It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why should humans go to Mars when AOC and most liberals blame humans for ruining Earth?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 09:24 AM
link   
(D) AO Cortez said people should not have children beacuse humans are destroying the planet.
www.newsweek.com...

"There's scientific consensus that the lives of children are going to be very difficult. And it does lead young people to have a legitimate question: Is it OK to still have children?" she asked.

It isn't just Cortez, it is many of prominent global warming "climate change" proponents who feel humans are a scourge upon the earth.

www.breitbart.com...

“The manifesto simply asks that humans no longer reproduce – no life is lost, no being is mourned,” she states. “If we no longer reproduce, we can care for all inhabitants already here, human and non-human, as well as care for the Earth itself by mitigating the damage already caused. It’s an activism of care.”

This movement openly states humans ruined the planet and the only way to save it is through voluntary human extinction.

So shouldn't we abandon the idea of going to Mars or colonizing another planet? Should humanity go extinct?

(D) Northam Governor of Virginia said the bill VA passed under his administration allows infants to be born and placed on a cold tray while parents and doctors debate weather it should be allowed to live or not, even if the infant is healthy may be an offshoot of the idea that humanity has no humanity left in it and destroys everything it touches.

There is even a well organized and funded group that promotes this very progressive/liberal idea. vhemt.org...

Phasing out the human race by voluntarily ceasing to breed will allow Earth’s biosphere to return to good health. Crowded conditions and resource shortages will improve as we become less dense.

Of course not realizing that as people die off so will the people who support infrastructure (electricity/water/grow food) and nurses and doctors will die off also. But I suppose that humanity deserves to become extinct in misery because as the VHEMT says humans are parasites on earth.

Is it not a logical extension that humanity must not be allowed to spread or flourish within the solar system, let alone among the stars?

Believe it or not, this idea is spreading among the intelligentsia, liberals, leftists who view the mass of humanity as ignorant polluters and destroyers of Mother Earth.

There is even a Facebook page dedicated to spreading human extinction: www.facebook.com...

Will this idea become slowly mainstream, especially within groups who blame humans for every wildfire/hurricaine/tornado/and destructive storm.

If one is for human extinction as a policy, should one be completely against space exploration?

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Because she isn't invited?

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Because they are wrong?

Sounds like a good answer to me.

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: The2Billies

There are not going to be enough people going to Mars to even effect world population.

Those people will die an early death on Mars too but that's irrelevant.

No about aoc.....
She's a bartender propped up by her handlers and is not the brightest bulb on the tree.
Hopefully her supporters will figure that out.

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 09:48 AM
link   

In all seriousness, you ask a really important question, with or without the inner solar system colonization bit. Either you are pro-your-own-species or you're not, right? These people want to commit economic and/or literal species suicide because they don't know anything about being "people." At all.

People have been driving the human race forward for almost a million years. We out-competed every other hominid and became the dominant tool-using species on the planet for a reason. The arc of the moral universe is long but so is the arc of the living self-aware universe. Things are better than they have ever been in far more ways than they are not.

Our job is not to give up at the end and roll over to entropy. Our job is to stay one step ahead of extinction by hook or crook, using the "tools" that set us apart (and made us winners) in the first place.

The human extinction movement is a joke. These people are not serious people. They don't deserve to be taken any more seriously than is required to let them die off from their own recessive imaginations.

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 09:48 AM
link   
In this specifiic instance, she is correct. Humans are ruining the planet. Animals dont buy cheap chinese plastic toys and then chuck em in the ocean....or send them to 3rd world countries to dump in a hole.

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 09:52 AM
link   

if we can terraform mars...we should be able to fix what's wrong here....unless our fate has something to do with earth cycles..then we are really screwed..

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 10:07 AM
link   
The idea goes more like this:

(1) we and/or our ancestors are ruining Earth actively.
(2) we accept this truth.
(3) we have to find a way out of this.
(4) as long as we avoid making the same old mistake by using more per year than can be replenished by nature in a year, we might make it.
(5) if we go to Mars (on a large scale), we might have the time to figure out how to repair Earth.

Step 5 is not a way "out of this disaster", but a way to find another semi-attractive home until we rebuilt our current one.

And AOC:
"Ocasio-Cortez attended Yorktown High School, graduating in 2007. She came in second in the Microbiology category of the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair with a microbiology research project on the effect of antioxidants on the lifespan of the nematode C. elegans. In a show of appreciation for her efforts, the MIT Lincoln Laboratory named a small asteroid after her: 23238 Ocasio-Cortez. In high school, she took part in the National Hispanic Institute's Lorenzo de Zavala (LDZ) Youth Legislative Session. She later became the LDZ Secretary of State while she attended Boston University. Ocasio-Cortez had a John F. Lopez Fellowship.

In 2008, while Ocasio-Cortez was a sophomore at Boston University, her father died of lung cancer. Ocasio-Cortez became involved in a lengthy probate battle to settle his estate. She has said that the experience helped her learn "firsthand how attorneys appointed by the court to administer an estate can enrich themselves at the expense of the families struggling to make sense of the bureaucracy".

