It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Grants Clemency to Blagojevich, Milken and Kerik

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Feb, 18 2020 @ 06:34 PM
link   

WASHINGTON — President Trump, citing what he said was the advice from friends and business associates, commuted the sentence of Rod R. Blagojevich, the former Democratic governor of Illinois, and pardoned the financier Michael R. Milken, the former New York City police commissioner Bernard B. Kerik and Edward J. DeBartolo Jr., a former owner of the San Francisco 49ers.

All were prominent public figures convicted of charges that included fraud, corruption and lying. Three received prison terms — Mr. Blagojevich was still serving a 14-year sentence — while Mr. DeBartolo paid a $1 million fine. The president also pardoned or commuted the sentences of seven other people on Tuesday as well.

Source

Well the mental gymnastics on this one should be fun. In what world does granting people like Blagojevich and Milken count as "draining the swamp" and rooting out corruption.

All this looks like to me is Trump helping out some old buddies. But I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell us how this is actually a 42D chess move that will ultimately spell the end of every liberal in the world.

posted on Feb, 18 2020 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
...this is actually a 42D chess move that will ultimately spell the end of every liberal in the world.

100%.

He's gonna grant clemency to every political scumbag in or about to be in the system and send them all to San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago and Seattle.

posted on Feb, 18 2020 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I'm not sure what to make of Blag. Should do his time. Sets the wrong precedence for cleaning the swamp.

posted on Feb, 18 2020 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Just a ruse to get the Democrats out in the open so he can strike.

Because a fraudulent conman really wants to fight corruption.

posted on Feb, 18 2020 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Blago totally deserved to go to prison, but.... armed robbers often don't spend 8 years in prison. His 14-year sentence was definitely excessive.

The only non-violent offenses that deserve that kind of time are ones that ruin people's lives (eg, the Bernie Madoff swindles).

Trump has been very consistent about pardoning people who were given excessive sentences. Many have been poor blacks arrested for non-violent drug crimes, who were sent away under "3 Strikes" laws.

posted on Feb, 18 2020 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Blago's sentence was ridiculous.... I don't know who he pissed off, but that sentence he got was out of line imho. Secondly, unless they are willing to throw every politico in jail, what exactly did he do wrong other than get caught on tape horse trading like every other politician does?

posted on Feb, 18 2020 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

Oh, a false equivocacy.

posted on Feb, 18 2020 @ 06:46 PM
link   
For those of the conspiracy type mind, I remember somewhere that Blago was really PO'd at Obama and had dirt on them he was willing to give out for the right price.

Of course I am sure I read that on some conspiracy site so take it with a grain of salt.

posted on Feb, 18 2020 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Oh, a false equivocacy.

Huh? Did you see that term on a website somewhere and say, "Hey I gotta use that on ATS"?

The central tenant of justice is that the sentence should be proportionate to the crime. A non-violent offense that hurt nobody in no way deserves a decade and a half in prison. Especially when many, many people who did hurt someone don't get a sentence nearly as long as that.

posted on Feb, 18 2020 @ 06:52 PM
link   

I have no issue with pardoning Milken. He's served his time and, being honest here, I can't say I particularly give a rat's ass about federal SEC violations, as it seems like all the high dollar traders skirt the rules, it's just a handful who piss off the wrong person and are brought to trial for it.

I don't get pardoning Blagojevich at all, though. Dude's a piece of crap who didn't deserve a pardon.

posted on Feb, 18 2020 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Because the most corrupt president and administration in US history LOVES corruption.

Especially if it's his "type" of corruption (tax fraud, extortion, bribery, etc).

Kind of telling and ironic that Rod was basically convicted of an illegal and political quid pro quo. Trump LOVES a quid pro quo!
edit on 18-2-2020 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2020 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
...this is actually a 42D chess move that will ultimately spell the end of every liberal in the world.

100%.

He's gonna grant clemency to every political scumbag in or about to be in the system and send them all to San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago and Seattle.

Maybe he's trying the Bane strategy from Dark Knight Rises. Crack open Blackgate and let the oppressed take out those who oppressed them?

posted on Feb, 18 2020 @ 06:58 PM
link   

lol. It looks like Trump got good info from Blagojevich to grant him clemency. I wonder what he told Trump about his deal with Obama?

posted on Feb, 18 2020 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Term of the day desktop calendar?

posted on Feb, 18 2020 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan
Huh? Did you see that term on a website somewhere and say, "Hey I gotta use that on ATS"?

No, I'm a very stable genius and I know a lot of big person expressions.

The central tenant of justice is that the sentence should be proportionate to the crime.

Then take that up with your lawmakers. Blogtardovich broke the law when those were the sentencing guidelines and he should do the time. Unless he wasn't guilty and there's exculpatory evidence that proves this.

posted on Feb, 18 2020 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: highvein

lol. It looks like Trump got good info from Blagojevich to grant him clemency. I wonder what he told Trump about his deal with Obama?

This. More than likely.

posted on Feb, 18 2020 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
Maybe he's trying the Bane strategy from Dark Knight Rises. Crack open Blackgate and let the oppressed take out those who oppressed them?

If Bloggy was put in charge I'd let Miranda stab me too.

posted on Feb, 18 2020 @ 07:04 PM
link   

I don't like it. Even if the sentence was a bit harsh.

posted on Feb, 18 2020 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I don't know these people, but it is the right of the president to pardon people he wants to pardon. I did not agree with Obama's or other people's pardons either. If any of us got thrown in prison, I doubt if a president would pardon us.

posted on Feb, 18 2020 @ 07:14 PM
link   

A guy who sold junk bonds, and was of the ilk who helped set the stage for 08' gets a pass.

I don't see how this is draining the swamp... More like finding one of the few times we actually got a creature and let them loose again. How many people watched retirements crumble. Sure things have bounced back for many, but how many got part time jobs in retirement because greedy assholes not satisfied with just millions.

Id hardly say the crimes were victimless.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join