It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why should humans go to Mars when AOC and most liberals blame humans for ruining Earth?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: The2Billies

Yes, we most certainly should go to Mars.

Sounds like the old Ehrlich nonsense popping up it's stupid head again. That crap may be like a magnet for depressed and suicidal people, but it's still crap. The predictions in the late 1960s were so wrong as to be laughable and it's no different now. There seems to be a thankfully small group of people who spend their lives with nothing but negative thoughts and suicidal tendencies. Sadly some of them have status in academia, so their nonsense continues.

Population growth, on it's own, is steadily declining. It's a self correcting problem.

Education is the answer, not voluntary extinction. Unless nature throws us a curve ball, we are just getting started. Mars is just another step on our journey.

As the world becomes more and more like America, the population boom will stop, just as it has here where the population would be declining were it not for immigration.

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 02:42 PM
link   
originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: lostbook

You mean viruses literally evolved because of humans? There were never, ever any viruses before now because we're destroying the planet?

Viruses are kept in check because of cold weather. The warming environment doesn't help. It's happened before. Man is accelerating the process now.

Glaciers never melted before now?

It's happened before. Man is accelerating the process now.

There were never, ever any coastal floods?! Why are there so many ruins under the water then?
If species never went extinct, why aren't there any dinosaurs or megalodons or trilobytes? I think it'd be neat to see one of those giant water scorpions where are they? Did my SUV back murder them through time?

It's happened before. Man is accelerating the process now.

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 02:44 PM
link   

any proof of that?

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: toolgal462

Yeah...in science fiction...

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

Yeah...in science fiction...

Yep, and this thread is pretty much SciFi, isn't it?

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 04:42 PM
link   

And you know this ... how? Because some guys with a computer model told you so?

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: toolgal462
a reply to: dug88

Ever heard of terraforming?

Ever heard of Dyson spheres?

Because something might theoretically be possible, doesn't mean it can be achieved within the next thousand years.

Besides, an earth-like atmosphere on Mars would be lost to space faster than it could be generated, because of the lower gravity and lack of magnetosphere.

Meantime, it might be prudent to look after our planet. Then, who knows what we could achieve?
edit on 17-2-2020 by EvilAxis because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: toolgal462

If what you say is true why do Dems want my money via "carbon taxes"?

I don't agree with carbon taxes. Democrats aren't trying to really solve the problem either.
edit on 17-2-2020 by lostbook because: word change

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 05:21 PM
link   

AOC and the like are ignorant,low iQ MORONS
Why should anyone listen to them ?

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

Ocasio-Cortez graduated cum laude from Boston University College of Arts and Sciences with a BA in 2011, majoring in international relations and economics."

I.E. Basket Weaving.

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I thought it was about the idea that spending money on space was somehow worthwhile and the only people that think otherwise are apparently american Democrats.

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 06:44 PM
link   

If one is for human extinction as a policy

Wait. What?
Did you visit your Green Dealer again or what exactly is it, that you're smoking?

Believe it or not, this idea is spreading among the intelligentsia, liberals, leftists who view the mass of humanity as ignorant polluters and destroyers of Mother Earth.

That's Fukushima's fault. Could be the bees tho. I guess you'll have to read Bakedbeart Bollocks all day long in order to avoid reality crushing your belief system with actual data.

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 07:21 PM
link   
1) Dyson spheres are so 1979. Dyson swarms are where it's at.

2) 1000 was a long time before we invented microprocessors. It is an impossibly long time now that we are reaping the compound interest from the technology.

3) The first thing Mars needs is an atmosphere. Pumping greenhouse gasses into it on an industrial level would warm the planet nicely. The lower gravity is a concern of course. We know that no gravity is bad for the human body, but we have yet to fully study the effects of low gravity so we don't know where the threshold is. Mars may have plenty.

The magnetosphere is an engineering problem. In principle, there is no reason by we can't place a magnetic dipole shield at the Mars L1 Lagrange Point, shielding the whole planet.

4) We should look after our home planet and move out into the inner solar system. Keeping all our horses in a single barn is a recipe for a total loss.

(Bonus lightning round) In principle, there is nothing stopping us from cooling Venus using a similar "shield" + large solar shade, for example. Engineers > pessimists.
edit on 17-2-2020 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Let me see ...

It appears me choices are to try to expand outward off earth and thus possibly help solve its problems through overcoming the massive engineering challenges of space exploration and colonization.

