It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Version of ‘The Thing’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 10:56 PM
link   

onnes wrote, “It’s OFFICIAL! I received my signed contract and first check! I am Executive Producing a remake of THE THING but with additional chapters of John Campbell’s groundbreaking novel, Frozen Hell, that had been lost for decades. Now, for the first time ever, Campbell’s full vision will be realized on the big screen. The new film will include the very best of RKO’s THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD, John Carpenter’s classic THE THING and both books, Frozen Hell and Who Goes There?”

bloody-disgusting.com...

At first, I was kind of worried when I heard about this. But after finding out that it's an adaptation of the lost full book, I'm pretty interested. And the design they have for the alien looks pretty cool.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Grik123
Hopefully it's better than past remakes,which were horrible in my opinion like the remake of the day the earth stood still.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 11:15 PM
link   
How many times has the movie been remade? I can’t believe they are doing it again. The John Carpenter / Kurt Russel version was amazing. It has already been remade once when it didn’t need to be in 2011. Let it end and come up with something new.

ETA: I think the original was made in 1951.
edit on 2020/2/13 by Metallicus because: ETA

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Dear Hollywood, The games industry etc.

Please stop remaking and rebooting everything.

Do we need 10 'Thing' movies? Do we need 50 versions of "Carrie"?

Hell, even video games that are only 'years' old are now being remade and rebooted too.

I know there are supposed to only be 7 plots in the world. but c'mon. Stop being so god damn lazy and greedy.

At least try to come up with something new and original.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I think the 2011 movie was a 'prequel' sequel to Carpenters, and not a remake.

But yep as you might be able to tell with my previous post. I agree. Just stop it already.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
How many times has the movie been remade? I can’t believe they are doing it again. The John Carpenter / Kurt Russel version was amazing. It has already been remade once when it didn’t need to be in 2011. Let it end and come up with something new.

You know the old saying, "Vegas wasn't built by winners."

Hollywood wasn't built by good movies, it was built by selling the idea of good movies. Properly hyped, this movie should make some money whether it's good or not.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 11:50 PM
link   

I Agree the original was a brilliant and very scary suspense horror but the John Carpenter version was gory and very scary at the time while actually very funny today (I suppose we have seen so much horror in the real world these day's it has lost it's edge).
Unlike most remakes I feel John Carpenters bettered the original but the original was a definite ground breaking suspense horror that has never been given the credit it deserved especially for the time it was created.

But it does not need another remake, it is a sign of lazy money making straight to DVD time's when they feel they can yet again capitalize on a classic and my guess is it will probably be worse than a TV movie when and if they do remake it again.

However if they want to create an antarctic horror movie all these lazy producers really have to do is look up ATS conspiracy theory's about Antarctica as there is a veritable treasure chest of idea's on this site that could be dramatized into a good science fiction horror or any other variation with everything from NAZI Bases to buried city's to crashed UFO's and alien colonies having it's own segment on this site somewhere.

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 05:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

Actually, the 2011 film was a prequel explaining what led up to the events in John Carpenter's.
Not great by any means, but when watched back to back, is a fun story.

Edit: Oh I see someone beat me to it!

edit on 14-2-2020 by Jefferton because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 09:14 AM
link   
The prequel wouldn't of been so bad if they didn't ruin the practical effects.

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Grik123

I'm going to steal something a friend said:
"Maybe it wasn't lost but hidden. Maybe it was so bad or went against his original concept that Campbell decided to get rid of it but now some idiot has found the book and sold the rights to make a new film".

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Dwoodward85

I thought something like that too, at first. But apparently Frozen Hell is just the full, unabridged version. Campbell had to cut out some stuff in order to get it publicated.

posted on Feb, 15 2020 @ 02:25 AM
link   

I think the 2011 movie is a prequel but copies the storyline of the 1982 film.

top topics

join