It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Fire Have Life?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 03:41 AM
link   
how do we define life? life= something someone that can speak,talk,move,breathe?

or in a scientific terms life= metabolism , reproduction and growing?

if so, in a scientific terms, fire does not have life

:: this is my personal view, ahha....only personal opinion.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Anyway, I believe that fire may actually have a life of sorts. My brother is a firefighter, and he will be the first to tell you that fire takes on a life of it's own. Fire even "hunts". In a backdraft, fire will hide, but will spring it's trap on whomever opens the door.
I for one think that stranger things than that are possible.

[edit on 3/11/2005 by superdude]

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Superdude:
If fire does have life then why have humans been embedded with the power to create it? Would this make us Gods in our own right? And if so, do you believe that the creation of fire by primitive man was the turning point from the 'animal' mind to the more 'inner-awareness' that we exhibit today?

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 06:46 AM
link   
To end the madness.......No it does not have a life of it own! It has characteristics that we refer to in living attributes....such as when it touches something else and it catches it on fire we can say it "reproduces" and we have applied words to it such as "breath," "die" ect....but it is not an entity of life in "our" definitions, it has no intellect....it is as mentioned, an element force......not an Elemental....whole other topic and an Elemental is an entity

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV
Elemental is an entity

What's the difference between an elemental force and and element? In other words, what makes an Elemental an entity and more over, Where can I find an elemental? Or is it one of those 'meta-physical' things.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Elements of course....are... Earth, Air, Fire, and Water; without them life could not exist. These four Elements correspond to the four directions of our physical world, the four quarters of the universe, the four winds, and most importantly, to the four quarters of the magikal circle. Water and Earth are considered female energies..... Fire and Air are male.

Elementals are the inhabitants of these elements, but are not quite the same as the four substances that give them their names. These are nature spirits who have no definite form or appearance, forces of nature whose activity can result in causing unblance in nature and problems.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Uhhh not since the 12th century ladyV.
Earth Ar fire and water are not elements.
Air is a mxture of elemnts such as oxygen, nitrogen etc.
Water is a mixture of the elements hydrogen and oxygen.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwm1331
Uhhh not since the 12th century ladyV.
Earth Ar fire and water are not elements.
Air is a mxture of elemnts such as oxygen, nitrogen etc.
Water is a mixture of the elements hydrogen and oxygen.

Agreed. Segmenting our world into 4 elements is an idea created out of antiquated Romantism thought. Matter of fact, ancient Chinese philosophers believed that gold was one of these elements. It’s just another way for our animal minds to divide our world into ways in which we can better understand it.

However, (no offense) stating that the universe operates on subjective human observations of our terrestrial planet is, in short, arrogant. Why should the omnipotent universe operate on boundaries and rules that we set for it?

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 07:34 AM
link   
No asked when they asked what the difference was.....and in case you are not in the know....which you aren't apparently, there are still those that work with Elementals and their forces......just so you know..

I have to get to work, I'll check this later.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   

I wouldn't say it breathes. It does require oxygen, but breathing and requiring oxygen are 2 different things.

You say that requiring oxygen and breathing oxygen are two different things ???? Why, do you know what your lungs do with the oxygen that goes in them. It pumps it through your body and your body turns it into Carbon Dyoxide ... What do you think happens when fire is done with oxygen ... Yep ... it turns into Carbon Dioxide.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asia Minor
No. It doesn't repdoduce or have any type of consciousness.

What do you call a fire in a field with lots of Oxygen and Fuel to FEED IT !!! ???? It will reproduce as much as you like. Just like you when you have oxygen and food. If you didn't you couldn't reproduce either .

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   
You call it a fire. Nothing more, nothing less. It is not life.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I don't know about them but I was thinking of fire having life in a different form, perhaps not one that we can comprehend, but having life nonetheless.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   

I don't know about them but I was thinking of fire having life in a different form, perhaps not one that we can comprehend, but having life nonetheless.

That is exactly my point. There are life forms that we haven't seen before. It's happened before. Look at the tubulars that live on ocean bottom near vents in temperatures we thought would kill anything we knew of, yet they thrive. Is fire a life form we simply can't identify as of yet?

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   

If fire does have life then why have humans been embedded with the power to create it? Would this make us Gods in our own right?

To answer your question simply, is it so different than owning an aquarium? I have a 450 gallon Reef tank. I control when the "sun" comes up, and when it sets. I control the temperature, the purity, and salinity, of the water. I control everything for this ecosystem. Am I a god? I've never considered myself one, EVER. Not in any way shape or form. Yet to the corals and crustaceans - I guess I might be. It would probably be very short sighted to think that life forms are only those that we have seen before, and can identify with. Is it so short-sighted to think that something we all take for granted is actually a life form in it's own right?

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Fire is an element. If your wondering whether fire has a life, what about earth, water, or wind?

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   
As I am a firery I would have to say Yes , many fires I've been in have fought us all the way to extinction.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustAnIllusion
Fire is an element. If your wondering whether fire has a life, what about earth, water, or wind?

Stop with these names, obviously the people that made this are trying to think outside of the box, and in order to consider that fire has a life, you have to get past the "facts" and "names" that science has given various things to let your mind roam for a minute.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   
why did this thread get so many replies? mine got close to none, but mine had more to it scientifically too. i only posted thsi exact topic six days ago, use the search from now on.

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

[edit on 3/11/2005 by Schmidt1989]

[edit on 3/11/2005 by Schmidt1989]

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 01:56 AM
link   
As I sat here contemplating doing something useful this thread caught my eye.... After reading the 2 pages of this thread I would like to petition ATS for my 10 minutes back.
That being said Fire is most definitelly not alive, and your admonishment to ladyv to stop being "stupid" because fire is not really an element and her beliefs are rooted in a romanesque superstition that was merelly a way for humans to deal with their world was uncalled for. You were doing the same thing when you used words to give living characteristics to a chemical reaction.
The single redeeming virtue of this thread has been the humbling experience of watching educated people wax poetic about the lifelike qualities of fire, and then realizing that 10,000 years ago somewhere in Africa or the Middle East the educated of another time sat around a life giving fire debating the same thing. It kind of puts into perspective how far we have really came in the period inbetween.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join