It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

reversed US flags/fotos. anybody noticed before?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 10:38 PM
link   
The upside down flag is a symbol of distress, the "reversed" flag as shown on uniforms and vehicles is correct as info_junkee explained.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by info_junkee
are you just being 'extra' about my spelling?

No.
I saw bush on tv live giving a speech with the flag hangin behind him
ok wen i say reversed in the 2nd pic i mean the stars should be top left
Indeed, they should not, per the organized specifications on how its supposed to be displayed. The way the flag hangs in teh second pic is the proper way to have it hang.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   
oh rite thanks for that , see i wasnt aware of the rules of flag hanging... either way its still kinda weird.. the flag is the flag no matter wat way up or wateva it shud just stay the same... but no they made a whole loada funky rules of flag hanging to bail their as*s out by the looks of it

hehe..

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
The upside down flag is a symbol of distress, the "reversed" flag as shown on uniforms and vehicles is correct as info_junkee explained.

thanks! so where did u find your knowledge of that? sounds cool and all u saying its correct but others will ask how do u know? so i may aswel.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Its the proper way to wear the flag. See even the shuttle has it.

[edit on 10-3-2005 by Event Horizon]

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 03:20 AM
link   
I noticed that along time ago too. So when the wind blows the wrong direction, the flag is being displayed wrong?

Man, show the flag the right way. The stars on the left, like kids draw them in school. Proper display my ass. Im as American as anyone and it just plain looks backwards.

Lets call a spade a spade

Peace

[edit on 11-3-2005 by HIFIGUY]

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 10:30 AM
link   

oh rite thanks for that , see i wasnt aware of the rules of flag hanging... either way its still kinda weird.. the flag is the flag no matter wat way up or wateva it shud just stay the same... but no they made a whole loada funky rules of flag hanging to bail their as*s out by the looks of it

So, basically, despite there being evidence to the contrary, the 'government' is still up to something insidious by having flags hung in anyway other than as on a normal flag pole? Even tho the arm patch does indeed resemble exactly what a flag would look like if, say, the individual was walking with one and it was flowing in the breeze of their walk?

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by HIFIGUY
Im as American as anyone and it just plain looks backwards.

Mount a flag on the space shuttle. Now fly the space shuttle. What way does the flag go?

It makes no sense to say that the flag is only properly displayed when the wind is blowing from the left to the right.

infojunkee
so where did u find your knowledge of that[distress display]

Its a fairly well known fact. I don't understand how you can be so concerned about the flag being displayed 'wrong', based on your personaly opinion, without having looked at what are the proper ways to display it. Hanging the flag upside down is a generally recognized symbol of distress.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

So, basically, despite there being evidence to the contrary, the 'government' is still up to something insidious by having flags hung in anyway other than as on a normal flag pole? Even tho the arm patch does indeed resemble exactly what a flag would look like if, say, the individual was walking with one and it was flowing in the breeze of their walk?

I agree with Nygdan, there's just nothing here to support this.

Show me the government posting flags upside-down or adding something to it, and then maybe there's a conspiracy regarding it. Just my opinion on the matter.

If you're really interested in researching the Flag and percieved meanings, you may want to look into the conspiracy theory revolving around the so-called "gold fringe" surrounding all US Flags found in courtrooms. I hear that has some interesting roots in admirality law that we are supposedly still governed under. Not saying it's true, just that it's interesting.

X

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by CmptrN3rd5
So they put it backwards just so it looks as though its blowing backward in the wind in a vehicle? That has to be the stupidest reason ever! Surely it means something else.

Its not, most of my family is military. I asked em that years ago. Same exact answer. "Soldiers are always on the move, so they want the flag to move with us." Sorry, no big conspiricy here...move along...nothing to see..

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   

It makes no sense to say that the flag is only properly displayed when the wind is blowing from the left to the right.

There's a left-wing/right-wing joke in there somewhere....

