It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump's Jingoist Remarks

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr
I thought the same thing how bad must the garbage be that they had to go to south korea to find a movie to give awards.

Hollywood is supposed to be the mecca of the film industry what happened??

Art can come from anywhere. Isn't it great that we are finding movies from other countries that we can enjoy in western society?

Hollywood has been at the top of the industry by a long shot. It's just silly to complain that we got a good movie from south South Korea.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Oh I know...

The greatest country in the world deserves the best prizes. If they don't get them...the prizes must be fake.

Peace

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 08:01 AM
link   

I don't agree or disagree with Trump... I really don't give a rat's patootie... but Trump is welcome to his opinion. And that's all it is -- just his opinion. He didn't get to vote.

But his opinion isn't without logic and reason either, and not necessarily "jingoism". There is nothing inherently wrong with expecting/wanting an American institution purportedly honoring itself to actually honor American efforts. There is a foreign film category, for which it could have won. And Trump apparently feels it should have won that category. Not a category intended for American films.

My only opinion is that generally speaking Hollywood is producing more and more crap films, and they need to take a good long look in the mirror and ask themselves where they went wrong...

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

Hollywood has been at the top of the industry by a long shot.

Not so.

Hollywood produces 500 films per year on average and has a worldwide audience of 2.6 billion whereas Bollywood produces more than 1000 (not consistently) films every year and has a worldwide audience of 3 Billion. In terms of vieweship, Bollywood overtook Hollywood in 2004 and has been leading ever since

mutiny.wordpress.com...

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Isn't that one about all those gritty gangs? I can't tell without the American subtitles ...

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

You're thinking of Gangnams of New York which had that very Liberal, very annoying Leonardo DiCaprio and his phony global warming propaganda.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Eh, there's nothing wrong with a foreign film winning the whole thing, either.

But slamming Trump for "jingoism" for pointing out what you and I have said -- That an American Institution to honor and highlight Hollywood produced so much crap this year that they had to go foreign to find the best film is also pretty extreme.

Hollywood has been slipping off its game for a while because they've been busy producing politically correct garbage over actually making films, and it shows. Other countries don't care if they include roles for the LBGT+ Whatever Other Letters crowd, POCs, make the starring roles Mary Sue females because to put them in a traditional hero's journey angers feminists (even though it makes for boring stories), and only add white male character when they can make them villains or flat out incompetent. Those other countries simply tell stories on screen, and it shows.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Except it's not called the American Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. It's called the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. In fact, it was originally conceived as the International Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

The point being that it was never strictly an American organization. It was always intended to celebrate film the world over. So a President to claim that a foreign film doesn't deserve to win Best Picture soley due to political reasons is very much an example of jingoism.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

But the Academy isn't supposed to pick the most popular movie in America. If that were the case Endgame would've won. But it wasn't even nominated. Because the award is supposed to go to the best film. Period.

Also, Joker was mediocre at best. It felt like a film where they just tried to check boxes to make it artsy. It still came across as just another soulless, overproduced, piece of tripe that Hollywood has become known for. If it wasn't for the controversy I doubt it would even be in the running.

Uncut Gems or Knives Out were way more deserving for the nod.

Art is opinion, so there's that.

But that being said...you cannot be surprised that Americans (who are the big money purveyors of this art) aren't shocked that a film they'd never heard of, and is foreign language, won the award. Few can confirm or deny if its the best film period, because no one who viewed the awards had even seen it.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 08:18 AM
link   

The reality is that it indicates that the Academy may be out of step with what Americans want. This selection seems to indicate it.

Parasite was the best movie when it comes to the art of making a movie. Which is what this is supposed to be an award for. Joker was all right, but it was just a study of a guy going crazy. Plenty of that going around.

If the Academy Awards were about what Americans wanted to watch the most it’d be nothing but 700 lb people and serial killers phoning it in from jail.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong
a reply to: blueman12

Hollywood has been at the top of the industry by a long shot.

Not so.

