It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake hits Klerksdorp in South Africa (from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Earthquake in Klerksdorp and neighbour town Stilfontein, probably the result of mining activities in the small mining town Stilfontein, the quake meshered 5, 3 on the scale could be felt as far as Pretoria and joburg. Buildings and cars damaged, some people injured 1 miner injured and 1 missing.

www.news24.com
He said the 40 injured people had "luckily had only bruises, cuts, and scratches".

Yvonne Heintze, who is a grandmother, was cooking when the earthquake hit.

She said: "I just grabbed my grandchild and ran. I wasn't thinking that much. I don't think one can think."

Heintze believes the roofs of two flats above her collapsed on top of her home.

She had no idea what caused the wound, now bandaged, on her wrist. "But it was probably glass."

"I saw the flats come down and ran. I got such a fright I couldn't think."

Among people who gathered to see what had taken the "stil" out of "Stilfontein" at lunchtime, was former miner Johan van der Westhuizen.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I always known about the small quakes because of the mining activities, my grand parents lived there for years but gust my grand father are still alive but in Pretoria now likely nobody else died but its bad when people loos everything in a disaster like this hopingly there will be no quakes soon. This is to the first time a 5, 3 are meshered in South Africa.

Related News Links:
One miner dead, one missing
Quake miners still underground
Three injured miners saved
Photos Gallery

[edit on 10-3-2005 by vaswegpg]

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I hadn't even heard of this yet-thanks for sharing!

join