It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Easter Island: Tourist Extortion or Protecting Maoi?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Legend has it that anyone who tries to live on this 64 square mile (ie, 8mi x 8mi) little island ends up going crazy. Which makes me wonder now what is the longest someone still alive has ever lived on the isle, and what is their state of well-being?
Apparently ppl are offending today's Rapa Nui (Spanish, or Polynesian??) and they are being held to answer for their crimes; yet the tourism board fails to post specific rules.
Could it be that not posting rules generates more opportunity fpr profit, somehow?
Cuz what i saw above was some park ranger authority attempting to detain the boyfriend of the alleged offender instead. Weird??

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: pressident

This is why I say, if you get to a new area, find out who the local "chief" is, and bring him a basket of cookies, or a case of beer, or whatever the custom dictates.

That's your "real ticket".

edit on 23-2-2020 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Just don't start spouting about your "rights." It's not your country and you don't have any.

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Well said guys!

Tourist arrogance is riskee!

But with todays cameras and social media, ones gotta wonder at the same time why treat tourists (or their boyfriends) in question like guilty til proven innocent - without even any signs nor cameras anywhere; what sort of security & procedure is that??
edit on 23-2-2020 by pressident because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 05:51 PM
link   
But wait a minute ... this is an offense his girlfriend or partner allegedly committed.

Why should us guys beat each other up (almost)?

She must sort it out with a female of your tribe, and then I give her half the ticket.

So can we have a female please?
Step aside Mr. Macho, phone your Queen or something.

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I know how this goes, next thing the couple have split back home, and the poor dude has the lawsuit from the Rapa Nui, when she put her toe on the stones surrounding the Moai.

No, she should have sorted it out, and both guys should have withdrawn.

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Undoubtedly the ranger is an officious little prick....no arguments there. What gets this guy and his girlfriend in real trouble is his youtube channel.

You see, most people without a youtube channel, having recognised immediately that this guy is an officious little prick, would have apologised profusely, pleaded ignorance........whatever.......just eat a big slice of humble pie and jog on. But no, puss nuts there with the camera and youtube channel sees an opportunity take an unfortunate situation to absolutely next level........what as a$$hole........seriously, wtf did the he expect would happen.

Zero sympathy.

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 06:02 PM
link   
And where are all the TREES?

Ive aeen keys and atolls just a few feet in area that at least have some scrub shrubscand even mature coconut trees om them, but this island is relatively big yet has no trees nor shrubd... Why did Rapa Nui even kill off all shrubs??

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 06:27 PM
link   
In my imagination (although having heard from somebody who had been there recently, I'm not stretching it too far).

So the females have arrived and they can sort it out.

Say, I know you chopped all your trees down yonks ago, but you wouldn't have a bicycle-shed where us dudes can have a smoke?

Oh yeah, I thought so.
Not a bicycle shed, but they've got almost subterranean places, where they once grew crops, and some still have gardens.
Some volcanic craters, and some partially man-made.
Apparently if they like you, they show you.

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Underground gardens?

Interesting! (Shrooms and/or inner sun)

Unfortunately the last Rapa Nui (left after most takrn to South America as SLAVES by Spaniards) were driven to cannibalism.

Is thiz Felipe guy really a polynesian Rapa Nui and not just a spaniard masquerading as one???

I NEED YOUR TICKET!

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 06:44 PM
link   

No, they're not entirely underground, maybe what I heard is more like "trench-like" (since they had loads of tribal war, allegedly). And then they hid from black-birders and mainland slavers.

But it goes down, down, and suddenly you're in this oasis, with fresh water and fertile volcanic ash.

They say you can't see it from the surface landscape though.

Perhaps they get so holy about modern demarcation stones because they don't want anyone falling, or something.

I suppose one could also call it caves, or "caverns" of sorts (some areas open to sunlight, and some sheltered. Some are tourist attractions):
imaginaisladepascua.com...

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Anyway, not sure, never been to Easter Island.

But mostly what we see on television (ancient history and aliens), has very little relevance to more recent, or even colonial Rapa Nui culture.

Anyway, was just looking at this incident from a gender perspective.

Girl I hope you keep this (tourist) guy, because he is chivalry impersonated.

In the line of fire for your mistake!
And, you speak the language!
I hope you're worth it.

top topics

join