It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

San Diego sheriff agrees to share immigration information with I. C. E.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2020 @ 09:15 AM
link   

SAN DIEGO (AP) — The San Diego County Sheriff’s Department will share records of people who were criminally arrested with immigration authorities, becoming the first local law enforcement agency in five states to comply with unusual demands for information, authorities said Friday.

“While the Sheriff’s Department does not enforce immigration laws, we are obligated to comply with lawfully issued subpoenas,” the department statement read.

The department said a state law that sharply limits cooperation with immigration authorities does not explicitly address subpoenas. It said previous requests for information have been voluntary.

“A federal subpoena creates a mandatory legal obligation and is not ‘cooperation,’ ” the statement read.

About time our LEO's started to do things to help enforce existing federal laws passed by Congress and signed by Presidents. The Days of Sanctuary city and States will hopefully be ending.

What does the rest of ATS think about this?

posted on Feb, 22 2020 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: pavil
... What does the rest of ATS think about this?

Not enough. Full cooperation on matters related to the prosecution on illegal immigrants would be enough.

posted on Feb, 22 2020 @ 09:28 AM
link   
While I agree this is something that should be done routinely across ALL law enforcement depts. , I think this is probably not going to help much.

This guy is basically on an island when it comes to the precious illegals getting off Scott free because the progressive movement has no reality based platform, and needs voters.

It will stir up visible trouble though, which might get enough attention to force local p.d.'s to start reporting the information as it should be.

Most likely end up a # storm of butthurt from the usual feelings run crowd.

posted on Feb, 22 2020 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Let's see what the left's Saint Barack has to say about immigration:

posted on Feb, 22 2020 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

I don't disagree with you, but keep in mind, this is a budgeting issue. Local law enforcement do not get paid by the federal government to provide the compliance. Because of this, when you assign personal to perform these tasks, the local government is paying these people while they are not producing for the local government. The easiest way to fix this is to give the local governments a fee schedule, where they can charge man hours and labor to a cost center in the federal government to be reimbursed. That way those hours are reimbursed and the local government can hire the staff to facilitate the help as well as allocate resources appropriately. I know there is the "well the feds already give them money" concept. However this issue is the money isnt specifically allocated and based on this. It's blanket funding which they get regardless.

I can understand why cities with large illegal populations don't want to comply, they simply don't have the resources to do so, never mind the fact you turn illegals against the cops.

My point being is someone has to sit down and actually work on a good solution for this. its not as simple as Judge Dredd,"I am the law", then force them to comply.

Camain

posted on Feb, 22 2020 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: camain

If you can afford to feed them, help with housing and utilities payments, help with legal fees and interpreters, as well as give them no bills for birthing babies -

Then you can affford to find them, and return them to their country of origin.

This is coming from a guy whose daughter married an illegal.

Who I happen to think is a great guy, however he pisses me off to no end with not getting legal. He's spent 10k that was borrowed to get it done, and three years later....

Nada.

He has been informed that if he doesn't get legal this year, or repay the debt, he will be deported by alternative methods, possibly a clown cannon.
edit on 22-2-2020 by Notoneofyou because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2020 @ 10:21 AM
link   

unusual demands for information

What does that mean? Is it unusual for ICE wanting information on illegal aliens involved in further illegal activities?

posted on Feb, 22 2020 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Local law enforcement do not get paid by the federal government to provide the compliance. 

Don't make it sound it's a money issue. The Feds could reimburse all expenses and still Sanctuary Cities wouldn't follow the laws.

The only reason they don't cooperate is they don't want to deal with illegal immigration. If I enter France Illegally, then commit a crime there. I'm pretty sure I won't get to walk Scott free. Just saying.

posted on Feb, 22 2020 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

unusual demands for information

What does that mean? Is it unusual for ICE wanting information on illegal aliens involved in further illegal activities?

I saw that slanted reporting as well. It's not like these are law abiding citizens..... They have been arrested for things not related to their illegal entry into the US.

posted on Feb, 22 2020 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger
Let's see what the left's Saint Barack has to say about immigration:

BHO and lots of other politicians that have been around forever always say things like, "we cannot allow", "we need to", "we have to do more to...", etc.

But, they don't know HOW to get it done. They don't know HOW to negotiate effectively. They don't know HOW to manage people, money, or time. This is especially true with Democrats, imo.

They are heavy on smooth-talking politicians that make promises, but they are light on getting it done. All they know HOW to do is raise taxes, take more out of YOUR pocket, and then mismanage it on some pie-in-the-sky Big Government Program that falls short.

And, they are in constant pander mode, too afraid to make anything real happen for fear of losing some big $$ donor.
edit on 22-2-2020 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Sheriffs are elected officers in their counties and should not have to ketow to the state.

Their first duty is to the voters in their county that elected them not the state of Calif.

In the United States, a sheriff is an official in a county or independent city responsible for keeping the peace and enforcing the law.[1] Unlike most officials in law enforcement in the United States, sheriffs are usually elected, Elected sheriffs are accountable directly to the citizens of their county, the constitution of their state, and ultimately the United States Constitution.[2]
Sheriffs in the United States - Wikipedia

A sheriff's duty is to uphold the Constitution, and can thereby protect his/her citizens against an unconstitutional whim of state legislators, bureaucrats,

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 01:01 AM
link   

State Criminal Alien Assistance Program (SCAAP)

Overview

BJA administers the State Criminal Alien Assistance Program (SCAAP) in conjunction with the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), Department of Homeland Security (DHS). SCAAP provides federal payments to states and localities that incurred correctional officer salary costs for incarcerating undocumented criminal aliens with at least one felony or two misdemeanor convictions for violations of state or local law, and incarcerated for at least 4 consecutive days during the reporting period.

click link for more info

new topics

top topics

join