It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bloomberg Says ALL Farmers/Factory Workers Have Too Little "Grey Matter"

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I see more than Bloomberg has no clue about farmers or their workers.

Farmers rely on their farm workers eyes to know when something is off, which means they need to know a lot of the technical things a farmer knows so they can pass the information as needed.

just because they dont have a slip of paper that means little more than you can be taught now a days, does not mean they are not intelligent.

I did one of those rote jobs for the better part of two decades as an aircraft mechanic, also spent time as a flight engineer and will graduate with my masters in IT security management on Christmas eve.

So just because you have a rote job doesn't mean you cant regurgitate information out of a book to make a teacher happy.

Also just because you have a slip of paper saying you can be taught doesn't mean your smarter than those without, one of the first guys I worked with in the USAF couldn't tell the difference between a common and a Philips head but he had a degree... not to mention ask any enlisted guy in the army how smart their LT was.

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Christosterone

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: Graysen
a reply to: Edumakated

On the other hand, if you're running for president, you should probably be in the business of NOT saying things that are awkward when taken out of context.

Knowing that people are going to take your every word out of context and make it into an ironic bumper sticker, you should probably watch what you say.

Unless your plan is to troll the targets on purpose. Then its part of your nefarious plan.... (cue evil chuckles)

EDIT TO ADD:

You know, when I think about Trump, when he talks about average Americans, he is quite respectful of what they do for a living. If you notice him touring a factory, or an airbase, he tells the next audience what great people those were at the TRANE factory or the carpet mill or whatever. even senators

He said the comments in question in 2016.... he may not have known he was running at that point.

The problem is that if that is the standard, then no one will ever be able to run as any little thing they've said years or decades ago can be taken out of context and spun against them. This is the problem with gotcha politics and why normal people don't want to run as they don't want to subject themselves or family to that kind of scrutiny.

As a result of these unrealistic standards, the political class is full of two kinds of people. Narcissistic types with big egos and people who would never amount to anything in the private sector. No one with any kind of skills and real success wants anything to do with politics.

I have read you’re idiotic posts and am dumber because of it...
Though my family is a farming one so my plan II education must’ve been a fluke..as I don’t have the genetic predisposition toward the intellectual class as u so clearly do..
Honestly, u will probably have to google plan II because I doubt u have heard of it...which is not shocking based on the nature of ur posts...
200 out of 50k...it’s a stretch but I doubt u would’ve made the cut..

-Chris

Considering you have the reading comprehension of a 1st grader, your dumbness is in no way related to my posts. IF you had read my posts and actually COMPREHENDED what you read, you'd understand my position.

Let me try to dumb it down for the slow kids in class...

1) What Bloomberg said was factual. A TYPICAL farm worker or manufacturing worker is not usually as smart as a knowledge worker. To help some of you, TYPICAL means average. Most common. It does not mean ALL. Yes, there may be a farm worker or some guy driving bolts at a plant who would fit right in at MIT, but let's not kid ourselves.

2) The context in our current ECONOMY is that service oriented jobs with knowledge workers are more valuable. Sure, in the zombie apocalypse or EMP scenario the farm worker may be more valuable, but right now a farm hand is in no way generally as valuable in our current economic environment.

3) I clearly stated that Mini Mike's comments were condescending. I am not a Bloomberg supporter in any way (Trump 2020).

4) I am just illustrating that we on the right can be just as bad as spinning things out of context. We should hold ourselves to a higher standard than the left.

So to summarize, yes Bloomie was being an out of touch condescending douche with his comments. However, taken in context, the comments are factual.

It isn't my problem you are butt hurt.

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Food for thought..
Sweeping generalizations are almost always wrong.

That should be remembered..

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Wow. Bloomberg says in this video that blacks and Latinos don't know how to find jobs, and when they are given jobs, they don't know how to act in the workplace.

mobile.twitter.com...

This is the Democrats New Rising Star on his way to the party's nomination?

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Leftists, identity politics is inherently racist and sexist so it should come as no surprise that the left embraces a racist and sexist.

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 08:05 PM
link   

On the other hand, if you're running for president, you should probably be in the business of NOT saying things that are awkward when taken out of context.

Knowing that people are going to take your every word out of context and make it into an ironic bumper sticker, you should probably watch what you say.

Unless your plan is to troll the targets on purpose. Then its part of your nefarious plan.... (cue evil chuckles)

EDIT TO ADD:

You know, when I think about Trump, when he talks about average Americans, he is quite respectful of what they do for a living. If you notice him touring a factory, or an airbase, he tells the next audience what great people those were at the TRANE factory or the carpet mill or whatever. even senators

He said the comments in question in 2016.... he may not have known he was running at that point.

