It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Selective service for women?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

As a female, I don't really see this, but I also don't live in a country with any kind of mandatory military service.

Edit to add: I think it's a much more complicated issue than wanting equality in some respects but not all.

True equality between men and women is only possible within certain parameters. And those parameters are typically self imposed (can true equality happen in a system where only women bear children? No. It can't at this time.)

edit on 13-2-2020 by Atsbhct because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 10:29 AM
link   

It is therefore not definitive that all 140lb women cannot carry their equipment.

Likewise, can a 140lb male carry the equipment? There is no answer, there are too many variables.

If any person cannot carry their equipment then I am sure they will not make the grade, be them male or female, I am assuming this sort of ability is assessed before the heat of a battle when it is too late. Anyone not strong enough to carry will be posted to a suitable position.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: and14263

No.. A 140lbs woman can't carry the equipment needed.

It works for women in Israel. Women want to be equal, so let them.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

If they can carry the pack is a bit irrelevant.

Can they fly a fighter jet?
Can they handle a weapons system on a frigate?
Can they drive a hmmv?

They can.. Therefore they should be draft worthy.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 10:43 AM
link   

It is only relevant because you mentioned you didn't think a woman could carry the kit. I completely agree they are draft worthy and more than capable. But at the same time I'm happy to give women the let off.

But you are correct, fair is fair, equal is equal.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 10:44 AM
link   
We could probably solve this very easily. Everyone is fair game but they are given a choice. Don't sign up can't vote in any election. If one is not willing to fight for something then their opinion is voided. Sit home in that comfy blanket of freedom everyone else provides.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Women should have to sign up for selective service.

Women shoukd have to meet physical requirements foe any role that demands it though.

There are plenty of ways we can use people in times of need God forbid it gets enacted

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets
We could probably solve this very easily. Everyone is fair game but they are given a choice. Don't sign up can't vote in any election. If one is not willing to fight for something then their opinion is voided. Sit home in that comfy blanket of freedom everyone else provides.

Or, we could force no one to sign up, and follow with the voluntary military that we already have now.

Men should have the right to choose too!

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Stupidsecrets

That's starting to sound like starship troopers.

You can't be a citizen if you don't serve in the military.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

As a female, I don't really see this, but I also don't live in a country with any kind of mandatory military service.

Neither does the USA. Our military is 100% voluntary. We don't have a draft anymore.
edit on 13-2-2020 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 10:48 AM
link   
They're able to serve at the frontline at this point, why shouldn't they be able to be drafted?

That said, I do think some new guidelines would need to be put in place. For example, if a couple has a child only one of them should be eligible for being drafted.
edit on 2/13/2020 by Xcalibur254 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

Or, we could force no one to sign up, and follow with the voluntary military that we already have now.

The military does a lot more than just war. Hurricanes, floods, boating rescues, riot control, community construction projects. I see no issue with every able body having to sign in as available if needed. I would specifically target new legal immigrants as having to serve at least 2 years. Should have done that with Jews because they scoff at serving in the US military. Hardly any Jews in the US military despite being much larger group than Mormons which there are a lot of them serving.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Still voluntary...
This is only for the draft.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 11:02 AM
link   

We don't have a draft, and being an able bodied male isn't the requirement to be forced to register with the Selective Service. The requirement is just being male. An 18 year old male may be a paraplegic, and he's still required to file. But no female is required to file.

Conversely, a paraplegic could be a dynamite coder!

The fair thing to do is to give men the same rights women have, to choose whether or not they would like to enlist.

edit on 13-2-2020 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
They're able to serve at the frontline at this point, why shouldn't they be able to be drafted?

That said, I do think some new guidelines would need to be put in place. For example, if a couple has a child only one of them should be eligible for being drafted.

Actually back during the Vietnam draft days, many couples married young due to the draft not taking the husband if his wife was pregnant. Though divorces also skyrocketed later due to marrying for the wrong reasons too.

I have no problem with females registering since they can already volunteer for service now. Obviously, there are a variety of skill sets needed in various aspects of military duties, and women may even fulfill some of those roles better than a man. Thus as the name implies, selective service.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Hells yeah, sign on the line girls!
Equal means equal, after all.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

I think we should always keep selective service.

It's a nice wake up call to becoming an adult.

You now have the right to vote upon signing up... Use it wisely.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 12:45 PM
link   

I would prefer to have no draft at all for either men nor women... much better for all if the soldier standing next to you that you're depending on to have your back actually WANTS to be there. Man or woman.

But if we must have a draft, then yes, women must be included. As you say, if they are not capable of combat duties, they can provide support services.

We would have to make some provisions for pregnancy however, and the safety and well-being of the baby.

For conscientious objectors (both male and female), we should offer some kind of community service at home in lieu of military service.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Hardly any Jews in the US military despite being much larger group than Mormons which there are a lot of them serving.

Not true. I know this is considered "truth" in many circles... but it's an ugly and unfair lie.

Yes, American Jews Do Serve

Those that serve in America raise their hand; they are not told to go. Even so, American Jews have raised their hands to enlist at the same rate as other Americans. Thousands have fought in the 16-year-long war that began with the 9/11 attacks, and currently, there are 15,000 American Jews serving on active duty and an additional 5,000 serving in the Guard and the Reserves.

However, no one has paid the price of freedom more than our 56 Fallen Jewish Heroes of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.

The article goes on to tell the stories of three of those fallen.

Heroes come in all races, creeds and colors.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

I imagine if they were drafted and ready to head off to combat you would see an extremely high pregnancy rate....

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join