It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Single Handiest Tool you can own??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 07:24 AM
link   
For the longest time I would have answered this question very affirmatively with...'A knife!'.

Now I'm not so sure. A knife is definitely up there (actually a multi-tool with a knife), but I don't think it's #1. And honestly, I don't know how I lived as many years as I have with the real #1 of handy items to always have...a headlamp!

Just this morning, I went out as I usually do about 4am and was greeted by a new foot of snow, on top of the roughly 2 feet we already have. I needed to get water to the animals, and this was going to be 'fun' (sarcasm). About halfway through my task I realized our stock tank heaters must not be working. I checked the circuit and the GFI was tripped. I went to reset it, and it immediately tripped again. Crap! Now I was going to have to chase a maze of electrical cords, under about 2.5 feet of snow...in the dark. It was a balmy 3 degrees F outside.

I didn't need a knife, but I would have been up a creek without my headlamp! And as I worked through the issue it occurred to me, that headlamp had bailed me out of more issues than I could even count. I have excellent night vision, but you can only see so much, and sometimes you just need to shed light on what you're doing. This is a given. But for years and years I always relied on a flashlight of one sort or another. About 10 years ago I started using headlamps, and they made things so much easier, not to mention they free up both of your hands. I guess I always took it for granted. And then the proverbial "light bulb" came on...if I had to choose just one tool, well, it would be a hard choice between a knife and a headlamp.

Moral of the story: If you don't own a headlamp, buy one! You'll cuss yourself for not getting one decades ago! They're not expensive, but man, are they handy!

What is your single handiest tool?

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Definitely correct on headlamps. I actually wear two when checking my trap-lines.
One on my head, and the other is zip tied to a cuff that I have wrapped around my forearm .

Setting/checking traps in the dark can be dangerous, but most of the time it's the walking to/from the trap-line that can be the worst.

Having one on my forearm allows me to see where I'm looking as well as where I'm reaching or probing/poking.

Saved my butt a few times.

Also handy for when you carry a revolver for a sidearm in the woods, as most dont have flashlights attachment points that work well.
edit on 13-2-2020 by Notoneofyou because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

hammer .

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Notoneofyou

Headlamps have come a long way in the past 20 years. Used to be you either had to get one of the really expensive Petzl's from the mountaineering store, or you were relegated to one of the ones that weighed a ton and had 3-4 D cell batteries in them. LED technology has helped with this problem immensely.

The headlamps I use now are so bright they'll night-blind someone if you look at them and forget to turn the light out (which is really easy to do in the dark).

And I'll bet they really are indispensable on a trap line! Stick a hand inside a set and you might get a nasty bite, or worse come up with a trap on your hand! That would definitely suck!

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 07:46 AM
link   

I do agree that headlamps are very handy. Hell I bought a whole mess of them for around $20 so I can leave them in handy places. That being said I will have to say that I'm going to have to stick with the knife as the handiest tool you can have. A headlamp requires batteries and when they die they don't do it on your terms. Its always at the worst time that they do die. Plus the headlamp only has a few uses during certain times. The knife on the other hand has an endless possibility of uses. Can't hunt, build, or free someone from a burning car by cutting their seat belt with a headlamp.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 07:46 AM
link   
A good hatchet.

You could have then cut some kindling to fashion a torch. Then you could have carved out a shovel to clear the snow. Then chopped of some twigs to fashion some prongs to prod said electrical circuits....and so on and so forth.

Eta.....
Take your pick of hatchet multi tools.

www.google.com... le&ie=UTF-8
edit on 13-2-2020 by lakenheath24 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Heh, many moons ago (back in the 90's) I won a bunch of free stuff from Cabela's in a contest about 'post your cool ideas' (or something like that).

My invention that I'd been using for a while was to take a mini-maglite and wrap several wraps of duct tape around the end of it. That way you could hold it in your mouth without breaking your teeth, and if you ever needed some duct tape it was right there on your flashlight. It was one of the top responses.

Almost immediately after that a couple companies came out with a cordura adjustable headband using velcro which had an elastic loop on it which you could slide a mini-maglite into to hold it on your head. The only thing missing was the duct tape!