During college, Ocasio-Cortez served as an intern for U.S. Senator Ted Kennedy, in his section on foreign affairs and immigration issues. She recalled, "I was the only Spanish speaker, and as a result, as basically a kid—a 19-, 20-year-old kid—whenever a frantic call would come into the office because someone is looking for their husband because they have been snatched off the street by ICE, I was the one that had to pick up that phone. I was the one that had to help that person navigate that system."

Ocasio-Cortez graduated cum laude from Boston University College of Arts and Sciences with a BA in 2011, majoring in international relations and economics."

After college, Ocasio-Cortez moved back to the Bronx and took a job as a bartender and waitress to help her mother—a house cleaner and school bus driver—fight foreclosure of their home."

--- all of that should be the the wet dream of a Republican, making your own way from dishwasher to (nearly?) millionaire.

Not like some buffon who played with daddy's money and lost it all. Repeatedly.
edit on 17 2 2020 by ManFromEurope because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: 0zzymand0s

In all seriousness, you ask a really important question, with or without the inner solar system colonization bit. Either you are pro-your-own-species or you're not, right? These people want to commit economic and/or literal species suicide because they don't know anything about being "people." At all.

People have been driving the human race forward for almost a million years. We out-competed every other hominid and became the dominant tool-using species on the planet for a reason. The arc of the moral universe is long but so is the arc of the living self-aware universe. Things are better than they have ever been in far more ways than they are not.

Our job is not to give up at the end and roll over to entropy. Our job is to stay one step ahead of extinction by hook or crook, using the "tools" that set us apart (and made us winners) in the first place.

The human extinction movement is a joke. These people are not serious people. They don't deserve to be taken any more seriously than is required to let them die off from their own recessive imaginations.

I agree with you wholly with the exception of taking these people seriously. These people should be taken very seriously because if or when they get power they will try to force their ideas into practice and bring a dark age the likes that have never been seen. It would be like making a 5 year old child the head of a household.

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: chrismarco

Warming and cooling planets are engineering problems. In principle at least we are already pretty good at the first. The second is more a question of math and resource allocation than anything else.
edit on 17-2-2020 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

I've heard her speak.
There is a reason she was a bartender.

I know a janitor with a geology degree from Notre Dame.

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 10:35 AM
link   
i seriously doubt most humans care enough to follow such people into extinction, if they follow such a path it just means an end to people like them down the line, that they weren't fit for survival and were an evolutionary dead end.

one day one way or another earth will be destroyed, either by us or by natural means and it's foolish to doom ourselves over a temporary home, as long as we advance far enough we will find many new earths to settle on or even create new earths or even live in giant artificial structures that simulate earth.

besides as china has shown, population control doesn't work no matter what you try short of genocide.

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 10:49 AM
link   
We only got 6 years left until extinction anyway remember?

She said that last year so we're down to 5 now.

Maybe we can write a check to Gretchen what's her name and the gun control kid to save the world though.

Let's get a solar power kid to go on the news too. I might actually give some money to solar power kid now that I think about it.

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

The major theory I see emerging from the human extinction movement is:

1. Most humans are so ignorant they "destroyed" earth.

2. Humans are life sucking parasites on Mother Earth.

3. The only way to save earth is to remove ALL humans (through extinction)

So why send such a destructive species to another planet.

If the extinction movement is correct humans haven't learned a thing so far on earth, human parasites will inevitably ruin whatever environment they move to.

The human extinction movement is founded on the idea that there is nothing, not one thing, humans can do to "save" the earth and so the entire species must be destroyed to "save" the planet.

The movement also says humans are incapable of making things better on earth, and so must become extinct.

Basically the movement compares humanity to life sucking parasites that kill the host.

So wouldn't sending a colony to Mars be sending parasites to kill another host?

Also, you spent a lot of energy proving AOC is a highly evolved human with a superior intelligence, unlike the masses of human parasites on earth. I never questioned her intelligence, interesting you choose to spend most of your post saying how supremely intelligent AOC is. It's okay, but not necessary since I never mentioned her intelligence and wrote about her briefly in the OP.

I looked back to double check: I saw AOC was mentioned in less than 1/4 of my OP, but you spent 3/4 of your reply on how intellectually superior AOC is compared to the rest of humanity. Okay, if you have that need.

Just an FYI: This human parasite spent many years teaching other parasites in a major State University. What would I know about anything compared to the supremely intelligent AOC who is intellectually superior to the rest of humanity? (smirk)

Personally, I think the human extinction movement is encouraging a form of global suicide.
Ironically, by the exact people who become apoplectic at the thought of a species of tiny fish going extinct and who have mass efforts to save the (name the mammal/bug/or fish) ..... while demanding the total extinction of one entire species of mammals.

edit on 2/17/20 by The2Billies because: addition formatting

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 11:24 AM
link   
They way I look at it.

There are some significant challenges that come with colonizing Mars. Solving those problems would be back-engineered and allow us to solve some of the challenges facing our planet. For one thing, we would need to solve the energy problem. There are no fossil fuels on Mars, so we would have to come up with a non-fossil fuel energy solution that is at least as reliable and efficient and safe as any fossil fuel to allow the colonization of Mars.

