It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Old School Punk

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 10:18 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 03:11 PM
link   
The original lineup of Generation X had already broken up by 1979. Frontman Billy Idol went on to rock n' roll fame while guitarist Bob "Derwood" Andrews and drummer Mark Laff formed Empire which sadly went nowhere.

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 10:16 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 04:48 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Scotland 1978

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 02:44 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

Tail end of punk /beginning of something new:

edit on 8-4-2020 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 01:33 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: ColoradoJens

Yeah things started to splinter a bit - I've been trying to stay true to the OP but it is getting harder! Here's a few L.A. bands that were right in that zone. Punk spirit but moving in their own directions

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Back on point

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Yeah, sorry about that. It's a slippery slope around that time...

One hilarious thing to mention, if you ever come to Denver, Jello Biafra hosts a DJ party just about every other week at the Lion's Lair bar. Not playing a lot of music like the old days but still. I mean the guy ran for Mayor of SF come on.

And don't go see these guys live if you don't want to see a grown man eventually naked on the stage.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 04:17 PM
link   

I saw Fear right about that time on a bill with the Divine Horsemen and 45Grave. I remember the 1980 Presidential election was right around the corner and all the punks were raging about Ronald Reagan. 45Grave drummer Don Bolles was walking through the crowd handing out "Don Bolles for President" bumper stickers.
Lee Ving was entertaining for sure, but my favorite frontman had to be Lux.

The last time I saw them his wardobe consisted solely of ruby red stilettos and a gold speedo about 3 sizes too small!

Here's my favorite DK's song -

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 04:35 PM
link   

If you had one of those "Don Bolles for President" stickers I'd pay good money for it. That is classic.
Im laughing my ass off at all these memories thanks underpass61. And the Regan era was built for punk! So many got leverage there .

Lux had pants that had to be surgically attached. Also any band that plays a mental hospital gets a bump up in standing.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 05:01 PM
link   

That "Live at Camarillo State Hospital" tape is awesome. That was when Bryan Gregory was still in the band. After he left there were all kinds of crazy rumors surrounding his departure. Satanic cults, mental breakdowns, all kinds of weird stuff. Too bad ATS wasn't around back then, I would have made a thread!
Thanks for the kind words, and thanks for allowing me to dig around in my old brain (and record collection) for this thread.

One more Cramps tune just to acknowledge that even Lux's antics couldn't overshadow Poison Ivy - she was HOT!

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Oh Poison Ivy had it all. I wouldn't have known what to do if I met her then.

And you are so right the urban legends created in the aftermath of performing for mental patients are many. Again, haven't thought about the Cramps getting hexed in a while from that show, ha!

How about these guys? Haven't seen them mentioned:

Also yeah yeah I know, but at least its in the spirit:

edit on 9-4-2020 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 05:22 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Yeah Fugazi were great. They were a bit later on for me though. I was getting older, engaged, and working to buy a house by then. My constant clubbing days were pretty much over. Still went out as often as we could afford, my fiance (now wife of 32 years) was a full-on 2 Tone Specials/Selecter/Bad Manners/English Beat ska chick, whos other all-time fave band was the Clash so obviously it was meant to be

We did a lot of dancing to this one-

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 01:14 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Not punk. But punk.

posted on Apr, 12 2020 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Yeah the roots of punk run deep! Consensus says Iggy Pop was the godfather which is probably pretty accurate.
I was 12 in 1973 when I discovered Mott the Hoople. They were part of the glam scene but way grittier and more streetwise than Bowie or T-Rex. As soon as I heard them I gave my Beatles and Partridge Family records to my little sister.

This song is about as punk as it gets-

Happy Easter!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join