It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need Linux Image Editor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 03:30 PM
link   
If anyone has a suggestion on open source software suitable for creating custom memes, it will be appreciated.

Preferably something that can import/export/create jpg and animated gif files, adding text, etc.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Gimp?

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 03:35 PM
link   
[url=https://www.linuxtechi.com/top-12-image-editor-tools-for-linux-desktop/]https://www.linuxtechi.com/top-12-image-editor-tools-for-linux-desktop/[/ url]

Start here maybe

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrustedTruth
Gimp?

I have that.

Quite limited as far as cropping/replacing areas, evem well defined ones.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mach2

Gimp?

I have that.

How so? I've used gimp while ripping graphics to make sprite sheets and tile sets from nes games. That's literally all I did was crop and replace areas 16x16 pixels wide. It worked just fine.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

Gimp?

I have that.

How so? I've used gimp while ripping graphics to make sprite sheets and tile sets from nes games. That's literally all I did was crop and replace areas 16x16 pixels wide. It worked just fine.

Thanks, perhaps I will give it a closer look. TBH, I probably haven't invested the required time.

I've done a huge amount of 3D cad modelling, but image manipulation doesn't follow the same principles, so it seems foriegn.
edit on 2212020 by Mach2 because: Sp

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Mach2

Gimp is fine for a vector editor but its not a nurbs modeling tool like rhino. 3d modeling is way different because you have actual depth in your z axis instead of layers like an image editor. Gimp should work just fine for the things you mentioned.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: drewlander

Also your problem w cut copy etc is you probably pasted your image in the background layer which is locked. Add a layer then import your image...

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

Gimp?

I have that.

Thanks, perhaps I will give it a closer look. TBH, I probably haven't invested the required time.

I've done a huge amount of 3D cad modelling, but image manipulation doesn't follow the same principles, so it seems foriegn.

You still don't really mention what problem you're actually having. If you give some more details about what you're trying to do, I can probably steer you in the right direction at least.

posted on Feb, 22 2020 @ 01:16 AM
link   
a reply to: dug88

For example, take a jpeg af an album cover (in this case, Sgt Pepper), and cut out/replace the faces and or text with that of other jpegs and different text.

I understand using layers, it's the precice "trimming" of areas that is my initial hurdle..

Is is necessary to save everything as native gimp files first?

posted on Feb, 22 2020 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Gimp would be the recommendation. As an alternative there are in-browser image editors that I'm sure will work in Firefox on linux. Some of them might require flash. My favorite in-browser editor is Pixlr.

One pretty easy way to do what you're saying is duplicate a layer, then paint clear around the parts you don't want. The general process I like to use is something like this: Using the lasso loosely select the area you want to preserve like someone's head. Then alter the selection model by using 'select inverse', now you will have everything except the head selected. Add a layer of a solid color (white) under this one, and you can get in close and paint clear around the edges of the head. Try switching up the brush here too. Once it's isolated you can move it around and stuff, if you move it to a different image just be weary of quality and sizing.

There are a million different ways to accomplish this, but this is just a simple one I like. Plus, if you mess up your undo history you can clone the background layer back up. (btw the cloning brush is also useful for 'fudging' textures too)

edit on 22-2-2020 by Attentionwandered because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2020 @ 05:37 AM
link   

a reply to: dug88

For example, take a jpeg af an album cover (in this case, Sgt Pepper), and cut out/replace the faces and or text with that of other jpegs and different text.

I understand using layers, it's the precice "trimming" of areas that is my initial hurdle..

Is is necessary to save everything as native gimp files first?

Gimp is just an image editor. It will save png, jpg, etc.. you just load what you require, work on it, save it as whatever format you prefer.

I knew a guy years ago who made his own animated gifs with it. I still use Paint Shop Pro 9, I can't get my head around things like photoshop et al, where simple things require numerous steps... lol

3D software just baffles me... though I can use After Effects rather efficiently if I follow a tutorial..

But yeah, gimp isn't a proprietary format application. It's just an editor. Which would fit everything you mentioned in your OP.. if you want photoshop style cut'n'paste, with intelligent background removal and so on, I have no idea about a linux alternative. I do it old school... meticulously draw around what I want cut, either to remove, or use... and use a feathered contracted mask to add a Gaussian blur to areas that need attention..

Hence my shoops look like they're done on a program made in 2009 and done by someone with no patience.. haha

You can't paint a masterpiece without the ability - it's not the paintbrush, it's how you use it and the ability with which you can put on a canvas that which you envisage.

And other extraneous wordy things....

Hell, look at this - this is done in M$ paint...

posted on Feb, 22 2020 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Thanks a bunch guys.

After watching a few You Tube examples, and spending a few hours, i see the power and versatility.

Does everything I want.

Now the hard part.......patience.......lol

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Mach2

Does everything I want. Now the hard part.......patience.......lol

There used to be a GIMP build that had a layout like Photoshop. Not sure it is still made.

There is a plugin for GIMP to let you use PS filters. There are many free GIMP filters too.

Be sure to get the G'MIC plugin for GIMP. When installing GMIP in Linux you can add it then in most cases.

GIMP is very powerful. It does have a learning curve though.

As far as 3D in Linux. There are a few choices, I use Blender mostly.

For video editing I like Kdenlive.

edit on 23-2-2020 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join