It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Stolen Kids of Sarah Lawrence What happened to the group of bright college students who fell und

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Talia told her housemates that her father was getting out of prison and needed to crash with them for a while, they were mostly unfazed.
Within days of his release, Larry Ray moved onto Sarah Lawrence’s campus.
The residents of Slonim 9 were in some ways typical Sarah Lawrence students
They were also sensitive and, in ways common to 19-year-olds, searching for guidance. There was Daniel Barban Levin, who had begun exploring his sexuality. Claudia and Santos had both struggled with depression. Another roommate, Isabella, went through a bad breakup soon after Larry arrived.
Talia’s boyfriend at the time remembers seeing Larry and Isabella reclining on Talia’s bed. Larry was stroking Isabella’s hair, soothing her.

The Stolen Kids of Sarah Lawrence What happened to the group of bright college students who fell under the sway of a classmate’s father?

I can't go into detail like I wanted to. But I wanted to share this article, it caught my attention almost immediately and takes you very deep into the life of a group of young teenagers who were quickly manipulated by one of their peer's father. If you have kids in college or getting ready to go to college, or you yourself are preparing or already enrolled, take time to read this.

This story is about Larry Ray, the father of Talia Ray. Talia's parents divorced when she was young but it was too late, she'd already been brainwashed by her father. She told the court that her mother and relatives sexually abused her and Larry was granted full custody. The story is long, but it sucked me right in and I couldn't stop reading until I got to the end. To hear these kids tell their part is frightening.

I grew up skeptical of people like this, but these kids were all facing their type of loneliness or confusion. Larry, because of their situations and because of the fact that his daughter, their leader, said he was a great guy, was able to step right in and take a nearly immediate control.

I hope you have time to read the article in its entirety because the snippets do no justice the reality of the story and how easy kids can be manipulated and controlled. The only reason the parents, who Larry turned the children against, didn't act physically is because they didn't want Larry hurting their child(ren). As a father of a 17 year old son, there's nothing in this world that would stop me from putting my life in danger to make sure his life is safe.

Enjoy the read and let me know what you think. I can't even begin to cover the disgust and the severity of this, knowing there are people out there like Larry. Not as bad as Manson, but I have no doubt he would've taken it that far if he needed to.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I find the parents' lack of resolve where their kids are concerned a bit disturbing. I know the kids were all technically adults, but still ... Maybe that lack of resolve is part of why their kids were easy marks to begin with?

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

My buddy went there and forwarded me the article over the summer. What a POS this guy is, it's amazing with all his convictions what little time he spent in jail and how easily he got things removed for his made up past.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Some good news finally emerged from this story in the end.

"On February 11, 2020, Larry Ray was indicted by federal prosecutors for sex trafficking, extortion, conspiracy and other charges. Authorities began investigating Ray in response to this article."

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Sounds like they came from decent homes, outside of Talia Ray, but had troubles brewing in their heads that their parents were unaware of. It's unfortunate because I doubt this is the last time we'll see a story like this.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 03:56 PM
link   

After the accounts of the testimony at the eviction trial, I can't believe no one blew some of whistle.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 03:58 PM
link   

I wasn't saying that their home life was awful or that their parents didn't love them. I'm saying it sounds like they hadn't been raised in such a to have a strong sense of self, of being able to stand up for themselves and self-advocate.

I understand they weren't going to best Ray; it sounds like even professionals can't do that. But there were red flag behaviors that should have warned them away early, but they lacked the self-confidence to do that stepping away.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 04:03 PM
link   

I know. While I was reading, I thought Claudia was going to out the man when she sent that letter to the Dean, but she ended up telling him what people were saying was a lie and she was forced to talk bad about him. She should have gone with her first instinct of Ray.