The problem is that if that is the standard, then no one will ever be able to run as any little thing they've said years or decades ago can be taken out of context and spun against them. This is the problem with gotcha politics and why normal people don't want to run as they don't want to subject themselves or family to that kind of scrutiny.

As a result of these unrealistic standards, the political class is full of two kinds of people. Narcissistic types with big egos and people who would never amount to anything in the private sector. No one with any kind of skills and real success wants anything to do with politics.

Though my family is a farming one so my plan II education must’ve been a fluke..as I don’t have the genetic predisposition toward the intellectual class as u so clearly do..
Honestly, u will probably have to google plan II because I doubt u have heard of it...which is not shocking based on the nature of ur posts...

-Chris

Considering you have the reading comprehension of a 1st grader, your dumbness is in no way related to my posts. IF you had read my posts and actually COMPREHENDED what you read, you'd understand my position.

1) What Bloomberg said was factual. A TYPICAL farm worker or manufacturing worker is not usually as smart as a knowledge worker. To help some of you, TYPICAL means average. Most common. It does not mean ALL. Yes, there may be a farm worker or some guy driving bolts at a plant who would fit right in at MIT, but let's not kid ourselves.

2) The context in our current ECONOMY is that service oriented jobs with knowledge workers are more valuable. Sure, in the zombie apocalypse or EMP scenario the farm worker may be more valuable, but right now a farm hand is in no way generally as valuable in our current economic environment.

3) I clearly stated that Mini Mike's comments were condescending. I am not a Bloomberg supporter in any way (Trump 2020).

4) I am just illustrating that we on the right can be just as bad as spinning things out of context. We should hold ourselves to a higher standard than the left.

So to summarize, yes Bloomie was being an out of touch condescending douche with his comments. However, taken in context, the comments are factual.

Wow...you’re priceless

-chris

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 08:16 PM
link   

EDIT TO ADD:

-Chris

Although I guess the fact that I’m debating with somebody like you does make me dumb...

I do use speech to text so my posts are generally streams of thought and the iPad can’t understand my hick accent so it makes a lot of homonym errors…

But Jesus, you are a fool....and I the greater fool for arguing with you...

As a sidenote, the amount of information you DON’T know about farming so extreme I wouldn’t know where to begin…
Somebody like you would have no concept of the algorithms and forecasting a modern farmer is required to Undertake...

It’s stunning how obtuse you are [based on your posts which try so hard to sound smart]...and all the more stunning I’m reacting to them…
But I am the proud descendent Of farmers and fools like you are irksome

Normally I am not so riled by idiocy...but your idiocy coupled with so much unwarranted arrogance is mind bottling...

-Chris
edit on 17-2-2020 by Christosterone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 08:44 PM
link   

EDIT TO ADD:

-Chris

Wow...you’re priceless

-chris

Edu and I seldom see eye to eye on much, but I think you're missing the entire forest here in favor of confused outrage. If we're to think of the most banal manufacturing & harvesting tasks & the people who do them as those industries' versions of burger flipping, which has little to no respect as something worth doing for a living, then Edu IS NOT WRONG in his assessment. If we're going to be bluntly honest, virtually every industry has jobs that are so banal a mentally handicapped monkey could do it. Why are you getting your nose bent out of shape over that being pointed out?

People need to really untangle themselves from the emotional s# that has no merit regarding the comments given and learn to read objectively. I have to point out, as the kid of a farmer, that if you're taking Edu's point so personally, you might be seeing something close to your own truth in it and feeling a little self-reminder of it. Projecting, in other words. Try not doing that, and just be objective -- it won't kill you.

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

EDIT TO ADD:

-Chris

Wow...you’re priceless

-chris

Edu and I seldom see eye to eye on much, but I think you're missing the entire forest here in favor of confused outrage. If we're to think of the most banal manufacturing & harvesting tasks & the people who do them as those industries' versions of burger flipping, which has little to no respect as something worth doing for a living, then Edu IS NOT WRONG in his assessment. If we're going to be bluntly honest, virtually every industry has jobs that are so banal a mentally handicapped monkey could do it. Why are you getting your nose bent out of shape over that being pointed out?

People need to really untangle themselves from the emotional s# that has no merit regarding the comments given and learn to read objectively. I have to point out, as the kid of a farmer, that if you're taking Edu's point so personally, you might be seeing something close to your own truth in it and feeling a little self-reminder of it. Projecting, in other words. Try not doing that, and just be objective -- it won't kill you.