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: JFA13

True, but you're headed more down a 'survival' path.

I guess my point was more 'day to day' everyday kind of stuff.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=24944144]lakenheath24[/post

Please tell me you got one of those at Harbor Freight!! LOL!

If you really wanted to go down the hatchet path, I'd definitely go here...

CRKT Chogan T-Hawk

I have one, and it's the bomb for camping, but still wouldn't want to be without my headlamp.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 08:02 AM
link   

They can definitely reduce the "pucker factor" when checking the sets.

Had I not been wearing mine at the beginning of this season, i would be dead.

A new pack of wolves decided the outcrop/rockledge above one of my honey holes would be a good spot for a den.
They never made a sound as i was walking right in to them. I was looking down so I didn't slide or trip on the riverbank when i reached out to brace myself.

10+ sets of eyeballs looking at me, not 40 ft away.

The little ledge they were on is about 4ft above the waterline there.

I would've walked right into them.

Also saved my fingers from a beaver a time or two when doing ice sets.

Never, ever go out without a light.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Notoneofyou

I hope you took a few of those bastages out!!

Those moments definitely max out the adrenaline factor!

Kind of off-topic, but I got seriously stalked by a cougar one night. Much like you, I walked right into him before I realized what was going on. It was the perfect set up too! My only escape was steep uphill. Everything else downhill was all in the dark timber (right where he wanted me). And because of the steep terrain that night I'd left my sidearm back in camp to cut weight, due to the long hike down the mountain at night. I'd have never been able to swing my 7mm around fast enough to ward off an attack from above and behind. It's that moment you realize...OH S#!!! He got around behind me 3 times without me seeing him, even with me changing directions frequently to prevent exactly that! He was literally stalking me as prey!

It was kind of ironic too because not 10 minutes earlier I had seen a fresh cougar track in the snow, and I stopped to take a picture of it (it was a BIG track too). I was about knee deep in the snow and I continued downhill into the trees. When I got in the trees I looked at my jacket and it was covered with snow...then the light bulb comes on!! UH-OH!! That track wasn't just fresh, it must have been made seconds before I got there, else it too would have been covered in snow! And you know, I never did see that cat either. I saved my path on my GPS, it's crazy to look at (did 600 feet vertical uphill, with double backs, and direction changes, all in less than 20 minutes...in the snow)! Found tracks behind me every time I doubled back (in both directions, and on top of my tracks...this cat was on me!)

edit on 2/13/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 08:21 AM
link   

I guess it did come across more as survival than day to day. I carry a Hogue EX-A01 that I use 5 or 6 times a day. I don't carry a headlamp but I have them everywhere. I have one in my desk at work, in my truck there are prolly 3 of them, all over the house and garage. But I don't use them but every once in a while. Maybe once or twice a week If I get home late and its dark i will use one to put the chickens up and collect eggs but, the knife is used multiple times daily.

P.S. Another great post brought to you by FCD!

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 08:30 AM
link   

My hands.

They are still good after half a century and the things I can do with them are incredible.
edit on 13/2/2020 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: nerbot

Well, okaaaaaay, but that was kind of implied!

I was talking about in addition to your hands (eyes, feet and other body parts you generally don't leave home without).

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Today....its a smart phone.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I'm going to have to disagree on this one.

If there's one tool I wish we could go back in time and UN-INVENT it would be...the smart phone!!!!

Sorry, man, I really am, but smart phones are the scourge of planet Earth IMHO. Arguably the greatest invention of the 20th century, but I hate 'em! Rudest device ever invented in the history of mankind (again, IMHO).

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Your personal feeling on mankind don't really change anything.

Still the greatest tool available today.

Even has a headlamp....lol

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I'm not tapin' my cell phone to my head!

But you're right, my personal feelings matter exactly zero, hence my "IMHO" insertions.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 09:01 AM
link   

You could nail it to your head.....

Well once....

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I would say gorilla tape. A knife is good but only when want I want to scare the people I have in my back room. The tape keeps them real real quite. Real real still. Big fan of gorilla tape for those types of projects. I was going to go with plastic sheeting but I don't mind a mess.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join