It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corona Virus Pandemic Preparedness

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I've been avidly watching the Corona Virus threads and have been getting more and more concerned.

I started researching preparedness and I found there where so many things we just take for granted and don't realize we need to plan for in the event the SHTF in our respective area's.

Below are some of the websites I came across that may be useful in getting prepared but I was hoping we all could pool our knowledge to create a master list?!

FEMA Emergency Supply List

Prepper Bug In List (Great free download)

Virus Treatment Suggestions and Medicines

Home Cleaning/Decontamination Info

Surgical Hand washing tips

I'm sure you all have more idea's and resources.

Top things seem like common sense but most of us aren't conditioned to implement them:

1. Don't touch your face- Average person touches their face 3.3 times per hour.
2. Wash your hands often- most viruses live on skin for 20-30 min as our PH and pourous skin typically kills it but better to be safe then sorry.
3. Dah avoid sick people
4. Use hand sanitizer
5. Get plenty of sleep and eat healthy

Hopefully this bug doesn't get too bad but in case it does better to prepared now then scrambling at the last minute.

edit on 14-2-2020 by sirlancelot because: added info

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 06:56 AM
link   
I think we do need to think about preparedness in this regard, if we haven't already. The links you provided are very useful, although I'm already prepared to a degree. The one about treating a viral infection and the one about disinfecting the home are good ones too. To a lot of people, it might seem like common sense, but really there are many people who have never even thought of such things.
I think it's best to be prepared just in case. I'm tired of people downplaying the risk. I'm getting it from my family members, so I just stopped talking about it.

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: sirlancelot

One of the problem is that most of the survival gear available is not designed for a virus crisis.

Self isolation full of supplies seems to be the right strategy to keep in mind if need it.
edit on 14-2-2020 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Avoid travel, avoid crowded places
Stay home until a cure is available.

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Lets not forget about our cell phones:

Check out these links on how dirty our cell phones are:

Cell Phone Experiment- Totally Gross Results

Over 25,000 bacteria per square inch on phone

E Coli, Staph, Viruses and more on phone-Yuck

I rarely would clean my phone...that just stopped as of today.

Interesting that there are products that clean your phone while you sleep. Anyone have one and have thoughts on it?

Cell Phone Cleaners
edit on 14-2-2020 by sirlancelot because: added info

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: sirlancelot

I just spray it with Lysol both sides once a day or 2.

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 07:41 AM
link   
From the Corona Virus 3 Page on decontamination- Very thorough!

If the SHTF, I have a plan for decontamination. This is really worst case stuff though, in case it has a high mortality and is highly transmissible. I have not done any trial runs on it yet, but it will be about as good as I can do.

I used to work on and off in clean rooms. Some to were to protect dust sensitive products, a couple were to protect me from chemicals. So I am fairly familiar with the gowning and degowning procedure.

First of all, I will be the only one going out, and that is only when needed. I am trying to limit it to maybe 3 times over 6 months. I have food and others stores enough for 6 months for my family.

I have Tyvec suits ready, with hoods, and booties. Booties and gloves should be duct taped to the suit around the wrists and ankles. A respirator with P100 filters, and goggles.

I purchased a fogger, and a hospital disinfectant called VitalOxide, which kills 99.999% of all bacteria and virus.

Before coming inside, I will have my wife fog me down with it from a distance of about 5ft. Making sure to get the filters on the mask, gloves, booties, etc. Wait about 2 minutes for it to work.

Remove and dispose of the gloves and booties outside. Remove the Tyvec suit outside and hang it up for another spraying later.

Clean my hands with alcohol, after removal. Come inside and disrobe in the laundry room, putting cloths in the washer right away. Get a shower and change.

Put on a new pair of gloves, and the respirator, take the fogger out to the car, and fog the inside of the car, especially the steering wheel.

I will also give the Tyvec suit another spritz, just to make sure.

Clean the fogger with wipes, remove and dispose of gloves, sanitize on hands again. Remove mask.

That about covers it. About the best that can be done in a home environment anyway.

edit on 14-2-2020 by sirlancelot because: correction

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Doesn't much matter. Anyone who needs daily meds to survive wouldn't make it even if they had all the other basic necessities. If you can't get to the doctor or get refills on necessary meds, you're toast even if the virus itself doesn't get you. There is no way to stockpile prescription meds.

I only ever have enough meds for 3 months. And that's assuming they've just been refilled. If I were to get caught in the last month of a refill, I'd be SOL. So if you have anyone in your household who needs prescription meds to live, you'd better hope any kind of lockdown scenario doesn't last very long.
edit on 14-2-2020 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 08:57 AM
link   
People die of pneumonia every year. I wonder if this whole Corona Virus is nothing more than just some flavor of the common cold. I wonder if the Corona Virus death rate is more than the usual yearly death rate.

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Protect self and family

Dr. John Campbell has been doing a great professional job keeping up with regular updates to the virus situation and a has a long history of other medial lectures available on his channel.

