It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I was wondering if ATS is shutting down

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2020 @ 07:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Maybe you could use your leverage ($$$) to make the website more secure (https://), which would thwart DDOS attacks to a greater degree, and make newer browsers more "friendly" towards AboveTopSecret.com.

HTTPS doesn't make a difference against DDOS attacks.

A DOS attack acts by issuing too many requests to the server, so the server becomes to be busy to be able to serve the requests from real users, denying their users the usual service. It's the same as you having 5 (for example) browsers pointing to the same page, you are using 5 times more resources than you could and are, in fact, reducing the server's capacity of responding to other people's requests.

A DDOS attack uses several computers, each one making several requests, to amplify the attack of a single computer, so the target of a DDOS attack can get millions of requests per second. If it can only respond to, for example, one million requests per second and is getting 2 millions then the extra million is kept waiting for a response, and the same happens to the real users of the site.

HTTPS adds extra work to protect the communication between the server and the user's browser, so it takes more resources than HTTP, making it slightly slower. Obviously, it doesn't help a thing against a DDOS attack, it even makes it easier to reach the limit, as the server has to work harder to respond to a request.

As for being "browser friendly", my opinion is that the browser makers should not dictate what people can and cannot do with their own sites. If I have an almost static site (like the ones I manage at work) with not information being sent by the users except words for site searches then I don't need HTTPS, so when the browser says that the site is not secure they are fooling the users. Yes, the site does not use a secure connection, but it doesn't need one, so there is not problem with that.

The same thing happens with ATS and other forums like us, we don't have important information being sent to and from the server (like credit card or bank account information), so we do not really need HTTPS.

posted on Feb, 15 2020 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence

We have 300,000+ members who have none of your issues. You can fix yours....we all figured it out. It's you, your devices security, open tabs etc....

Good luck.*

* FYI: Use DESKTOP on mobile, stay logged in day to day. Also, NO type of Ad blocker is allowed...and we agreed to that when joined...and these can present the problems you're claiming

posted on Feb, 15 2020 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jay-morris
The site is set not running 100% I have had the issue of a page not loading for up to five mins. Happens a few times a day for a while now. I use my mobile for this site. I thought it might be a browser problem, so have used different browsers, but still happens. See a problem with the site.
I can confirm I see this too. I don't get any error page, just very long load times a few times a day, but only for maybe the last 5 days or so.

It's very much like the long load times that used to happen from :28 to :33 past the hour when the site was updating, that was eventually fixed some time back, but I haven't noticed a pattern to the recent long load times. I'll try to pay more attention after reading this thread to see if I can spot any new pattern, but the site usually works fine, the long load times are just as Jay said, a few times a day.

posted on Feb, 15 2020 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

Very well done explanations on ddos and https, i wish i could star it, but will have to say thanks the old fashion way.

Thanks!

posted on Feb, 15 2020 @ 08:53 AM
link   

100% correct. Thanks for providing detailed information.

posted on Feb, 15 2020 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

I used to refer to a DDOS similar to the old “open a new window, that opens a new window” java script that would continue on until your computer ran out of memory and had to shut down as to why it worked. Not exactly the same deal as exploiting the memory hole, but the bog down before having to sever the requests is the same, sorta.

However, to young users that never experienced it, it makes as much sense as the knocking on the front door/back door until you get tired analogy.

posted on Feb, 15 2020 @ 10:09 AM
link   
So a handful of members are having trouble on a consistent basis, but hundreds or thousands are not. I haven't had any trouble accessing the site either from my PC or my phone and I'm on almost daily for the last several months. Once in a while I encounter a delay or a page that doesn't load the first time but it's rare and it could be anything between my service and the ATS servers. I see that at work too since our servers are hosted across the country.

XL5

posted on Feb, 15 2020 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Maybe that moment from :11 - :15 is when all your data is sent from the server to the market data analytics centers, NSA and what not. They should send it out as a trickle over time instead, the internet is not a big truck, it's not something you just dump something on...it's a series of tubes!

