It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why have I never been polled?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2020 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I was polled during the 2016 election cycle. Living in a massively deep blue state, and being a fiscally conservative & socially liberal independent, I decided to have fun and answer the opposite of anything I truly wanted. I shared this experience with all of my friends with similar leanings. A few of them got polled, and did the same. I heard later that many in the same boat did the same when polled (not due to me, that's for sure).

Such fun skewing polls and then seeing the egg on the faces of the MSM on election night.

Priceless fun.

edit on 2/19/2020 by Krakatoa because: fixed spelling errors & clarified

posted on Feb, 19 2020 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Oddly enough, I've been "polled" twice- About once every eight years... each time I hang up on them, and I don't hear back.

Meanwhile, in those same years, I've known at least three people (all women, for what its worth) who have donated more than five bucks to these leeches that call... and all of them get polled regularly.

posted on Feb, 19 2020 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Scepticaldem

Oh man, you lucky bugger, I am on a list I think. Last year I got polled at least five or six times, the year before that I was polled only about three or four times.

posted on Feb, 19 2020 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
a reply to: Lumenari

When I registered to vote, I didn't include my cell phone number.

I'm assuming you registered under your real name and address though...

You are aware that getting your cell phone number costs me $3 to find under your name.

It would cost a major company who farms phone numbers about .025 cents a person for a voter roll per state.

Think harder.

posted on Feb, 19 2020 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa
I was polled during the 2016 election cycle. Living in a massively deep blue state, and being a fiscally conservative & socially liberal independent, I decided to have fun and answer the opposite of anything I truly wanted. I shared this experience with all of my friends with similar leanings. A few of them got polled, and did the same. I heard later that many in the same boat did the same when polled (not due to me, that's for sure).

Such fun skewing polls and then seeing the egg on the faces of the MSM on election night.

Priceless fun.

That is what I feel I would do as well.

Probably why they mean nothing as of late

That is why I asked the question, there appears to be no science behind "polls" that anyone can prove....

Lolz🤪

posted on Feb, 19 2020 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

I'm assuming you registered under your real name and address though...

You are aware that getting your cell phone number costs me $3 to find under your name.

It would cost a major company who farms phone numbers about .025 cents a person for a voter roll per state.

Think harder.

My home address and my cell phone are not associated with each other. I'm on a family plan and the bill goes to a different address.

I've done my share of market research work, which is why I answer the phone and take these kinds of surveys. These studies use random numbers, generated and dialed by computers.

posted on Feb, 19 2020 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I got polled once.

It was a British, of all things, radio show.

The goal, I think, was to point out how dumb Americans were, or some such nonsense...

The question asked was: Did I approve of the bombing of Agrabah, which is, of course, the fictional city from Disney's Aladdin (I guess they thought I wouldn't know that...or hoped so.).

My answer: ...and hurt Princess Jasmine? Hell no.

Polls are, in all essence, utterly worthless. Because they're seldom without bias.

posted on Feb, 19 2020 @ 10:29 PM
link   

If you really want to be poled, find out where Pete Bootyjeg goes. He smiles all the damn time.

posted on Feb, 19 2020 @ 10:44 PM
link   

I've been polled twice. I just answered my phone.

So, most intelligent people I know don’t answer a call from a phone number they don’t recognize. The people that do answer those calls are Democrats and this we have the faulty poll numbers.

posted on Feb, 19 2020 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Strange how you never have been polled. How do they know your opinion is worthless without even knowing you?

Just joking around.

posted on Feb, 20 2020 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Most people who are abducted by extraterrestrials get polled. Your time is coming soon.

posted on Feb, 20 2020 @ 03:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Scepticaldem

Honest question,

They call your cell phone?

Who is calling?

Yes, they call my cell phone. I don't remember the first one, but the last one was a research group out of Texas, I'm in California, asking me generic questions about my political knowledge and preferences and opinions, on a scale from 1-10...questions like "How important is the economy in your voting decision?" How important is climate change in your voting decision?"

Did you sign up for anything?

posted on Feb, 20 2020 @ 09:32 AM
link   
i've never been polled. I've asked about polls several times, and no one I've ever met has been polled either.

It feels like they concentrate on cities. Out in the country no one gets polled.

posted on Feb, 20 2020 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

no one I've ever met has been polled either.

Is that something you typically ask people you meet?

posted on Feb, 20 2020 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

No.

Its a conversation piece I may have with people I know, though. And I know a lot of folks.

Its anecdotal, and i can't quantify it, so i didn't bother. Just giving my own perspective.

posted on Feb, 20 2020 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

They can find you anywhere

posted on Feb, 20 2020 @ 01:20 PM
link   
They take a diverse sample they can extrapolate over the population.

They grab 2000 to 5000 people and make sure they match the % demographics wise with the proper ratios as they relate to the population.

These demographics Im l speaking of represent: race, gender, age, location, party affiliation or lackthereof, and also tale poll numbers in mutiple ways to reduce first responder bias. They do some in person, some over the phone, some via mail, some out in public so the method is diversified and theres no bias.

They then take a portion of the results, build a model from it.. and test it across their entire sample size. If it predicts correctly, they have an accurate poll that should be able to be scaled up to represent the entire targeted population.

Thats why so many people are never polled. They can get accurate results from 5,000 people using scientific polling methods.

posted on Feb, 20 2020 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
i've never been polled. I've asked about polls several times, and no one I've ever met has been polled either.

It feels like they concentrate on cities. Out in the country no one gets polled.

No, in order to keep their polls scientific and accurate they need to poll enough people in rural areas to maintain that their polled sample accurately reflects the whole population.

They do. However the bar isnt very high, because the urban population vastly outweighs the rural pop.

Methods of polling in the rural areas are difficult too.. they have to poll by mail or phone because no one is going door to door when houses are a half mile apart... and when country folk have no trespassing signs with guns on them

posted on Feb, 20 2020 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lucidparadox

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

No, in order to keep their polls scientific and accurate they need to poll enough people in rural areas to maintain that their polled sample accurately reflects the whole population.

They do. However the bar isnt very high, because the urban population vastly outweighs the rural pop.

Methods of polling in the rural areas are difficult too.. they have to poll by mail or phone because no one is going door to door when houses are a half mile apart... and when country folk have no trespassing signs with guns on them

Awww, that's a shame. If they truly want it to be representative, and unbiased by politics, then that would not be a hurdle now would it?

posted on Feb, 20 2020 @ 01:44 PM
link   
i get polled usually a few times a year. I think it maybe because i do a lot of online surveys and give my phone # . I also have a landline and answer my phone

<< 1   >>

join