He is wrong.
The amount of arrogance he displays is maddening.
Of course it’s personal… A qualified every statement with the fact that I was biased because of my lineage…
Taking personal offense Does not invalidate one’s argument…

What he is saying is patently wrong...and stunningly elitist...
And I would bet he knows zero farmers…
I know hundreds, possibly thousand if you count kids...

Again, I would bet he knows zero actual farmers...
And I would guess u don’t know many either...

-Chris

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 09:05 PM
link   

EDIT TO ADD:

-Chris

Wow...you’re priceless

-chris

He is wrong.
Of course it’s personal… A qualified every statement with the fact that I was biased because of my lineage…

-Chris

My dad is nearly 80, and still farms in his retirement for something useful to do with his time. Gets his hands literally dirty from tilling to planting, and doesn't even skip the harvesting by hand, either. His views on modern farming would NOT make you very happy -- he thinks modern farmers rely far too much on easy machinery and max output instead of hard work and quality crops. Are you going to tell someone with decades more nitty gritty experience than you what to think, or is he entitled to his point of view, too?

You really need to settle down and think before you moan and groan. Edu is not being arrogant, he's being blunt. And so am I. There's a huge difference between saying "If all you're going to amount to is picking crops, you're a bunch of suck" and "There's some really low-skill work out there in farming". WHY can you not see that difference? Is it maybe because you personally don't see one? That says much more about you than the other person.
edit on 2/17/2020 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 09:21 PM
link   

EDIT TO ADD:

-Chris

Wow...you’re priceless

-chris

He is wrong.

-Chris

My dad is nearly 80, and still farms in his retirement for something useful to do with his time. Gets his hands literally dirty from tilling to planting, and doesn't even skip the harvesting by hand, either. His views on modern farming would NOT make you very happy -- he thinks modern farmers rely far too much on easy machinery and max output instead of hard work and quality crops. Are you going to tell someone with decades more nitty gritty experience than you what to think, or is he entitled to his point of view, too?

You really need to settle down and think before you moan and groan. Edu is not being arrogant, he's being blunt. And so am I. There's a huge difference between saying "If all you're going to amount to is picking crops, you're a bunch of suck" and "There's some really low-skill work out there in farming". WHY can you not see that difference? Is it maybe because you personally don't see one? That says much more about you than the other person.

I'm no farmer, but even I know "farms in his retirement for something useful to do with his time" is nowhere NEAR the level of industrial farming that is required to FEED the planet. Everyone on this planet depends upon farming. every single day. At that level of farming, you require that dependency upon machinery and modern AI prediction software and algorithms to predict yields and prevent famine.

In a similar vein, there are literally millions of hard working educated people on this planet that do the work of building and construction that those city dweller elites depend upon for their own living conditions.

Couple that with other millions of unskilled laborers that help support and enable each of those industries.

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa
I'm no farmer, but even I know "farms in his retirement for something useful to do with his time" is nowhere NEAR the level of industrial farming that is required to FEED the planet. Everyone on this planet depends upon farming. every single day. At that level of farming, you require that dependency upon machinery and modern AI prediction software and algorithms to predict yields and prevent famine.

In a similar vein, there are literally millions of hard working educated people on this planet that do the work of building and construction that those city dweller elites depend upon for their own living conditions.

Couple that with other millions of unskilled laborers that help support and enable each of those industries.

Not all of us rely on mega farms, that whole Buy Local thing is strong in many areas, including mine. But let's call that debate a draw for the sake of nobody's going to agree on squat no matter how we try to balance to argument field out.

However, you've left a wide open door for something else to be debated, since you've insinuated unskilled laborers deserve more kudos than they get.

When was the last time anyone didn't mock a food service worker or store cashier on here? What gets me is that demand that ONLY the farmers deserve kudos. Not the shippers. Not the packers. Not the store employees that handle and sell their goods. Not the restaurant workers than prep and cook it. JUST the farmers deserve that respect.

It's a bit twisted, and self-centered. Even my dad, back in his farming heyday, never looked down on the stores & restaurants he sold to, because they EACH needed each other to make money and he respected that. What the hell happened to those old farmers like him?

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Not all of us rely on mega farms, that whole Buy Local thing is strong in many areas, including mine. But let's call that debate a draw for the sake of nobody's going to agree on squat no matter how we try to balance to argument field out.

However, you've left a wide open door for something else to be debated, since you've insinuated unskilled laborers deserve more kudos than they get.

