It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrat files bill to ban pumping of your own gas in Illinois

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Take your guns, tax you more, limit your speech, and now.... make it illegal to pump your own damned gas..... and people wonder why I loathe them so. I am sure there is some money involved "for the right people" just like carbon credits.

How do sane people vote for these people?

www.fox32chicago.com...

A new bill has been proposed by an Illinois lawmaker to ban people from pumping their own gas in the state.

Instead of individuals pumping their own fuel, it would be required for an employed gas station attendant to do it for safety reasons.

HB4571 was filed on Feb. 5 by Illinois House Democrat Camille Lilly, who represents suburban Oak Park.

edit on 12-2-2020 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

We have this in New Jersey. Has any gas station ever blown up from people pumping their own gas?

It's a great jobs bill but other than that what's the point?

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Maybe it has more to do with gas theft and they’re just saying safety.

I managed a gas station for 8 years, and we had to stop allowing employees to pump gas for insurance reasons.

All of the owners wanted to instate a pre pay only system, but decided against it because it would have affected store sales dramatically.

Reinstating pump only employees was the only way to end gas theft, it just wasn’t practical money-wise.

I imagine there’s someone lobbying the politician because of drive-offs.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 09:47 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Illinois is losing 90 residents to other states every single day. To counter the constant loss of tax dollars, taxes and fees are increased, causing more people to leave, triggering more ideas for raising revenues, thereby causing additional people to leave, which reduces even further the amount of $$$ coming into the state's coffers, triggering alarm bells, which leads to higher taxes/fees along with new innovative ways of finding money.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 10:08 PM
link   

In Oregon (where I live) you aren't allowed to pump your own gas.

The state does charge a tiny tax on the service, so our gas is only about 450 dollars a gallon.

But it's worth it!

/s

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I thought the cameras stopped the drive-offs? They have the tag numbers on video and that is all they need to charge someone for it.

I think the lawgiver wants to not pump the gas themself.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

In Oregon (where I live) you aren't allowed to pump your own gas.

The state does charge a tiny tax on the service, so our gas is only about 450 dollars a gallon.

But it's worth it!

/s

Still less than I pay

You can barely find a station here that is not self serve, maybe 2 out of 12 pumps will be full service.
Speaking of full service, I remember when they would check and top up your oil, the oil came in glass bottles.

I don't get the reasoning for no "self serve"

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 10:33 PM
link   
We get most of our gas at a gas station here that has people pump the gas. It is way more expensive sometimes, it often runs a penny a gallon more than the self serve stations. but usually it is the same price as the other stations.

They sell quite a bit of gas, but it is part of the grocery store so they have income from both and the owner is a local and likes to serve the public. We do buy half of our groceries at that store even though some are more expensive, but the quality of some of their products we buy there seems better than the other stores in the area. Especially the meats and veggies,

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 10:36 PM
link   

But.. look how many jobs will be created!!
Or maybe it's just that people are way too stupid to trust that they can pump their own gas without blowing themselves up.
Or more likely the poor pampered rich lawmakers and their buddies cant find a full service gas station on their chauffeur's day off and, oh my god, they have to pump their own gas!! I can relate. I used to manipulate things so my kid always got the pleasure.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: beyondknowledge
I thought the cameras stopped the drive-offs? They have the tag numbers on video and that is all they need to charge someone for it.

I think the lawgiver wants to not pump the gas themself.

I don't know about other states, but all gas stations in IL require you to pre-pay. Either by swiping a credit card at the pump, or by going inside the station and paying before pumping (in cash or credit).

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I remember the good ole days when someone came out, pumped your gas, checked your tires and cleaned your windows. Only had that experience once as an adult driver. I really don't like pumping gas, especially dressed nicely, or in the cold or extreme heat. I've seen people drive away with the nozzle still inserted in their vehicles...
edit on 2/12/2020 by BlissSeeker because: oh ya know

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Illinois is raising the minimum wage to $15 @ hour. Having employees on hand to pump gas will increase the stations overhead, causing gas prices to increase.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlissSeeker
I remember the good ole days when someone came out, pumped your gas, checked your tires and cleaned your windows. Only had that experience once as an adult driver. I really don't like pumping gas, especially dressed nicely, or in the cold or extreme heat. I've seen people drive away with the nozzle still inserted in their vehicles...

Up until 3 years ago, there were a few stations who had attendants to pump gas for cars that pulled up to the "full service island". Mostly BP Amoco stations.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: BlissSeeker

I remember one gave out I think it was a little red ball to put on your antenna and one of the local radio stations as different times would have someone drive around till they saw a car with the ball and they'd give out the license number over the radio and the person would win cash.. ir something like that, god it was long ago and I was young.
Another would hand out sticker books and give you a sticker to put in it I think. There was a few gimmicks they had going.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Wierd.

I always pump my own gas.

Plus, 89, is currently @ 2.22 per Gal.
Regular, 87, unleaded @ 1.88 per Gal.
edit on 12-2-2020 by Arnie123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 11:05 PM
link   
New Jersey and Oregon both have similar measures but Oregon recently relaxed some of it.

While I agree the safety issue is sketchy at best but the Oregon law seemed to geared more towards job creation than anything else.

So while I get the click bait nature of the title and post it hardly seems to have resulted in firearm confiscation in Oregon and how do you explain Christie reluctance to change the law in New Jersey if this is some sort of cause celeb for our Red State fans? ?

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I can't see it going anywhere.... I am curious as to what spurred this bill though.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 01:05 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust
I live downstate IL and most of the stations in the small towns let you pump and then pay inside.

I only know of one full service station. You pull to the pump and honk and somebody will come perform the service. 99% of people still pump their own. The person doing the service usually has to drop whatever else they are doing to do it. It's a farmer's supply station so the attendant is usually doing something else.

Managing a profitable gas station is difficult, and thankfully our Illinois politicians are here to save the day. Multiple additional employees soon earning $15 (thanks again!) will be needed during peak business hours. Say goodbye to the locally owned gas station.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 01:24 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Actually, for the longest time, and it may still be the case, though I've been gone for almost a year, Washington's gas prices were several cents higher on the east side of the states.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join