It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Stand Still - Pershing's Own Tribute to Neil Peart

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2020 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Sgt. Tim Whalen wasnted to do a Neil Peart tribute, so he and the US Army Band Pershing's Own put together this arrangement.

When SFC Tim Whalen heard the news, he was shocked and saddened. As a lifelong RUSH fan, he felt compelled to do something to honor Neil and the band that has meant so much in his own life. He immediately knew the song “Time Stand Still” would be the perfect choice. SFC Whalen reflects, "The lyrics to this song have always resonated deeply with me, and they show Neil’s heart. I wanted to showcase the deep humanity he had in his writing. The song is about life moving too fast, due to both things we can control and things we can’t, and the desire to hold onto something just a little longer. This is such a universal message, whether it be children growing up too fast, a loved one dying, or a soldier leaving home wondering if they’ll ever see their family again.”

Fittingly, it has no drums.

"Time Stand Still" is one of those songs that just gets more and more powerful as you get older. It meant something to me even back in high school when I knew that things I was doing then were going to be those fond memories I was going to want to re-live. The ones the song talks about so often. And as you get older, there are more and more moments that add. Times with relatives who are no longer with you .... things like that, and they all come rushing back when you hear this song.

And this arrangement makes it haunting. Now, I have something in my eye.
edit on 19-2-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2020 @ 05:01 PM
link   
S&F because Neil Peart was a huge inspiration to me growing up and I love the sentiment from the US Army Band.

But..... and this is a BIG but..... How can you have a tribute to Neil Peart without DRUMS??? I'm sorry but that just doesn't make any SENSE!!

Here's Peart's tribute to Buddy Rich.

posted on Feb, 19 2020 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep

Because he's gone. The song is time moving on and wishing you could freeze it. You can't and time has now moved on. It's sort of like the musical equivalent of a missing man formation or the empty plate IMO.

edit on 19-2-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2020 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Well the sentiment is there, and no disrespect to the US Army Band. Interpretation is always up to the artist. Pearts drumming style isn't gone, it will live on as an inspiration to many others he's inspired over the years. It's just weird to leave out the main thing he was world famous for.

posted on Feb, 19 2020 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep

I guess there are different ways to highlight what you are missing. One way is to try to mimic it to the best of your ability -- showcase the drums. Another way is to very obviously leave that element out, and let the stark absence speak as loudly. In a way, it's an acknowledgement that no one will ever be Neil Peart even though there will be great drummers. He is irreplaceable, so the Sgt. chose a song he felt revealed Neil in more ways than the drums, and left the drums out to highlight Neil's absence from our lives.

posted on Feb, 20 2020 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Beautifully done 🇺🇸

posted on Feb, 20 2020 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Excellent tribute! I love the fact that the drums were left out. It is just like the missing man formation in my opinion.

Fun fact, I went to high school with one of the members of the 'Pershing's Own'. He is not in this video as he is a trumpet player.

top topics

join