That said, everybody has this downtime I'd bet and even if just 100 people have it, it is still a problem and should be looked after. Imagine going to a doctor with a rare condition and told that it is not a problem and you are the only one complaining about it. After a while people will stop complaining and the problem people (not the issue) will go away.

posted on Feb, 15 2020 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger
We have 300,000+ members who have none of your issues.

Of those, around 3000 have been on ATS in the last 30 days.

posted on Feb, 15 2020 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Just a query:
bloomberg is putting crazy amounts of $ into media ads.

Is it possible to like have worms or "feeelers" loading on pages that his ads are just resource thirsty?

When an ad loads it utilizes the resources available given the cpu opening the page...

Are his ads or just ads in the way they function meant to piggyback on other's resources and not have their own computing power.

Piggyback on steroids?

edit on (2/15/2020 by loveguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2020 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: loveguy

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean, could you rephrase it? Thanks in advance.

posted on Feb, 15 2020 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence
What's this link for?

posted on Feb, 15 2020 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: machineintelligence
a reply to: clay2 baraka
The link to the member page I posted has just came back with the graphic I posted. If it works for you thats great but it does not work for me

works for me too..

posted on Feb, 15 2020 @ 01:09 PM
link   
ads.
they tie up background resources?

The end user only sees pages loading or not bc ads on the page suck or do not entirely suck computing power from end user resources?

I'm blaming it on ads.
With 3 tabs open, the recent posts tab reloads normally- but the other 2 tabs have issues reloading periodically.

If infected ads have no particular page assignment and are on any page at any particular time if there's a bug it would effect all servers in the sites network? Only certain pages seem affected- on my end.

ads are extremely invasive.

posted on Feb, 15 2020 @ 01:50 PM
link   

I see the site is still not fully functioning after many days now. I am wondering if in fact you are preparing to sell the site or just shut down at this point. If you are selling out is there a bidding process going on and if so how would I get the data for the biding process. Thanks.

IDK but I’m willing to go ahead and pre-sale all of my posting data for a nominal fee. I will just need you to transfer some funds into my account.

posted on Feb, 15 2020 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Pages so slow to load, I'm forced to youtube and kittie videos; But I always return for my fair share of abuse.

posted on Feb, 15 2020 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Ahabstar-

I remember getting the windows one years ago, after the fact it was sort of humorous, at the time though it was freaky as hell. Always amazed me how people find the time to put energy into making strangers lives miserable.
edit on 2 15 2020 by caterpillage because: Quote didnt work lol.

posted on Feb, 15 2020 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

I have lots of ideas like that but I find no advantage in detailing them. Like I said I have liked this site for a long time. I know they have deep state ties but that would change under new ownership. Gov money coming in makes companies a bit lets be kind and say complacent. I would probably focus on making a profit from selling user channels. I would also have as you suggest have SSL and operate the site in the same tech they use for bitchute which is p2p scalable and have the servers hosted in Iceland. Making the site impossible to attack with a ddos and ensuring privacy and security to all users,

posted on Feb, 15 2020 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: loveguy

I think I understand what you're saying.

Ads run on the client machines, not on the servers, as they are not fixed, they are "tailored" for each user's navigation and search history (that's why I always get so few ads, living in Portugal most companies that have ads for ATS do not have ads for Portugal), so they came from other servers, the raw ATS pages only have "your ad here" spaces for the ads.

So, while ads can slow down the users' machines they cannot affect page creation on the server and are not the cause for the problem in the OP.

posted on Feb, 15 2020 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Making the site impossible to attack with a ddos and ensuring privacy and security to all users,

It's impossible to make any site invulnerable to DDOS attacks, as they work by making normal requests for pages on the server. The only way would be to add one of those stupid "prove you are not a robot" thing on every page load.

PS: privacy on a public site is a bit useless, don't you think?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join