Hollywood produces 500 films per year on average and has a worldwide audience of 2.6 billion whereas Bollywood produces more than 1000 (not consistently) films every year and has a worldwide audience of 3 Billion. In terms of vieweship, Bollywood overtook Hollywood in 2004 and has been leading ever since

mutiny.wordpress.com...
I think he was referencing the cultural aspectz Hollywood is dominate on that. The weekend Endgame released, no one could be bothered on what country was releasing what in cinema because Hollywood.

What you've linked is the production count of movies in contrast from a country of millions to billions, yet ironically, it is the lesser of the two that produces the most cultural impact from its movies.

However, as of recently, and as others pointed out, Hollywood is out of touch with America right now, it seriously is.

Even so,

Although Hollywood produces only a fraction of the number of films made all over the world, it garners a staggering 75% of total revenues. Also, 50% of its earnings(expected to grow to 80% in the next 20 years) come from the foreign market whereas for Bollywood it is 20%.
Hollywood has an overwhelming domination among the top grossers worldwide – almost all of the top 50 movies are made in Hollywood. It has virtually eclipsed all other film industries except Bollywood – for instance, the European film industry cut down to 1/10th of its size since 1910.

edit on 21-2-2020 by Arnie123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

But the Academy isn't supposed to pick the most popular movie in America. If that were the case Endgame would've won. But it wasn't even nominated. Because the award is supposed to go to the best film. Period.

Also, Joker was mediocre at best. It felt like a film where they just tried to check boxes to make it artsy. It still came across as just another soulless, overproduced, piece of tripe that Hollywood has become known for. If it wasn't for the controversy I doubt it would even be in the running.

Uncut Gems or Knives Out were way more deserving for the nod.

Art is opinion, so there's that.

But that being said...you cannot be surprised that Americans (who are the big money purveyors of this art) aren't shocked that a film they'd never heard of, and is foreign language, won the award. Few can confirm or deny if its the best film period, because no one who viewed the awards had even seen it.
I remember the Anime, but never knew they had a movie.

I have to agree with your assertions here and you're no Trump supporter.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 08:24 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
Parasite was the best movie when it comes to the art of making a movie.

My top choices were 1917, Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, Parasite and Joker. I thought they were all really well made films with great acting, cinematography and writing.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 08:31 AM
link   
A couple years ago the best movie Oscar went to a movie about a deaf woman having sex with a fish man.

Let’s just say that art is objective

Or is that subjective......lol
edit on 21-2-2020 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Was there actually good story and characters behind 1917? I still haven't seen it and all the marketing surrounding it seemed to focus on the cinematography.

Don't get me wrong, I love the art of cinematography. And I'm always impressed by continuous shots (fake as it may be in this case.) But those kinds of things alone can't make a movie great.

link   
Trump made another stupid comment.
About films.

Does anyone think the stupid comments are going to stop?
Are you still surprised about what he is?

The really sad part is the dnc has no one that can best him.

link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Hollywood has been slipping off its game for a while because they've been busy producing politically correct garbage over actually making films, and it shows. Other countries don't care if they include roles for the LBGT+ Whatever Other Letters crowd, POCs, make the starring roles Mary Sue females because to put them in a traditional hero's journey angers feminists (even though it makes for boring stories), and only add white male character when they can make them villains or flat out incompetent. Those other countries simply tell stories on screen, and it shows.

Very well said. They're so busy patting themselves on the back for their wokeness that the quality of the film gets lost.

Another side of this -- TV shows -- is lauding and spotlighting women for no other reason than because they're doing something "manly" -- and not necessarily very well. My husband likes to watch auto rebuild shows and the like, and there's a couple with women that he just can't watch because there's nothing special or remarkable about the women or the shows... and the shows usually seem to promote products throughout. He considers it insulting to all women to use such mediocre women as the shining star example. On the other hand, he's quite impressed with some of the women racers on other shows, because he says they bring an added nuance or flair that ups their race. He admires and respects that!

I know I'm expressing this poorly. I hope you get what I mean!

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

The Shape of Water was amazing. Once again, another year where I'm surprised the Academy actually went with a deserving movie. I guess all the Old Guard is starting to die out.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 08:42 AM
link   

It deserved its nomination.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join