When was the last time anyone didn't mock a food service worker or store cashier on here? What gets me is that demand that ONLY the farmers deserve kudos. Not the shippers. Not the packers. Not the store employees that handle and sell their goods. Not the restaurant workers than prep and cook it. JUST the farmers deserve that respect.

It's a bit twisted, and self-centered. Even my dad, back in his farming heyday, never looked down on the stores & restaurants he sold to, because they EACH needed each other to make money and he respected that. What the hell happened to those old farmers like him?

Which all drives home the point that Bloomberg is a totally elitist without any clue how the real world works. And, his followers drink up that elitism while simultaneously deriding those same elitist as the root of all their problems.

So, who is more intelligent now?

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Which all drives home the point that Bloomberg is a totally elitist without any clue how the real world works. And, his followers drink up that elitism while simultaneously deriding those same elitist as the root of all their problems.

So, who is more intelligent now?

EXACTLY. Neither Edu nor I were refuting that at ALL. Bloomberg is as disconnected from reality as any other ultra wealthy Paris Hilton-wannabe idiot out there is. This is both not a shocker, and not unexpected. The richer one gets, the further they are from everyday reality. It's a given.

The bone that was picked in this thread was the notion that there's borderline skill-less work out there and that the lowest people on the ladders tend to do that work. It's not false, it's just as true that you'd have someone barely functional in the belfry picking apples as it is true a McDonald's would have someone barely functioning in the same belfry working the fryer. It's not knocking the entire farming industry any more than the entire fast food industry. It's just a simple observation with considerable truth backing it. Where Bloomberg went wrong trying to point it out is the total lack of clarity of what he meant, and smug attitude. Both of those can change the entire meaning of a statement.

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Some people can't seem to understand the difference between owning a McDonalds and the worker who drops the fries.

No one would argue the average fry cook is a genius. Yet now we are supposed to accept Juan picking strawberries is on his way to the Ivy League.

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 10:48 PM
link   

a reply to: Nyiah

Some people can't seem to understand the difference between owning a McDonalds and the worker who drops the fries.

No one would argue the average fry cook is a genius. Yet now we are supposed to accept Juan picking strawberries is on his way to the Ivy League.

Have either of you actually heard/read what Bloomy actually stated? It was not a general statement aimed at the lesser skilled labor in a particular field. From the article, and other sources (including video of him saying it).....

“You dig a hole, you put a seed in, you put dirt on top, add water, up comes the corn,” he said.

He spoke similarly of factory jobs as mechanical repetition requiring no brain power.

“You put the piece of metal in the lathe, you turn the crank in the direction of the arrow, and you can have a job,” he continued.

Tell me he doesn't see all jobs in agro or blue-collar field to be unskilled.

Farming, industrial farming is a LOT more complex than his ideas here.

Being a machinist is a LOT more complex than his idea here.

It's equally as uniformed a statement as telling coal miners to "just learn to code".

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

That is exactly what he is talking about... general low skilled labor that is process oriented. You guys are over thinking it and just butt hurt he used farmers as an example.

Again, yes there are farmers who run complex operations. That isn't the point. He is talking about WORKERS who are doing rote jobs where someone can be easily trained to do the job.

No, he isn't necessarily talking about a master machinist.

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 11:27 PM
link   
It is like this...

Bloomie says restaurant workers aren't that bright. Now here come people saying "Well, I own 15 McDonald's restaurants!" That isn't what he is saying. He is saying a typical waiter, bus boy, cashier, etc aren't usually on the same level as a knowledge worker academically / intellectually.

This is not to say there isn't some Ph.D waiter or some cashier finishing up their masters. However, ON AVERAGE, the typical restaurant worker is not as bright. In addition, he isn't talking about a restaurateur who his running a multi-store operation either.

The point is that in the economy we are in now, the new high paid jobs are geared towards people who aren't doing rote / process jobs. It requires thinking analytically, dealing with ambiguity, etc.

I give up...

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 11:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Leftists, identity politics is inherently racist and sexist so it should come as no surprise that the left embraces a racist and sexist.

Still, it's fascinating to see how the media keeps up the adoration of Bloomberg, simply because "he's 30 times wealthier than Donald Trump."

posted on Feb, 18 2020 @ 12:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Still, it's fascinating to see how the media keeps up the adoration of Bloomberg, simply because "he's 30 times wealthier than Donald Trump."

The wealth part is a side-effect, and for him, that could just be about any number he wanted to expose.
No, the adoration is intrinsic, as they work for the same power.

new topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join