It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump's Jingoist Remarks

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: Boadicea

Except it's not called the American Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. It's called the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. In fact, it was originally conceived as the International Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

The point being that it was never strictly an American organization. It was always intended to celebrate film the world over. So a President to claim that a foreign film doesn't deserve to win Best Picture soley due to political reasons is very much an example of jingoism.

Fair enough. But it is an American entity -- conducting business on our soil and subject to our laws and tax codes, etc. -- and simply by having a foreign film category, the inference is explicit that the other categories are for domestic productions.

Of course they can do as they choose... they make their own rules. And Trump can criticize as he chooses. But SAG is obviously under no obligation to please him.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 08:54 AM
link   

There's also a category for Best Drama, Best Comedy, etc. Should those films be disqualified from Best Picture.

I will never deny someone their opinion as long as it's based on a rational argument. But Trump didn't argue that Parasite wasn't deserving of Best Picture because of its quality. He argued it wasn't deserving because of its nation of origin and the current political agenda he has trying to push.

That's jingoism and needs to be called out.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 08:57 AM
link   

There's also a category for Best Drama, Best Comedy, etc.

Not for the Academy Awards.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Wow, did not realize those awards didn't exist. Why are the Academy Awards so long?

That said, the point still stands with films nominated for Best Animated Feature Film also being nominated for Best Picture.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Wow, did not realize those awards didn't exist. Why are the Academy Awards so long?

Too much fluff with the front loaded awards. They should trim it down to two hours and only show the big stuff.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 09:10 AM
link   

I actually like a lot of the more technical awards (and think that we need one celebrating stunt workers) but there's no way 24 awards should take four-plus hours.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 09:13 AM
link   

There's also a category for Best Drama, Best Comedy, etc. Should those films be disqualified from Best Picture.

That's up to the Academy. That's the only opinion I have on the matter. But I have no problem with Trump having an opinion or you having an opinion or anyone else having an opinion, as long as they don't have the power to force that opinion on anyone else. I can see your point and Trump's point. I'll bet there's other points to be considered as well that I have no idea about. And I don't need to know.

It doesn't have to be an either/or situation. The Academy could also decide to dedicate one awards ceremony to only domestic productions, and another awards ceremony to any and all productions.

I will never deny someone their opinion as long as it's based on a rational argument. But Trump didn't argue that Parasite wasn't deserving of Best Picture because of its quality. He argued it wasn't deserving because of its nation of origin and the current political agenda he has trying to push.

That's jingoism and needs to be called out.

Okay... that's your opinion. And I agree that Trump's criticism was entirely political. I just don't think he's necessarily wrong for having it. That's his perspective from the mother of all political offices! When you're a hammer, everything's a nail. Other opinions will say that it's Trump's job to promote the nation's interests over others. (I won't. I don't recall anything in the Constitution about criticizing any private industry for its award choices...)

If you think it's excessive on Trump's part, then yeah, it's jingoism. But that's still subjective... your opinion. And you are welcome to call it out as that! Just not everyone will agree. It's all opinion.

Makes for an interesting discussion though

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 09:25 AM
link   

I actually like a lot of the more technical awards (and think that we need one celebrating stunt workers) but there's no way 24 awards should take four-plus hours.

Meh, in the end its all useless back patting and resume padding.

awards are useless.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I would argue that for things like Best Actor/Actress/etc.

The technical side of things deserves the acknowledgment. They put in hundreds of hours of work and get nowhere near the money nor recognition they deserve.

Especially when it comes to stunt work. Those people are literally putting their lives on the line but apparently that doesn't deserve an award.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 09:35 AM
link   
A basic search of Jingoism on Google reveals this,

Jingoism is nationalism in the form of aggressive foreign policy, such as a country's advocacy for the use of threats or actual force, as opposed to peaceful relations, in efforts to safeguard what it perceives as its national interests.

Can you tell me how Trumps opinion of a movie will translate to an aggressive foreign policy that will target South Korea?

You're just being the usual emotionally outraged leftist who looks to deeply into something that isn't there.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123
dont get bogged down in the details
just go with the general orange man bad theme for once will ya?

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

It was a swipe at Hollywood and the gathering of asshats at said awards show... little else. I haven't seen Parasite (hell, I didn't attend a single movie in 2019 other than Endgame) so I'll leave it at that. No idea if any of the movies were worthy of any accolades.

ETA: I remembered I also took my wife to see Deadpool 2... so I guess I did see more than one movie. Considering that, I think Deadpool 2 should have gotten the best picture award, as it was the best film I saw in 2019.
edit on 21-2-2020 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 09:41 AM
link   

So Trump isn't trying to "safeguard" our national interests by advocating for domestic made movies over a foreign made movie for no other reason than foreign policy?
edit on 2/21/2020 by Xcalibur254 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Well I think ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.......

I'm sorry I fell asleep after reading the OP.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6
holy _ _ _ _ its the juggernaught!!

should have won for best original song

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 09:48 AM
link   

a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I would argue that for things like Best Actor/Actress/etc.

The technical side of things deserves the acknowledgment. They put in hundreds of hours of work and get nowhere near the money nor recognition they deserve.

Especially when it comes to stunt work. Those people are literally putting their lives on the line but apparently that doesn't deserve an award.

I mean, if folks want to be audience to their lauds and laurels, who am i to stop them?

Its just not my interest. I don't even watch the Heisman award, and im a college football fanatic. I've been given some awards, and i show up to recieve them to be polite...not because it means much anything.

To me, the act creates the reward. If it didn't i'd need to find a way to do something different. Charity, work, being the worlds best dad...all of it is a reward in and of itself.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Best Picture - Home Alone 2
Best Supporting Actor - D.Trump

Seems fair, its not like Parasite is a good movie or anything

Parasite 2019 - Meta Critic

current rating - Critics 96, Users - 8.9

Parasite (Gisaengchung) - Rotten Tomato

Audience Score 91%

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 10:13 AM
link   

So Trump isn't trying to "safeguard" our national interests by advocating for domestic made movies over a foreign made movie for no other reason than foreign policy?
You're the one trying to force the opinion that Trump made jingoist remarks without the data to back it up.

Another source of the definiton,

disapproving : the feelings and beliefs of people who think that their country is always right and who are in favor of aggressive acts against other countries

Once again, your opinion is dismantled at the fact that Trump disagrees with the Motion Picture Associations choice of winner and simply responded with his usual jab he does.

I feel like your misinterpreting what Jingoism actually is and trying to assert his jab as evidence of it, but once again those pesky definitions literally spell out aggressive stances as a result of extreme Nationalism, of which he displayed none but an opinion.

Now if Trump said, "The awards were BS and we should have won, no matter what because we're America! The greatest! And south Korea? Bad very bad, what do you say? small tariff slap will make them think otherwise, right?
Than it would be percieved as Jingoism, but since nothing of the sort happened, zzzzzz.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

work.chron.com...

Looks like they get paid quite well for it, too.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: UpIsNowDown

Reviews and rating score sites aren't trustworthy anymore. Rotten Tomatoes used to be legit, then studios started talking about suing them, so they now tend to drift in whatever direction the money leads them in.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join