It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrat files bill to ban pumping of your own gas in Illinois

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 01:27 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

I think the vast majority require pre-pay. Alabama does. Washington does, and every state I drove through last year on my way from Washington to Alabama did.

I don't even think about it now. Jump out of the car/truck, check the pump number, and go in and pay. No fuss, no muss.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 02:11 AM
link   
You meam I'll actually have to get out of my car and do it myself? Oh noes.

I dislike not being able to pump my own gas.
I drove through New Jersey and I pulled up at a gas station, and some kid came yelling at me saying I couldn't pump my gas. So, I said whatever, and he proceeds to get fuel all over my quarter panel.

So, I tell him to clean his mess, and he starts getting nervous, scrapes my paint with the nozzle, and starts trying to rub the gas into the paint.

I wanted to strangle him. Not going to lie.

Every adult should be able to pump their own gas. If an adult is incapable of doing so they aren't self-sufficient.

But I guess it just goes hand in hand with certain people wanting their hand held and coddled by the government.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Democrat files bill to ban pumping of your own gas in Illinois

Us older folks remember the day of full service gas stations.

Progress changed that.

Now Regressives will want to make you pay some fool $25 an hour just to pump your gas for you.

Good grief.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 05:16 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Well, to be fair... Oregonians are really terrible at pumping gas. They get it all over their clothes and in their hair. They show up at the office reeking of gas. You know it's for the best.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 05:42 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Then this job will be unionized as well Im sure if it passes. Not sure how this will work since there are times when I buy fuel and there are at least 15 pumps going at the same time. To staff that properly so people are not just sitting there wasting time will take some good staffing number increase for most large stations. How long before gas stations start to increase costs to offset the spike in labor?

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Living in PA but traveling to NJ. The gas tax in PA is so high, it’s cheaper to get full service gas in NJ.

If IL was going to lower the gas tax then make the states hire people. State mandating this is not my bag but it’s not my hill to die in either.

It’s Probably for two fold. Raise gas prices , in disguise of job creation. Higher gas prices will lower driving to some degree. Less driving less emotions.

2nd, adds to the first. Make minimum wage 20 bucks an hour and then say pumping gas is now a career that you can support your family on. At the same time, making gas prices 7-10 er gallon. Pretty much pushing the poor out of car ownership and in to public transportation

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Purpose:

1. To raise the price of gasoline caused by mandatory hiring of attendants.
2. To then proclaim all the new jobs that the Democrats are responsible for creating.
3. To satisfy the climate change nutz that they are doing something to inhibit distribution of fossil fuels.
4. To hide the rise in gas taxes they will soon be doing WHILE the rise in prices happens because of the hiring.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 06:49 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

in my younger days i was a petroleum transfer engineer, pay sucked. then they phased it out. now their phasing it back in.
i bet pay still sucks.

remember, you can trust your car to the man who wears the star,

edit on 13-2-2020 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Not pumping your own gas is one of the most civilized things on the planet, plus, even though our state gas tax is one of the highest, we still have relatively cheap gas here in New Jersey.

Nothing better than sliding the credit card through a barely lowered window so the attendant can pump your gas for you in sub-zero weather.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: tkwasny
1. To raise the price of gasoline caused by mandatory hiring of attendants.

You live in Connecticut, your gas is way more then here in New Jersey and you still have to pump that **** yourself.

Self-service is actually a much bigger profit driver for the convenience side of the business.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 07:08 AM
link   

I'm in Illinois, MO is about a 5 min drive from my house with cheaper gas than we have in Illinois. Everyone in my town crosses the bridge for gas. This wont effect my town to much if it passes but those not near the border probably get screwed if it passes.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Being from the midwest, I can't complain if somebody else wants to stand in the freezing cold and pump my gas.
That's how it was in 'the olden days'.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 07:09 AM
link   
A paid for option would be nice for many people. This woman just doesn't want to do it and heard people pump it for you in other places.

Back in the 80's I was laid off and helped a friend at his station and you wouldn't believe how rude some people were that they had to pay more for full service. But then some would open their blouse or hike up their skirt for us lucky 25 year olds. AHHH the days.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 07:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: beyondknowledge
I thought the cameras stopped the drive-offs? They have the tag numbers on video and that is all they need to charge someone for it.

I think the lawgiver wants to not pump the gas themself.

I don't know about other states, but all gas stations in IL require you to pre-pay. Either by swiping a credit card at the pump, or by going inside the station and paying before pumping (in cash or credit).

Not in Southern IL where I live. We pump first, pay after. No pre-pay.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 07:31 AM
link   
If this was such a great thing gas stations in Illinois would already be offering it and cars would be lined up down the street to take advantage of such an amazing service.

But it's not. And it's the Democrat way to make things into a law instead of letting people and the businesses choose what works best and what is wanted.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Ah the good old days when the pump jockey was told to keep the change so often that by the end of the day they could usually get a meal. You know, when people tipped for service.

Spin it any way that makes you feel better, but it is actually a law of oppression. Job responsibilities and obligations to keep minimum wage workers stuck in dead end jobs, force car owners to waste more gas/money waiting in lines all the while coddling then out of self-reliance.

Just another turn of the screw against your independence.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I wouldn't care about having people be gas attendants, if they weren't incompetent fools. Most high schoolers I see working regardless of occupation care more about flirting and dancing with their phones out than actually doing their job.

Because face it most of these jobs are probably going to go to minority classed adults, because no teenager is going to want to stand outside all day during the summer or winter.

Also, I'd rather not be allowed to service my own vehicle. Next thing ya know we'll be told we can't change our own oil, check our own fluid levels, or air up our tires.
edit on 1322020 by AutomateThis1 because: Spelling

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 08:01 AM
link   
The thing I see is in most cases it will be a lower paying job which in Illinois will require you to work in not ideal weather conditions. From an employee perspective who is going to pay for my work clothing? If it is me and do not have it that could be a pretty significant out of pocket expense if you don't currently have it. If I am going to have to pay for clothing that will be a major turnoff for me to consider that job.

From an employer perspective if you need to cover the cost of clothing and PPE for these individuals that is going to be a lot as I would guess in most cases it will be filled by primarily part-time employees with a high turnover rate so that is a lot of money down the drain when they quit after a week and have clothing you purchased specifically for them, in an already tight margin business there is some big losses. So that cost will be passed on to the consumer.

Then what happens on those really cold/hot days when people start calling in or missing shifts. Are the consumers going to be satisfied waiting several minutes to have their tank filled if it is busy or wait for other services because of short staffing?

I just don't see this as a win for anyone and for sure a loss for the consumer.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Based on what I observe of people's driving skills, it might be that most people don't understand how to pump their own gas. Maybe they're lobbying lawmakers to bring back the good ol days.

Incidentally, if a station near me offered full serve, with tire pressure, wiper fluid and oil level check for an extra $0.15 a gallon, that's where I'd go.

Somewhere, we lost track of the value of time, thinking a few cents here amd there was worth losing the service and efficiency of full serve.

But by force and requirement? Stupid.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: dogstar23
Somewhere, we lost track of the value of time, thinking a few cents here amd there was worth losing the service and efficiency of full serve.

It had nothing to do with that, read the article I linked above, it had to do with people wanting to get snacks and drinks after pumping their gas.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join