It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Peeved

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I would like some opinions on this one before I make up my mind that my anger is justified.

I submitted a news story about some people getting busted for hosting pirated software and Dvd's. In the subject line I put "Warez Site 0wned". It got rejected for gramatics because I used a zero in place of the "o". Someone please tell me whomever decided I miss spelled Owned has been living under a rock for the past 5 years and just got their computer for Christmas.

Anyone who has navigated through the vast World Wide Web, has at some point ran into 133t |-|@|< 0r speak. By me placing a zero in the subject, directly relates to the topic at hand and gives the subject flair.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 07:16 AM
link   
People are required to speak using proper english here, not in hax0r. It's seen more as a curtosy than a rule so you'll probably get away with it on the board.

However, for ATSNN it is a rule that you use proper English. It's stated in the Rules and Guidelines for ATSNN so you've got no room to complain really, although I could see what you were trying to do.

[edit on 10-3-2005 by John Nada]

link   
I thought it was pwn3d
just kidding there rancid, sorry bout your predicament, I understand what you were meaning, it would have got my attention.

link   
We've had a general distates for "|33+" speak in the forums for quite some time.

This important notice is part of the ATSNN submission form:
"Grammatical Quality
The vast majority of our audience is english-speaking nations. Therefore, we must insist on generally accepted style, syntax, grammar, and spelling of either American English or U.K. English. Submissions with poor writing quality will not be upgraded."

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I wouldn't be angry. You appreciate your cleverness, you know other's do, I even do as it relates to the subject matter, but editors don't have to. That's the real world.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 07:28 AM
link   
SO it's your board and you do with it what you want.
And, I do understand your point of view.

I am also well aware of the importance of correct grammer when it comes to the news submission, I was doing just what RANT said "being clever" and grabbing the attention of the reader.

Hmmmm wonder if Wired magazine would of corrected that?

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 07:28 AM
link   
rancid1, it was i who questioned the grammar in your ATSNN sub'.

Sanc'.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 07:31 AM
link   
being that I am not as internet or tech savvy as some here, I would have thought that you made an error and wouldn't think of it as being clever, but that's just my opinion. I just wanted to you know that not everyone would have caught your cleverness as you would like to put it.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 07:34 AM
link   
my name is zero zero pee ess but nobody catches it, they just call me oops

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 07:39 AM
link   
btw I would have voted YES for your article if you didn't leave this in

edit> I had to take the hacker "jargen" out of the subject. I guess whomever decided that it wasn't spelled right isn't computer litterate

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by 00PS

your stealth has captured my gratitude!!!

"You have voted 00PS for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month."

big respect to yourself! NAUGHT-NAUGHT-PEE-EES

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
btw I would have voted YES for your article if you didn't leave this in

edit> I had to take the hacker "jargen" out of the subject. I guess whomever decided that it wasn't spelled right isn't computer litterate

worldwatcher,
Yes, that was knee jerk from me. I'm going to fix that. I made that edit then came over here to write this.
must count to ten before making rash statements

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Klepto

Originally posted by 00PS

your stealth has captured my gratitude!!!

"You have voted 00PS for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month."

big respect to yourself! NAUGHT-NAUGHT-PEE-EES

*** Bow Bow *** I think that's the first time I've ever got that!!! thanks!!

I'm going to make this my new signature LOL

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
being that I am not as internet or tech savvy as some here, I would have thought that you made an error and wouldn't think of it as being clever, but that's just my opinion.

I'm fairly Tech savvy.....I would of just dismissed it as a kid fooling around, and probably not even opened. I know that there are plenty of kids that type that way with an extremely high IQ and on top of things (one of my own kids types that way and he is extremely intelligent and in the know) but I know many more that are just silly, or trying to be in a current fad, or blaa, blaa, blaa.....many people do not open such a thread at all.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   
You can always correct and resubmit...

PS-Ming just rules Mongo now? I knew it was the capitol, but Ming is Emperor of the Universe! He simply delegates minor planets like Arboria, Earth, etc. to be ruled by underlings....

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I understand what you were trying to do by making the title not only more interesting, but cleverly linked with the topic. I would have checked out the story, primarily because your wit in the title might promise a good read.

That being said, you have to consider the reader base. If that headline was in a computer magazine, then it would be acceptable. If it was in a business magazine, it would not be printed that way because the majority of readers would not understand the reference and would see it as a typo, particularly since the zero key is right above the "o" key. Where does ATSNN fit in this scale? That's difficult to say, but admittedly you have to understand a little about computers to access it, and the majority of ATS users are fairly computer-savvy. If you had the opportinity to use graphics in the title and the intention was more obvious, then maybe it would be fine. Also, the story was not specifically about h4x0rz typing habits itself, so if it got through, there's the danger of a precedent being set and every story concerning computers, illegal file-sharing or hackers having the same typing style.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 01:47 AM
link   
You spelled it wrong ...

Everyone knows the spelling is 'pwned'

top topics

join