It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LMAO...Klobuchar Now Says English Shouldn't Be Official Language of U.S.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2020 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Understand that the lesson is a sound one no matter where it comes from.

You cannot unify with people you cannot even communicate with which was the whole point of God breaking them up with different languages in the end.

Which is why there should be documents and forms available in other languages besides English, so that we can all communicate with one another.

When you see those United Nations meetings and everyone is wearing headphones, that's because someone is translating what the speaker is saying into their own language for them, so they can understand what's going on, and all be on the same page, so to speak.

posted on Feb, 15 2020 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

We're talking about the availability of information and forms in languages other than English. It's not that complicated.

And again, how would declaring English the U.S.'s official language hinder that? I will save ya some time. It wouldn't.

posted on Feb, 15 2020 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Hypntick

Why would any non-citizen or person not seeking to become a citizen would need our governmental forms?

Pay taxes, get a driver's license, report a crime...

posted on Feb, 15 2020 @ 06:03 PM
link   

You cannot do that for all of society. It is impractical in the extreme.

It is expected that when you move to another country, you become a part of that country. You learn to live as they live, you speak as they speak. You can't deny this is true.

If you decide that we are no longer expecting those who come here to learn to speak as we speak, then no one has any anchoring group anymore. We are a set of fractious colonies from other countries, not one nation.

I expect though that this is something the politicos would love because if you can't directly talk to others, then you can't work out your differences and discover that you're not so different after all. If you can't talk to them, then you can dehumanize them, and the politicians can pander to all the different groups without really fixing any actual problems forever.

Stop being part of the problem by thinking this is a wonderful thing. And stop pretending that if you moved anywhere else in the world, you wouldn't be expected to learn their language.

posted on Feb, 15 2020 @ 06:07 PM
link   

How do you figure when now you need those translators not just once, but at EVERY level to read the non-English forms.

posted on Feb, 15 2020 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Non-citizen...So they do not pay taxes, unless here on a work visa in which case they should know English. Same with the driver's license, and as far as reporting a crime, I believe every single police department and law enforcement agency has access to translators. Your argument is completely invalid on this one.
edit on 2/15/20 by Hypntick because: Typo

posted on Feb, 15 2020 @ 06:08 PM
link   
“I have a dream”, a dream that someday I come across a Democrat with an IQ over 50.

.....and there’s people dumb enough to support the democrat party still?

posted on Feb, 15 2020 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Report a crime. So now every department needs to hire at least 1 person who can read every language on Earth?

posted on Feb, 15 2020 @ 06:14 PM
link   
If you come to America it would be in your best interest to learn:
English
The dollar and all it's denominations
The culture
Manners
A professional skill
Civic duty

Otherwise you will be a burden to others and not get the most out of the American experience, and maybe deported.
If one comes to America for a better life then contribute to America by assimilating into your community, only then will you truly have a better life..maybe even a rewarding life.

originally posted by: Hypntick

Non-citizen...So they do not pay taxes, unless here on a work visa in which case they should know English. Same with the driver's license, and as far as reporting a crime, I believe every single police department and law enforcement agency has access to translators. Your argument is completely invalid on this one.

edit on 15-2-2020 by fringeofthefringe because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-2-2020 by fringeofthefringe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2020 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Hypntick

Sookie's idea is to get rid of translators. Which begs the question, how do the police departments then read the forms?

I guess it's a job creation bill, it'll only cost a trillion a year to fire translators and make it so every department has officers to read every language on Earth.

Definitely a Democrat bill.

posted on Feb, 15 2020 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: highvein

And again, how would declaring English the U.S.'s official language hinder that?

Again, that's not the question that Klobuchar was asked. She was asked about her 2007 vote, that would have reversed President Clinton's Executive Order, mandating government forms be printed in various languages. That's just what the click bait headline insinuates.

As far as I know, that is still US policy.

edit on 15-2-2020 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2020 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Sookie's idea is to get rid of translators.

No more than current policy already has conveniently scaled down their need. There will always be a need for translators, even if they're only translating government forms so that they can be printed from a computer.

posted on Feb, 15 2020 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hypntick

Lots of non-citizens work in the US, own businesses in the US, own property in the US, register vehicles in the US, etc...

I believe every single police department and law enforcement agency has access to translators. Your argument is completely invalid on this one.

Since, what I'm arguing is current US policy, and that policy is why law enforcement if able to fund access to translators....

edit on 15-2-2020 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2020 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Speaking as a Tree Frog I demand that this biggot government prints forms in Treefrognese, all things being equal.

You see this is a slippery slope. Soon they will mix up actual languages for made up # like they do with gender. Except language is in fact a construct unlike gender.

Terrible idea. Use the resources we have to better accomodate genuinely disabled people. Provide reading classes to the illiterate. But do not make the role of the government to create excessive government.

posted on Feb, 15 2020 @ 06:49 PM
link   
She is not even a jellyfish going with the flow. One minute she for border security next minute no. One minute for English then now no. Can only do that for so long. Trump is going to beat her over the head with an aluminum bat in a real debate. She will swing a pillow and he will be swinging a sock full of quarters over and over and bashing her upside her floppy hairdo.

He will destroy her and her floppy bangs.

posted on Feb, 15 2020 @ 06:51 PM
link   

So you want a translator to translate without the complainant there to make sure the translation is accurate. So everything still gets translated just with a higher risk for error.

Genius.

posted on Feb, 15 2020 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Klobuchar evidently is delusional. I am not going to be forced to learn a second language, one is enough. I am learning the language of science too, that is more important than learning spanish or French. English is a language that many people worldwide know, not much spanish is known in most countries.

If I was going to learn a second language, I would like to learn Finn.....but why would I want to learn a second language.

People want everyone to learn spanish so they will know when Hispanics are talking about us inappropriately. A lot of Hispanics do talk about us Americans with their friends, they can talk about a person and that person would not know that they are talking trash about them. Since there are hispanics around, some idiots think that if more people know spanish that the hispanics will not talk trash about us, but they are delusional, they will always say stuff behind our backs because Americans are priviledged and they are often ignorant, many only help others to gain prestige, not because they actually want to help others. Hispanics usually lump us all together initially, but learn we are not all alike once they get to know us. Some of the older immigrants Italians have the same kind of mindset.

The vast majority already speak english, just teach newcomers to speak english, they are coming to our country to live, we are not going to theirs. They pay the burden of adapting if they want to come here, we do not bow down to immigrants. It is ok if they come here if they are good, but we do not need to start learning hundreds of different languages and dialects.

posted on Feb, 15 2020 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

English is also the most common language in science and research.

posted on Feb, 15 2020 @ 07:37 PM
link   

I like Klobuchar. I think she has a great chance to beat Trump if she gets the nomination.

posted on Feb, 15 2020 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

Klobuchar was one of 17 Democrats to support a 2007 amendment that would have reversed President Bill Clinton’s executive order requiring federal agencies to provide materials in languages other than English. It passed 64-33, but the larger immigration bill died.

The issue at hand is whether or not the USA should print forms in more languages than English. I happen to think the government should print forms in more languages than just English. I'm glad Amy Klobuchor has changed her mind, and now thinks so too.

If you cant read or speak english then you should learn how or get an interpreter.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join