Not to mention anything for space travel to allow it to become feasible and efficient on a time-scale that makes Earth-Mars transport timely.

Then you are talking about a planet that has very little of an environment to really mess up. We could begin by exporting a lot of our heavy mining to Mars and the Moon potentially. That removes a lot of the need to endanger Earth's environment for those things.

Learn how to live on and travel easily to and from Mars and you could conceivably start to mine asteroids too. Again, you are removing the need for doing those things on Earth and sparing its environment.

All of the technological challenges could spark another round of creativity on earth like the moonshots did further opening up now avenues to explore for humanity. That could help us clean up our environment on Earth even further and possibly allow terraforming and even more expansion into our neighboring spaces in the solar system for other things that we would no longer need to get from Earth in dirty, damaging processes.

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope

(4) as long as we avoid making the same old mistake by using more per year than can be replenished by nature in a year, we might make it.
(5) if we go to Mars (on a large scale), we might have the time to figure out how to repair Earth.

Step 5 is not a way "out of this disaster", but a way to find another semi-attractive home until we rebuilt our current one.

And AOC:
"Ocasio-Cortez attended Yorktown High School, graduating in 2007. She came in second in the Microbiology category of the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair with a microbiology research project on the effect of antioxidants on the lifespan of the nematode C. elegans. In a show of appreciation for her efforts, the MIT Lincoln Laboratory named a small asteroid after her: 23238 Ocasio-Cortez. In high school, she took part in the National Hispanic Institute's Lorenzo de Zavala (LDZ) Youth Legislative Session. She later became the LDZ Secretary of State while she attended Boston University. Ocasio-Cortez had a John F. Lopez Fellowship.

In 2008, while Ocasio-Cortez was a sophomore at Boston University, her father died of lung cancer. Ocasio-Cortez became involved in a lengthy probate battle to settle his estate. She has said that the experience helped her learn "firsthand how attorneys appointed by the court to administer an estate can enrich themselves at the expense of the families struggling to make sense of the bureaucracy".

During college, Ocasio-Cortez served as an intern for U.S. Senator Ted Kennedy, in his section on foreign affairs and immigration issues. She recalled, "I was the only Spanish speaker, and as a result, as basically a kid—a 19-, 20-year-old kid—whenever a frantic call would come into the office because someone is looking for their husband because they have been snatched off the street by ICE, I was the one that had to pick up that phone. I was the one that had to help that person navigate that system."

Ocasio-Cortez graduated cum laude from Boston University College of Arts and Sciences with a BA in 2011, majoring in international relations and economics."

After college, Ocasio-Cortez moved back to the Bronx and took a job as a bartender and waitress to help her mother—a house cleaner and school bus driver—fight foreclosure of their home."

--- all of that should be the the wet dream of a Republican, making your own way from dishwasher to (nearly?) millionaire.

Sounds like AOC is your wet dream.

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 11:27 AM
link   

we are poisoning the oceans, we are clearing the forests, we are destroying the habitat of animals, we are polluting the air, and on the side we are fighting senseless wars or let nuclear power plants explode. so of course we have an influence on planet earth. and because we are intelligent beings, we have realized that we have to change something. what this has to do with a possible colonization on mars is not clear to me. we are a curious species and we have learned that it is possible to live on other planets, so we try to achieve that. and at the same time we can adapt our living habits to the needs of our planet. your comment is absurd and it only serves to attack political dissidents.

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66

originally posted by: ManFromEurope

And AOC:

Sounds like AOC is your wet dream.

and yours is trump

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: oloufo

we are poisoning the oceans, we are clearing the forests, we are destroying the habitat of animals, we are polluting the air, and on the side we are fighting senseless wars or let nuclear power plants explode. so of course we have an influence on planet earth. and because we are intelligent beings, we have realized that we have to change something. what this has to do with a possible colonization on mars is not clear to me. we are a curious species and we have learned that it is possible to live on other planets, so we try to achieve that. and at the same time we can adapt our living habits to the needs of our planet. your comment is absurd and it only serves to attack political dissidents.

I have been watching the Netflix show MARS

In that series, there is a lot of presenting highly liberal/leftist views, in a way that I think demeans those who disagree with the liberal agenda

The show itself (when not engaged in propaganda) is very good (I just don't like the non-story 20 minute liberal politics disguised as presenting science). I've taken to FF past the propaganda to watch the actual story which is great.

I read something in the news that got me thinking and asking the question: Why would people who support human extinction as necessary for the survival of the planet, want to go to Mars or any other planet.

I think it is an interesting jumping off point for dialog and to stretch the mind.

edit on 2/17/20 by The2Billies because: grammar

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 12:10 PM
link   

1: Do you believe that the resources of the planet are infinite?

2. Have you heard of the Georgia Guide stones?

3. Do you believe that the suggestion to reduce the number of pregnancies, means total extinction?

4. Do you consider right-wing media such as Fox News and Breitbart, a good source of information about what their opponents say and do?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join