It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everything is OK. Don't ask questions.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Hi Will.
Thanks for watching the vid and commenting, glad you enjoyed.

We are all familiar with that notion: that if one wants to critique something, then they should also propose a solution.
Where do you figure that comes from ?
From our fathers perhaps ?
Where did they get it from ?
What might be the origin of such a concept ?
What 'purpose' might it serve ?

My idea here: is to question things, and do so without judging and critiquing them.
Not easy, and probably step over the 'line' sometimes, but that's where the intention is.

Same for the vid, and as you may have noticed, he was giving suggestions at the end.

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: leolady

Hi LL.
Thanks for your comment.
Perhaps part of the humour, was in the juxtaposition of his ideas, and the crowd totally not expecting anything like that.

For me: the idea is that perhaps only one will be moved to start asking questions, and it would be nice help was available.
Perhaps we don't need to change the status-quo, but just gently shed it, a little bit by little bit ?
In other words, as other have mentioned: not by confronting the captains of society, but by cultivating our inner peace.
And sharing that, with those whom are interested.
Ya dig ?

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Hi DB.
We're glad that you're alright.

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Agreed.
And many of us have been there.
And yet here we are: on this site, in this thread...
Why: do you figure ?

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Nothin

At this point I am considering that, at least for the most part, that people do not buy into anything. More they just live along with a default position of going with the flow. Of not challenging the reality of the system but just how to thrive within it.
This seems to me to be the overall existence of must of us and our ancestors from ancient times.

I don't understand your reference to ''what-to-for''.. What do you mean by that?

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 02:41 PM
link   

That thought crossed my mind as well Nothin... I guess for many this site is seen as a battle ground, the forces of light battling the forces of darkness. Look at that from either direction I suppose.

A place to argue and at best debate. A place to win. I however hold this place, at least for me, as like that that willtell described of just giving out what I can for any who find it as an addition to their own thoughts. Sometimes I push a little trying to pry someone into a deeper conversation but I seldom get dragged into argument. Even debate to me seems futile as most of what people like to call debate is just argument with lips stick and rouge.

I prefer conversation and at times that is what I find here. I live out in the country and other than trips to town most of my social interaction is based on that veneer of social propriety and the hi, how are you and I'm fine but my lumbago kind of stuff. Here at least I can attempt to engage on whatever level others want to take it to. What I don't want is chorus conversations that might be found on sites where all are mostly in agreement.

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Yeah, can see what you mean.
Doesn't that mesh with the whole: 'survival-instincts'; 'don't ask questions'; 'accept the status-quo'; 'everything is OK' aspect of society ?
They seem to be as much the same, as they are different, if that makes any sense... LoL !

Agreed that our ancestors, were probably much like that.
But perhaps sometimes they would just stare into the fire, or up into the night sky, and wonder...

"What-to-for'' : meant the underpinnings of the reasons, the underlying mechanics of our motivations, and how we got 'here', from wherever whence we came.

You mostly answered that with your remarks on folks just going with the flow.

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nothin
a reply to: TzarChasm

Hi TC.
Great answer !
You had me chuckling all the way through, even if you were poking fun at me and the vid.

If you are happy with the way everything is: well that's fine with me.

Never addressed anyone specifically in my response. Just sharing with the class. Thanks for participating in my good humor.

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Well: may it bring joy to your heart then, to know that at least one idea you shared with me previously, has really stuck with me.

It was when you described a novel that you had read many moons ago, about the researchers, whom discovered that they were only chasing their own, and others' tails.
Have seen so many parallels to that base concept, and it still resonates here, much wider than the basic premise.

You know: 'coincidences'; 'collective consciousness'; 'synchronicities'; 'eyes cast-out on the path of least resistance', sort of things.
How many songs are written with the same 3-chord patterns ?
Millions of silly hairless apes, running around, doing the same things, while beating their chest as totally unique individuals ?
edit on 24-2-2020 by Nothin because: sp

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 03:38 PM
link   

The idea of offering a solution or alternative seems to be from a wisdom place.

I think its alright to criticize generally but when you go from a philosophical stance on the basics of living or reality then one might try to alleviate their own problems first then offer help to others, otherwise its all theory and ideology.

Thanks for the vid, it was hilarious.

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

It was appreciated, because you crafted the humour, so as to not attack or harm anyone directly.
Thought it was witty, and very pertinent to the thread.
Thanks for stopping-by !

