been years since I've looked at them. I was thinking something with replaceable filters.

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 06:35 PM
link   

I'm sorry, Triton.

I know if it goes really bad, that will probably be it for me. I can't live without the transplant meds and if all of that supply line shuts down, well.... it was good to be here. I got 30 extra years of life from a transplant.

I agree with another poster that fomites are probably the bigger threat. A respirator is just an additional layer of protection if it does go to s*** (and who knows if that will even happen). I plan on self-isolating. Heck, I'm just about there now. However, things come up that make one go out. That's when I would don all the gear.

Hopefully it will never come to any of that, if for no other reason than looking like Bubble Girl attracts attention.

Hey... I’m as worried as you are you know, I’m a heavy smoker and have had liver problems over the past year, nearing on disease levels, normal is 1.6 mine was 2.2 diseased is 2.6, from what I’ve read my chances of a server case are very high, so we can both suffer together on here ay? hopefully if the Internet stays on haha

Don’t worry yourself too much, you won’t be thinking efficiently, nothing we can do if we catch it and containment fails and it does indeed become pandemic

But I’m not going to stop you preparing, crack on, I think should we theorise worst case scenario, our best bets are self containment, finding an isolated village and literally blockading that location from outside world/visitors and that’s exactly what I’m going to do, luckily I have family living in such a location and have got a lot of stuff ready to go, seeing what has just happened in Italy 3 cases - 220 in two days? That’s worrying

Yeah if that happens in a town close to me... that’s it, I’m in gone and in survival mode with 3 months planning put into action

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 10:28 PM
link   
The 3M respirators are better than the dust mask type, but in all reality it probably won't help you that much more.

Even if you were to spend thousands on the PAPR types unless you had a decontamination station setup it would be worthless.

As far as being immunosuppressed it would probaby be a better investment to see if you could somehow try to stock up on your required meds. Move somewhere where it's always cold and stick your meds in an ice chest.

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

Thanks in advance!

I got several packages of those same filter masks.. I wear them at work , and I borrowed a couple packages of them, when I heard they might start getting hard to find

posted on Feb, 25 2020 @ 01:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutomateThis1
The 3M respirators are better than the dust mask type, but in all reality it probably won't help you that much more.

Even if you were to spend thousands on the PAPR types unless you had a decontamination station setup it would be worthless.

As far as being immunosuppressed it would probaby be a better investment to see if you could somehow try to stock up on your required meds. Move somewhere where it's always cold and stick your meds in an ice chest.

I know from giardia that what you're saying about the decon station is correct. I managed to infect myself from a fostercat despite booties, gown, mask, gloves, haircovering, stripping down and showering afterwards. I don't know; maybe the whole mask thing isn't worth pursuing.

Each of my two immunosuppressants cost over $1k/mo decades ago. I couldn't swing more than a couple months apiece even if my doctor would agree to write the extra script so that I could get it filled early, which is a big "if" itself. One med doesn't require temp control; the other requires room temp. Not hot, not cold. Fragile med (gengraf).

Moving is out as well for several reasons. But seriously about "where it's always cold"?
I lived in GFAFB, ND, for five winters. It was brutal.
edit on 25-2-2020 by drussell41 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2020 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Hey... I’m as worried as you are you know, I’m a heavy smoker and have had liver problems over the past year, nearing on disease levels, normal is 1.6 mine was 2.2 diseased is 2.6, from what I’ve read my chances of a server case are very high, so we can both suffer together on here ay? hopefully if the Internet stays on haha

Don’t worry yourself too much, you won’t be thinking efficiently, nothing we can do if we catch it and containment fails and it does indeed become pandemic

But I’m not going to stop you preparing, crack on, I think should we theorise worst case scenario, our best bets are self containment, finding an isolated village and literally blockading that location from outside world/visitors and that’s exactly what I’m going to do, luckily I have family living in such a location and have got a lot of stuff ready to go, seeing what has just happened in Italy 3 cases - 220 in two days? That’s worrying

Yeah if that happens in a town close to me... that’s it, I’m in gone and in survival mode with 3 months planning put into action

I hope you stay well and safe too. I am glad you have plans and a location to which you can retreat!

posted on Feb, 25 2020 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I believe you can still get p100 type respirators at stores still, you can also order them off of amazon, they will work as well as n100 masks but they are also rated for oils.

Dont forget to get extra filters, and some protective glasses, and if youre in an area its bad, but HAVE to go out, wear your latex gloves and spray everything down with lysol and clean after use and before you put them up.
edit on 25-2-2020 by SailorJerry because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2020 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: SailorJerry

Thanks.

posted on Feb, 25 2020 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Ah yeesh. I feel for ya. Best thing to do I guess is just avoid people until this whole thing blows over.

And Grand Forks? Yeah that whole part of ND is ridiculous lol.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join