I know hindsight is 20/20, but when I was 19 I would have snuck right out of there after that guy moved in. Talia's boyfriend could sense the imminent danger. I just can't imagine being in their shoes and being controlled like that and mentally tied down with a ball and chain. I can say right now, though, that my mom would have walked in and shot the guy without hesitation. My dad, like me, would have walked in and beat the man within an inch of his life. I wouldn't have been satisfied putting a bullet in him, it would be too quick. I would want every punch to be a reminder.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Eerily similar to some experiences of mine. Difference was, I saw pretty early on what was going on but because of certain circumstances couldn't get out of it for a long time. It's actually served me well, though. I learned a lot about human nature and people by watching what was happening. I was on the outs for most of my time in the situation, which was kind of fun. The guy doing the manipulation could't figure me out so he pretty much left me alone. People have commented to me since that time that he always seemed to treat me differently.

I watched grown men let themselves be manipulated and couldn't fully understand why they allowed it to happen. I saw a precious few others who had the balls to properly stand up to it and they served as good examples to my then-young self.

Life is funny. Adversity brings out our real character. The story about the guy who let himself be forced to wear a dress and then penetrate himself kind of blew me away. I mean, where does a person draw the line? At some point, you have to have some self-respect, but I guess it comes hard for some.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

A lot of kids these days grow up without having earned real resilience. This is the worst way for anyone to learn why it's necessary.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I disagree with the premise that these kids were not properly raised. I think that this is again a form of the Millgram Experiment.

"Larry" was an authority figure who used very good manipulative techniques to convert these young adults to his agenda. Some churches use the same methods to recruit. Unfortunately, I fear that this happens all the time.

Millgram Experiment

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: feldercarb

I am talking about the general passivity displayed by both parents and children. Society produced good followers there.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Students in college are no more adults then they are basic high school or late middle school children in most cases these days. The strong 1% of youth today will extremely dominate the 99 in the next 20 years or so. Schools have safety rooms from people with ideas and defending yourself or thinking for yourself is outlawed. Half assed predators, schemers, manipulators, and General a holes will do terrible things to these people. It’s a shame those kids don’t know how to call a spade a spade, it’s terrible the world we live in don’t let them see the truth.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 06:34 AM
link   

edit on 13-2-2020 by Oathkeeper73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

These kids didn't have the fortitude to draw a line because their friends wouldn't them. They were all in a trance and Ray came off as intimidating to them. He even had them begging for money to pay him back for things of his that they thought they broke, including but not limited to, his emotions. Personally, I would have bugged out the day he moved in. At least I THINK I would have. It's been 22 years since I was their age but even at 19 years old, if I was skeptical of someone, I never hung around with them twice.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: feldercarb

The story doesn't tell us how they were raised, but it mentions that they each had a troubled past. All except for Isabella which is the girl Larry took full advantage of due to a bad breakup, and eventually began sleeping with her.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 07:47 AM
link   

The problem was these kids were a peer group and no one taught them how to say no to their peers when that was clearly wrong.

The leader of the group was already under Ray's sway, and none of them had the guts to stand up and say NO when Ray moved in and stayed out-stayed what was supposed to be a temporary stay and then started breaking boundaries with them. Look at what it took before the one kid finally stood up for himself and said NO - He had to be utterly humiliated and abused, sexually/physically, but he did step away.

I watched my own sister crumble because she couldn't step away from her peers. By contrast, when it came time for me to get out into college, I was more than ready to.

I guess people either subsume themselves into the collective or they make themselves individuals, but the more you subsume to the group, the more vulnerable you are to this.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

In a nutshell, that's absolutely right. It could be why I can think back to when I was in college in the late 90's and know I'd get out of a situation like that before it starts.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 08:01 AM
link   

You're right. All but one of the kids in this story were followers. They didn't know how to be a leader or independent. I don't know....when I was in school, my group never had a "leader" and none of us were followers. We all made our own decisions and anyone who wanted to tag along would tag along. We also didn't have social media and a nanny state, girls didn't gasp and run away when a fight broke out between two guys, and midnight bowling had black light detectable stamps so only one of us had to be 21 (you could lick your hand and press the stamp into your buddy's hand) to get a stamp and drink.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Wow! That was en immersive and disturbing read.

top topics

join