It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How much input did God have in the Bible?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Many people have argued over wether the Bible is the exact Word of God or just Man's interpretations. I tend to think the latter...

What does everyone else think?

Do you think God would have allowed people to change his Word so much, if at all?

Or do you think the Bible is as true to God's words as we can understand......

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I think that God directed people on what to write. However people can be corrupt thus they have the will to change or add what they want. In other words it is the corrupted version of God's word.

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Ditto!!

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Hmmm Chebob, I would say about as much as anyone wants to believe really. Its a matter of interpretation...

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by chebob
Many people have argued over wether the Bible is the exact Word of God or just Man's interpretations. I tend to think the latter...

What does everyone else think?

Do you think God would have allowed people to change his Word so much, if at all?

Or do you think the Bible is as true to God's words as we can understand......

I think the latter if you ask for understanding while reading.

Faith is a start.

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Hmmm Chebob, I would say about as much as anyone wants to believe really. Its a matter of interpretation...

regards
seekerof

I agree seeker, but don't you think that some people have interpreted it too literally, and against god's wishes, such as the catholic church and others....
??

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 06:12 PM
link   

I agree seeker, but don't you think that some people have interpreted it too literally, and against god's wishes, such as the catholic church and others....
??

Just to comment..
Catholic church doesn't interpret it too literally, quite opposite.
It's protestants who interpret it *literally*, and IMHO, they did it pretty extreme that it doesn't make any sense anymore.

[Edited on 10-7-2003 by Megaquad]

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 06:18 PM
link   

regards
seekerof

??

Yes Chebob, I do. Take for example that one 20 people can read the same verse and that you would probably get 15 different interpretations...........apply that to the different "churches" today.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Megaquad

??

Just to comment..
It's protestants who interpret it *literally*, and IMHO, they did it pretty extreme that it doesn't make any sense anymore.

Thats very true Megaquad..very.

But we need to also keep in mind, for sake of discussion, that the Catholic Church has their version of the Bible; has changed the commandments, as compared to the King James and multitudes of other versions of the Bible; has entitled the Pope as the "Vicar of God, on Earth", etc. Your correct, the Catholic Church, and no offence to other Catholics out there, has a quite open, literal approach to interpreting the Word of G-d.

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 10-7-2003 by Seekerof]

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 06:24 PM
link   

??

Just to comment..

Well, okay, but the way I see it, most major religions take extremes from different literal interpretations of the Bible, including Catholics and Protestants.

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I do not believe every word of the Bible is the word of God. I DO believe that the Word of God is contained, inerrantly within the Bible, recorded by men who were divinely inspired to record that message correctly. And, yes, I think He made sure His Word was recorded correctly, passed down correctly, and translated correctly.

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Well, okay, but the way I see it, most major religions take extremes from different literal interpretations of the Bible, including Catholics and Protestants.

So you mean new sects and fractions that come up every day interpret it right?
Catholics are the ones who brought bible and christianity, if you trace it all back, it is the only church who dates back to Jesus himself through his apostles, others are those who rebeled.

Sure it had errors but lets compare it with Germany, it conquered Europe, had evil dictator, caused million deaths, does that mean that Germany is at the precise moment evil, along with all their citizens?
Sure, there are criminals in Germany, just like in any other country, but most of them will go to prison.

Matthew 16
And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.

This is why I find other christian churches etc. ilogical, they are based on principles of rebeling from truth instead of being led by Holy Spirit, and who is the first rebel? lucifer.

Also, anti-catholic propaganda you see every day is just another proof to me that this is the right religion.
Not to mention that no other christian religion had any miracles sent from God to comfirm it.

Would 70,000 witnesses saw 'sun dance' as promised by virgin Mary in Fatima if catholicism was not true religion? Would God allow it for a false religion?

Would there be so many countless listened prayers directed to catholic saints if it was not the true religion? (For every saint to be cannonized there needs to be proven miracle happened after praying to him.)

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 07:03 PM
link   

So you mean new sects and fractions that come up every day interpret it right?
Catholics are the ones who brought bible and christianity, if you trace it all back, it is the only church who dates back to Jesus himself through his apostles, others are those who rebeled.

Sure it had errors but lets compare it with Germany, it conquered Europe, had evil dictator, caused million deaths, does that mean that Germany is at the precise moment evil, along with all their citizens?
Sure, there are criminals in Germany, just like in any other country, but most of them will go to prison.

Matthew 16
And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.

