It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Trump do anything wrong influencing the DOJ to lighten Roger Stones sentence

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Look at what Jerry Nadler wants to ask Bill bar when he testifies on March 31st.

theconservativetreehouse.com... 1st/

!

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Why is Stone still a story?

Any prosecution of ancillaries of Trump is fruit from the poisoned tree.

It was a sham investigation, sham FISA warrants, so let the guy go!

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Removed because Burdman covered it much better and more to the point than my little blurb.

edit on 12-2-2020 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Perhaps Stone should just say he's an illegal alien.

Democrats will have him out, free, in a new home and a nice car that he could drive drunk in!

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Look at what Jerry Nadler wants to ask Bill bar when he testifies on March 31st.

theconservativetreehouse.com... 1st/

!

Jfc! Nadler is dumb as a football bat. No wonder these highly intelligent college educated dems always come on this forum with the most outrageous arguments -- look where the talking points come from. Those 3 questions are not worth of Barr's time to show up, but i hope he does. This will backfire on dems so hard we'll be mining salt until mid-terms after Trumps re-election.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 03:03 AM
link   
a reply to: drewlander

There are a lot of moving parts within government, with some people having been there too long.

On a related note, take a look at how the President "weaponized" his Department of Justice.

www.cato.org...

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 07:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: sligtlyskeptical
a reply to: rickymouse

The federal sentencing guidelines say it was the right sentence. What else you going to go by?

For Trump to interfere is a clear violation of the separation of powers clause. Trump should not be overseeing the justice department. Period.

interfere? is that what CNN told you? look sport, you are going to have to think on your own at some point. And when you do get to that milestone, think back and ask yourself, is complaining on twitter the same as interfering? Because if it is, then a whole lot of people need to go to jail. and if we include platforms like ATS, then you should be one of them. Perhaps all of us. Is that fair?
edit on 13-2-2020 by network dude because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Trump should just straight up pardon anyone he wants. It's his legal authority.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Gave it 24 hours, and I don't see a response. So...

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

"By bulldozing into Roger Stone's sentencing, Donald Trump sparked a mutiny by four career prosecutors,"

Makes me wonder why.... I highly doubt a prosecutor would get very upset over a case...they won, end of story and they move on to another case. If Trump pardoned him 2 days after getting elected would they have quite then too?

It seems to me if the DOJ actually looked into the case and if they find irregularities it could be why these prosecutors would want to distance themselves from a sinking ship.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
Isnt funny how every single time the dems push for the harshest possible punishment for anyone connected top trump, but when their side commits the same or worse crimes, they dont want any punishment?

No it's not funny at all.

I am sick of it. Trump should just pardon him and Flynn now.
edit on 13-2-2020 by proximo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Everything is OK. Nothing to see here.

Maybe Pompeo and Barr see a path to wealth and power through a willingness to perform unethical or illegal acts at Trump’s behest. But they are no longer men of moral standing, only the avaricious lieutenants of a cult leader.

Senate Acquittal Gave Trump a Blank Check. With Roger Stone’s Sentencing, the President’s Crime Syndicate Is Cashing In.

This. