It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump's Jingoist Remarks

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 10:23 AM
link   
The argument can also be easily made that a country's president should be jingoist to a decent degree. As long as he's not talking about slapping sanctions on South Korea for winning best picture, or something of that nature, he is President of the UNITED STATES, not President of South Korea or President of the World... Thus, most Americans appreciate a president being patriotic to a fault, at least they used to before we went full retard and turned everything into a virtue signalling pissing match to prove how goddamned woke we are. LOL, talk about living in in the Dumb Ages, we be in it, we be in it for sure.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

NBA/LeBron James sucked up to China too. I bet they won't go over there this month.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

NBA/LeBron James sucked up to China too. I bet they won't go over there this month.

Soon his flow of paper will be impacted, as he doesn't presently have Chinese children stitiching together his Nike shoes for market.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Parasite was overrated.

We have a category for Best International Feature Film.

Trump's statements were not jingoism because it was a gripe on the Oscars, not an aggressive or warlike position against South Korea.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

To be fair, I would argue that there have been many years that a foreign film deserved to win and weren't even nominated.

I do believe that Parasite's win is a condemnation of Hollywood. But not because of politics. I mean Joker was probably the least deserving movie to be nominated and that was a film embraced by the alt-Right.

The problem with Hollywood is that they put all their money behind flashy blockbusters that lack substance. The studios don't take risks anymore. And while it makes sense from a business view, it's sad from an artistic view.

The fact that the President is slamming the hands down best movie because it's foreign makes things even worse.

Can you define alt-right?

To me that refers to the 2 - 5,000 white nationalists that exist in the country. I never heard that they were fans of the Joker - but even if they were - why the hell do you care? They are meaningless scum whose opinion carries no value whatsoever.

Something tells me your definition of alt-right, must be closer to the BS definition CNN uses which declares all Trump supporters as racists.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: TexasTruth
Foolish comment made by the best choice for President. I can live with it.
All the best movies I’ve seen lately have been subtitles. Foreign Films don’t seem to follow the same regurgitated crap Hollywood puts out. Although Joker and Once upon were great.

I'm pretty sure the academy awards were established to promote American made films - as it is an American organization.

Trump's whole point is Hollywood has sunk so much that they are not even producing films they feel should be awarded anymore.

To spell it out - he is A. ragging on all the Hollywood Trump Haters, and B. pointing out hollywood leftists hate america so much they are not even using the awards to pick an American movie - which is what it was designed for.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: UpIsNowDown

Reviews and rating score sites aren't trustworthy anymore. Rotten Tomatoes used to be legit, then studios started talking about suing them, so they now tend to drift in whatever direction the money leads them in.

Ok have you seen the movie and did you enjoy it?, thats all that really matters

I have yet to see it but have seen/heard nothing but good things about it including personal friends, most reviews are praising it, the trailer looked good IMO, is the general ATS consensus its not good because Trump said so or is there something in the movie that the ATS populous dislike?

At least Trump offered another movie which should have won, "Gone with the Wind" I think that came out last year also

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 11:33 AM
link   

What I was basically saying is I don't put much credence into movie review/aggregate sites. It wasn't about this particular movie at all but was intended to be a general comment. I'll be honest, I *probably* won't see this movie. Nothing to do with politics, the opinions of others, or even whether the movie is good or bad... it might be a stunning piece of film art, it's just not a movie that particularly interests me from what I've seen of it. As I said earlier, that's not exactly something particularly special for me, I don't watch a ton of movies the last decade or so. I literally saw 2 movies from 2019 last year, TWO. I also don't have any regular TV service... I stream what interests me and don't pay much mind to the rest.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 11:45 AM
link   

ETA: I remembered I also took my wife to see Deadpool 2... so I guess I did see more than one movie. Considering that, I think Deadpool 2 should have gotten the best picture award, as it was the best film I saw in 2019.

That came out in 2018.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 11:47 AM
link   

I don't think I said the film wasn't good only that I think it's extreme to characterize Trump's comments as "jingoism". I have also said why.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Trump knows how people are. He's using people's inner fear(s) to get them on his side. "Their out to get you and take over your country...." is what he's implying. He just might win a second term if enough people agree with him on that .

edit on 21-2-2020 by lostbook because: word change

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

O wow i did not know that.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: CitizenZero

It may not be jingoist but it's almost like misplaced nationalism. Art awards have nothing to do with trade agreements.

edit on 21-2-2020 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
But i think we can agree that Trump made a stupid comment.

WHAT!?!?!? Donald J. Trump never makes a stupid comment! That's traitor talk!

Go watch a French arthouse film or something...

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

ETA: I remembered I also took my wife to see Deadpool 2... so I guess I did see more than one movie. Considering that, I think Deadpool 2 should have gotten the best picture award, as it was the best film I saw in 2019.

That came out in 2018.

So it did... well, it takes a good movie to win movie of the year the year following it's release, I reckon.

So I saw 1 movie in 2019.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 12:26 PM
link   

So it did... well, it takes a good movie to win movie of the year the year following it's release, I reckon.

Mhhhhh, hmmmm, I reckon too. Got any extry biscuits?

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Y'all gonna make me light this couch and grab my slingblade, aintcha?

ETA... I've always been of the opinion that the gap between hipster and hillbilly is about as narrow as Hillary's thigh gap. Yeah, see what I'm doing now? Retaliatory brain pain. Made you think of old Thunder Thigh's non existent thigh gap as you picture two Christmas hams struggling in the legs of a pants suit.

edit on 21-2-2020 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I am similar in that I dont watch a ton of movies but had a bit of a binge with my wife (she is poorly at moment), we recently watched Bad times at the el royale (really enjoyed it), Knives Out (really enjoyed), Uncut Diamonds (lots of shouting but good) Joker (bit bleak but decent), Us (decent) and Zombieland double tap (more of the same as the 1st)

If you not watched any I would definitely watch Bad Times at El Royale
edit on 21-2-2020 by UpIsNowDown because: typo

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Way to ruin my Friday.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 12:39 PM
link   

A good movie is just a good movie.

America has had their fair share of them. This year it was a Korean one. It's an interesting planet if you look over the wall.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join