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Can see what you mean, by it coming from a wisdom place, in positive environments.
But sometimes: is it also not invoked in some hierarchical, controlling environments ?
There is indeed something ridiculous, about one whom complains endlessly about their state, or job, but continues without change for months or years on end.

Have tried to position this thread: not as a complaint, and also not pushing any dogma, theory, not ideology.
Has any philosophical stance been detected ?

Glad you liked the vid, and it was my pleasure just to share it.
Have seen it previously here on ATS, including just about 2 or 3 weeks ago, but unfortunately forget whom the member was that shared it...

As discussed with TM, and as you mentioned: perhaps we have found our -inner-paradise', and yet here we are, on this site, and in this thread.
Why, do you figure ?

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Some may question: should we just reject all of this societal stuff offhand, or continue to participate, or what ?
Here: for your consideration...

The Art of Effortless Living (Taoist Documentary).

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 11:57 PM
link   

I see the ''flow'' as being essential to our tribal ancestry.I hold with he theory that ancient tribes depended upon unity, of each member ot a tribe having specific responsibilities that needed to be depended upon by the rest of the tribe otherwise it could me the ruin of the tribe. Follow orders laid down by the ''big man'' whatever he was called. Survival. And for one member to stop and muse over it all, well I mentioned that earlier that for the most part the established story of reality, handed down from generation to generation pretty much sufficed. Going with the flow is in our dna.

posted on Feb, 25 2020 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Millions of silly hairless apes, running around, doing the same things, while beating their chest as totally unique individuals ?

Looking at it all that way, well, how many of us could actually consider that, so embroiled in our own fantasies of selfdom. And even those fantasies are fed to us though the system. Those fantasies placed in us by the elders of the tribe, everyone believing the same things. But now, those specific tribal elders are still teaching but the world has opened up to all the ''other elders'' and their teachings as well. Toss in all the ''non elders', all the pop stars issuing advice on how to live all the rest of the hairless apes running about spewing ''THEIR'' stories on reality and it's no wonder we have such a hodge podge of a society now.

Yeah, that book was Foucault's Pendulum, by Umberto Ecco. Another book of his that I liked even more was ''The Island of the Day before'' It tells about a period in the 17th century when the developing sciences of the day were slowly seeping into the overall western world picture of reality( baasically Christianity and it's developing offshoots) and how generations and generations of thoughts on reality were being forced to change. In thinking about circumnavigating the globe, they weren't quite sure that if they sailed far enough and long enough if they might return home evenually but arrive there one day in the past. That thing of going from seeing the world as flat to round was freekin HUGE.
Opps, I drifted off there, sorry

posted on Feb, 25 2020 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nothin
Nothing to see here.
Go home to your $400000.00 box of 2 x 4's .
Embrace the status-quo.
Don't ask questions.
It's good to be a hard worker.
Believe in the narrative.

"Everything is OK."
"When you die you'll regret that you haven't worked more."
"Please, Move swiftly to your next shopping experience!"
"Do you have permission to be here ?"

I live a freaken good life in America...Like better than 7.6 billion others... I'm not complaining.

posted on Feb, 25 2020 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Do you think the average American has $400000 worth of 2x4's?

posted on Feb, 27 2020 @ 03:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero
Well.... everything is ok then.
So what's your beef?
edit on 27-2-2020 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2020 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain
a reply to: Xtrozero
Well.... everything is ok then.
So what's your beef?

No beef, life is good...better than any other time in human history. The guy is lampooning capitalism as if it is a bad thing as in great for a few and bad for most, and that just isn't true anywhere you look at it. I liked when he said go back to shopping who cares if a billion people in China make almost nothing, but that almost nothing has taken 80% of China's population out of extreme poverty that it was like back in the 80s, so is that a bad thing that capitalism did?

posted on Feb, 27 2020 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Well, on the other hand, if one does come up with any solution for themselves in any field of life, they should share it if possible.

I mean Buddha got enlightened through certain ways he developed and he gave that to the world. Now granted it probably has been lost in the clerical institutions that religion creates but somewhere in those dense worlds of religious dogma may be pearls he and other enlightened beings left for all time and for everybody who wants it.

Even mundane fields like cooking, sports, business often one finds a solution or better cake or idea. Then indeed, to share is to love and to love is to truly live.

edit on 27-2-2020 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

<< 1    3 >>

join