Or ...

I can sit around with a bunch of mopey academics cooking up a plan to humanely euthanize a bunch of others we deem to be "useless eaters" for the greater which may or may not solve anything.

There is a reason why Thanos is a villain.

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Sounds good to me. If it were somehow possible to get everyone on board we could all do a one child policy and reduce the human population which causes massive pollution.

But it's a utopian idea that would require human beings to all work together.

Humanity are ignorant pollutors of mother earth and that's not some liberal outlandish ideas. Look at the texas size plastic in the ocean.

I don't believe we should stop space exploration as that will lead to scientific advances, but we have to stop ignoring pollution!

I really don't understand why this is a liberal idea to do something about pollution.. Simple things like one-use plastics can be banned and that would go a long way..

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Exvept there are many things we can do to reduce pollution without resorting to drastic population reduction ideas that will never happen!

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12

Exvept there are many things we can do to reduce pollution without resorting to drastic population reduction ideas that will never happen!

Those ideas will never happen because the people in power who say it's so important are only interested in one solution:

1. Tax everyone more. Take more dictatorial control.

2. ??????

3. Planet saved!

There is no solution. They don't care really. All they want is more money for them and more power to control how the rest of us live. Saving the planet is just the latest scam they're running to try to take that money and power for themselves.

posted on Feb, 18 2020 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Amen!

To your final point on this page: there must be something intrinsic in the love of money and power at this level that makes leaders (mostly) rotten. I can't quite put my finger on it. Where have we heard this warning before, I wonder?

(in all seriousness, brilliant posts! Thank you!)

posted on Feb, 18 2020 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Actually earth's populaltion has nearly peaked.

All industrialized countries, first world countries are having a negative birth rate (i.e. more people are dying than being born) That is one of the reasons the first world political leaders are actively stealing young adults of working age from poor countries (mass immigration) This is being done to prop up social security to care for the elderly.

It is predicted that since the birth rate has been declining steadily, if this continues, the earth will begin to decline in population, some say within 20-30 years, others say within 80 years. www.irishtimes.com...

www.pewresearch.org...

The global fertility rate is expected to be 1.9 births per woman by 2100, down from 2.5 today. The rate is projected to fall below the replacement fertility rate (2.1 births per woman) by 2070. The replacement fertility rate is the number of births per woman needed to maintain a population’s size.

The world’s median age is expected to increase to 42 in 2100, up from the current 31 – and from 24 in 1950. Between 2020 and 2100, the number of people ages 80 and older is expected to increase from 146 million to 881 million. Starting in 2073, there are projected to be more people ages 65 and older than under age 15 – the first time this will be the case. Contributing factors to the rise in the median age are the increase in life expectancy and falling fertility rates.
(This analysis uses regional classifications from the UN and may differ from other Pew Research Center reports.)

The US is already below replacement rate, again,a which is why politicians feel we need as many immigrants as we can get or there won't be enough taxes to support the current budgetary needs. This will leave poor countries (of which, except for Africa, are soon to have below replacement birth rate themselves, leaving these poor countries in even worse shape, because the US has stolen their young workers. www.cnn.com...

As of right now half the world has below replacement rate birth levels. Meaning half the countries in the world are already entering human extinction phase, rather than overpopulation.

ifstudies.org...
replacement rate is 2.1

So you need not worry, it may be within your lifetime the entire world will be depopulating without anyone doing anything about it. It is happening naturally. Definitely within your lifetime more places will be like Japan with many empty villages and small towns dotting the nation because of a lack of people to fill them.

If you feel this "political crap is destroying ATS", then why on earth are you reading it? It is your choice to go into the political mud-pit. There are lots of forums I don't ever read for one reason or another. Why upset yourself by going into political forums if it makes you angry and upset?

edit on 2/18/20 by The2Billies because: added chart

posted on Feb, 18 2020 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: oloufo

The examples that you would accept I can not post here. I don't know how to take a clip of a show from Netflix and paste it into here. That would be the only way, because then I could discuss the clip to make the point you are demanding I make.

If you are liberal you would never have noticed the propaganda, because to you it is not propaganda, it is all truth and they aren't preaching to the viewers, but from your point of view it is simply telling the truth. Only people who disagree with what they are saying, and can see how they are stretching the truth to fit the propaganda disguised as absolute truth.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join