This is why I find other christian churches etc. ilogical, they are based on principles of rebeling from truth instead of being led by Holy Spirit, and who is the first rebel? lucifer.

Again, well said Megaquad. The "other christian churches, etc." as being "illogical" and "based on principles of rebeling from the truth instead of being lead by the Holy Spirit, and who is the first" to "rebel? Lucifer".........is quite a creative literal opinion, to say the least! I agree with your passage of Peter....but does that add crediability to the Catholic Church and her position?

Please show me where the Bible said that a church can change "His, etched in stone", commandments. While your at it, show me where the Bible says that if one says 20 Hail Mary's that one can save himself and a 'friend' too boot? Many more......

The separation "of" church, as you describe as illogical, etc., was done in light to the fact that the very Catholic Church was, indeed, distorting and twisting the true intentions of G-d and G-d's Word! You can believe what you wish, and I can also, but calling something "illogical and rebeling from truth" requires much to be said that you indeed have not said.

"The blind will always seek to see, as those who see will always seek the Truth, but those that often have the eyes, most often, will always seek to hide it."

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 11-7-2003 by Seekerof]

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Who ever said that you can save yourself with 20 hail mary's?
Don't make things up just to bash catholicism that became too common.

I have concluded it from what I've seen and heard. It requires belief, and trust me, if I or someone prayed and sacrificed for you to God you would be saying same thing as me.

Your quote shows how you are convinced that catholicism is wrong as much as I am convinced it is right. No point in continuing this.

[Edited on 11-7-2003 by Megaquad]

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Who ever said that you can save yourself with 20 hail mary's?
Don't make things up just to bash catholicism that became too common.

I have concluded it from what I've seen and heard. It requires belief, and trust me, if I or someone prayed and sacrificed for you to God you would be saying same thing as me.

Your quote shows how you are convinced that catholicism is wrong as much as I am convinced it is right. No point in continuing this.

[Edited on 11-7-2003 by Megaquad]

I got the pamplet right here at my house, but irregardless.... Explain to me how a priest can forgive me of my sins by telling me to go home a say 10 Hail Mary's or, to be more specific, just explain to me 'how' a priest can "forgive" of my sins?

My quote was made as a non-insult Megaquad....it bears a universal message...not one to be taken as a condemnation of the Catholic Church.......there are good christian's throughtout the world and a wide variety of denominations...just not 'restricted' to the "true church".

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I've had quite a few prayers answered, and I'm neither Christian nor Catholic, I simply believe in God and Christ, and have faith in them...........

I wasn't just bashing catholics, I was basically saying that none of todays modern religion really portray God's will, they can only give you their interpretation to learn from. I'm not saying that you can't find God this way, only it isn't the only way to do it.

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 08:15 PM
link   

I've had quite a few prayers answered, and I'm neither Christian nor Catholic, I simply believe in God and Christ, and have faith in them...........

I wasn't just bashing catholics, I was basically saying that none of todays modern religion really portray God's will, they can only give you their interpretation to learn from. I'm not saying that you can't find God this way, only it isn't the only way to do it.

Agreed Chebob. Prayers are answered for alot of us.
Remember though, "interpretation" is the deviding factor in all religion today....

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Megaquad, that would be a big negatory good buddy. The Catholic church dates back to approximately 400 a.d. with the Nicene council...not a day before....well, maybe a day, but not much more than a day. I'll give you week...that's it.

[Edited on 11-7-2003 by Valhall]

posted on Jul, 11 2003 @ 04:27 AM
link   

I got the pamplet right here at my house, but irregardless.... Explain to me how a priest can forgive me of my sins by telling me to go home a say 10 Hail Mary's or, to be more specific, just explain to me 'how' a priest can "forgive" of my sins?

Priests are the ones who have authority to do that. No, they are not exactly the ones who forgive your sins, God gives them authority and is present in them.

Confession is also supported by bible:

Matthew 4:4-6
John's clothes were made of camel's hair, and he had a leather belt around his waist. His food was locusts and wild honey. People went out to him from Jerusalem and all Judea and the whole region of the Jordan. Confessing their sins, they were baptized by him in the Jordan River.

James 5:16
Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.

Romans 10:10
For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

1 Timothy 6:12
Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses.

posted on Jul, 11 2003 @ 04:36 AM
link   
He had none.
Its disrespectful to suggest he had anything to do with it.
It was written years ago by our ancestral hairy little monkeys to try and encourage a better society through the use of stories so we can get the points through our thick skulls.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join