Stock up on some food and water in case quarantine is implemented. Try not to leave it too late and get caught up in the last minute mass panic rush.

Consider your self defense options. There has been some minor out breaks of civil unrest and frustrations in Wuhan. Generally people do work together well is difficult situations, but the longer this pandemic goes on for the more desperate some people may become.

Longer term issues of social infrastructure are going to be a problem. Currently medications out of China have stopped, India is still making some for the moment. Start looking at alternative plant based options that can be locally sourced. If you are on a dependent medication consider reducing your intake gradually rather than have a sudden stop. What alternatives are available?

Hopefully the pharmaceutical and transportation industry can keep it together through this storm. Having some plans and options while there is still time might help you find a better way through it in case the medication supply does stop.

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
People die of pneumonia every year. I wonder if this whole Corona Virus is nothing more than just some flavor of the common cold. I wonder if the Corona Virus death rate is more than the usual yearly death rate.

I have wondered this exact same thing.

So many people think it is the flu, it isn't.
Maybe Corona virus is just a more contagious cold, which in turn causes more deaths from pneumonia just because of the numbers catching it, not because it is actually worse.

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Ellie Sagan

if we haven't already.

if you haven't already, your too late. and are only going to make it harder on everyone else.

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

coronavirus IS the common cold. i though we established that already...

"A coronavirus is one of a number of viruses that cause diseases in mammals and birds. In humans, the viruses cause respiratory infections, including the common cold, which are typically mild, though rarer forms such as SARS, MERS and COVID-19 can be lethal."

en.wikipedia.org...

"The common cold is a viral infection of the upper respiratory tract. The most commonly implicated virus is a rhinovirus (30–80%), a type of picornavirus with 99 known serotypes. Other commonly implicated viruses include human coronavirus (≈ 15%), influenza viruses (10–15%), adenoviruses (5%), human respiratory syncytial virus (orthopneumovirus), enteroviruses other than rhinoviruses, human parainfluenza viruses, and human metapneumovirus. Frequently more than one virus is present. In total over 200 viral types are associated with colds."

en.wikipedia.org...

Also there is 2 types of pnumonia: primary-caused by the virus and secondary-caused by bacteria that grows in the virus infected lung

Covid19 causes secondary pnumonia IIRC meaning it just makes your lungs a really nice place for bacteria to grow.

edit on 14-2-2020 by smkymcnugget420 because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-2-2020 by smkymcnugget420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 09:41 AM
link   

The only recorded deaths from the common cold are people with seriously compromised immune systems. Also, the doctors who have worked directly with patients suffering from coronavirus have identified issues beyond pneumonia, such as septic shock and organ failure due to septic shock. That's never something that someone with a common cold experiences. This is neither the cold nor the flu.

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

The only recorded deaths from the common cold are people with seriously compromised immune systems. Also, the doctors who have worked directly with patients suffering from coronavirus have identified issues beyond pneumonia, such as septic shock and organ failure due to septic shock. That's never something that someone with a common cold experiences. This is neither the cold nor the flu.

And don't forget sudden cardiac arrest /heart failure

Dfnj knows this though, he's been all over those threads and people have answered him

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 09:48 AM
link   

This is neither the cold nor the flu.
a reply to: burdman30ott6

it is a really bad version of the common cold. coronavirus causes the common cold:

"Human coronaviruses, which are responsible for about 10% of common colds, were first isolated from volunteers at the Common cold unit of Medical research council, United Kingdom in 1965."

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: smkymcnugget420

That's great but that's not THIS virus, hence the name novel CORONAVIRUS

Hence why the symptoms are baffling doctors, and why it's killing otherwise healthy people and not just the frail, old,

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: smkymcnugget420

Coronaviruses are a a family of viruses. Just because some common illnesses are also coronaviruses, doesn't mean that each coronavirus impacts the infected the same as other coronaviruses do.

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: smkymcnugget420

This is neither the cold nor the flu.
a reply to: burdman30ott6

it is a really bad version of the common cold. coronavirus causes the common cold:

"Human coronaviruses, which are responsible for about 10% of common colds, were first isolated from volunteers at the Common cold unit of Medical research council, United Kingdom in 1965."

en.wikipedia.org...

40% of common cold cases are caused by the Rhinovirus, which is a member of the Picornavirus family... Polio and Hepatitis A are also Picornaviruses. Seems to me there is a world of difference between the common cold, polio, and Hep A...

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

That's why it would be nice to actually see real statistics from China, (we won't) but it would be nice.
I've said it before, a lot of people in China are sick, even at a younger age. The water, the food, and the air is all polluted.
Cancer is rising like never before. So my guess is that the old are toast, the middle age are toast, and people we would consider "safe" against common seasonal flu/colds are probably more at risk over there. Now here in the US we have too many people that have health issues due to obesity etc. That might also be a problem.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join