It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrat files bill to ban pumping of your own gas in Illinois

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Gas is a low margin product. It is a commodity. Gas stations make money from the convenience store, not gas. Gas prices are market based and factor in local taxes. The biggest driver of gas prices is location of supply terminals/refineries and competition. In areas where there aren't a lot of terminals, gas will be higher.

This would hurt most gas stations as it disincentives drivers from going inside to buy snacks and sh×t.

The reality is people dont want to pay for full service. If they did, it would already be offered as a differentiators between competing gas stations.

Minimum wage laws have made these jobs obsolete. Yet another unintended consequence of liberal policies.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Next thing you know, this hack is going to file a bill to bring back elevator operators. Maybe require every bathroom to have that guy handing out mints expecting a tip like at the nightclub after you take a wiz.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Take your guns, tax you more, limit your speech, and now.... make it illegal to pump your own damned gas..... and people wonder why I loathe them so.

Make Chicago NJ again.

[sigh]

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I remember being yelled at during a trip through NJ, where I had passed gas station after gas station looking for self service. Found a place that appeared to be so, and before I could get all the way out of my car, the guy was yelling at me to get back in my car!

I was like, "Damn, this guy REALLY wants to pump my gas!"

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: usernameconspiracy

I think we might have stopped at the same place lmao

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I heard that they were planning on something that made you claim it on your taxes if you bought gas out state so they could recoup the tax money? Is this accurate?

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
The biggest driver of gas prices is location of supply terminals/refineries and competition. In areas where there aren't a lot of terminals, gas will be higher.

I dont think this is accurate. In Illinois there are gas stations right next to refineries that have gas priced higher than Mo. 5min away.
edit on 13-2-2020 by coop039 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
a reply to: infolurker
Reinstating pump only employees was the only way to end gas theft, it just wasn’t practical money-wise.

I haven't been to a gas station that didn't require either a Credit Card, or pre-pay, in many many years.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: coop039

originally posted by: Edumakated
The biggest driver of gas prices is location of supply terminals/refineries and competition. In areas where there aren't a lot of terminals, gas will be higher.

I dont think this is accurate. In Illinois there are gas stations right next to refineries that have gas priced higher than Mo. 5min away.

It is... In a past life, I analyzed gas pricing for two major companies buying billions in gas per year for their fleet. It is terminal locations and # of refineries supplying the terminal along with the "fuel jobbers" or middlemen who supply to the gas stations.

IL has the highest (or 2nd/3rd highest) gas prices in the country due to our taxes on each gallon. So yes, you could cross border and find gas substantially cheaper.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: beyondknowledge
I thought the cameras stopped the drive-offs? They have the tag numbers on video and that is all they need to charge someone for it.

I think the lawgiver wants to not pump the gas themself.

I'm betting that it's more about getting people into the store where they might well buy other stuff. A convenience store on average makes a net profit of 3 cents a gallon on self serve gas. But if they can sell you a hot dog, bag of chips and a Big Gulp, the profits go way up.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join