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

thanks! so where did u find your knowledge of that? sounds cool and all u saying its correct but others will ask how do u know? so i may aswel.

Well, I already gave you the link to the full list of regs on the proper display of the flag, but here we go again.
www.ushistory.org...
Everything you every wanted to know about how to properly display "Old Glory"

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 04:37 PM
link   
ok ok ! lock the topic already! haha.. no wait dont i need some ats points.

[edit on 043131p://41034 by info_junkee]

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Speaking of flags, I'm surprised nobody noticed this. In most speeches, the flag is draped at 45 degrees, and the stars always align with one point down (pythagoran or more recently, satanic).

www.whitehouse.gov...

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 08:05 PM
link   
LOL. You guys are really funny, no seriously, you ALL ARE.

There is no conspiracy in this. The reason that the flags are backwards is to symbolize the movement to victory.

How do I know this? I served.

Basically, it symbolizes the forward movement towards a goal, it is worn that way during wartime for soldiers. It symbolizes moving forward, therefore the flag is blowing in the wind.

And to the poster who put a thumbs down to this - This is NO conspiracy.

Good day.

-wD

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   
If your still not sure after all these posts, ask gunny.

He'll tell ya.

Besides his site is quite amusing.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 09:12 PM
link   
There is no secret government agenda other then a bunch of pen pushes who have to much time on there hands. The photos arent fake.

The explanation of the backwards U.S. flag--known as the "reverse-side flag"--is straightforward: if you imagine the soldier wearing the patch on his right shoulder as charging forward, so the soldier is in effect the flagstaff, the flag is "fluttering" in the proper direction. If it was aligned as normal, the flag would be fluttering the opposite way, which would imply that the soldier is moving backwards, or retreating. Therefore, since a U.S. soldier should never be seen as retreating, the flag should be backwards.

Straightforward thinking--but total HOGWASH!

I'm currently researching the history of the reverse-side U.S. flag, since I never remembered wearing such a thing on my combat uniforms. On U.S. Air Force utility uniforms, the flag is worn on the left shoulder, so the normal orientation is correct. However, on large U.S. Air Force aircraft like transports, there is a reverse-side flag on the right side of the vertical stabilizer--and it looks weird there too.

source

[edit on 11-3-2005 by xpert11]

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Thank you WebDevil, for a few minutes there I was stuck trying to figure out whether to laugh or be amazed at the ignorance of the obvious.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Here is yet another example of the regs. This one pertains specifically to flag patches that are worn.

To wear our country's flag properly, the field of stars should be worn closest to your heart. Thus, if your patch is to be worn on your LEFT sleeve, use a left flag. For patches worn on your RIGHT sleeve, use a "right" or "reversed field" flag. Since the law does not specifically address the positioning of the patch, a decision is left to the discretion of the organization prescribing the wear. Some elect to use the "left" flag on both sleeves. [Note: many states and cities have ordinances pertaining to the use of the flag; you may wish to contact the Attorney General of your state or the City Attorney’s office regarding this matter.] If you are planning to wear only one patch, it is recommended that you wear a "left" flag on your left sleeve. Military guidelines specify that in support of joint or multi-national operations, the "right" flag is worn on the right sleeve, 1/4" below the shoulder seam or 1/8" below any required unit patches.

This information is also from the very same link that I have posted 2x previously. Seriously, there is no conspiracy here. Simply a set of regulations pertaining to the proper, patriotic display of the flag of the United States of America.
www.ushistory.org...

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by WeBDeviL
LOL. You guys are really funny, no seriously, you ALL ARE.

There is no conspiracy in this. The reason that the flags are backwards is to symbolize the movement to victory.

How do I know this? I served.

Basically, it symbolizes the forward movement towards a goal, it is worn that way during wartime for soldiers. It symbolizes moving forward, therefore the flag is blowing in the wind.

And to the poster who put a thumbs down to this - This is NO conspiracy.

Good day.

-wD

agreed.
no conspiracy here.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join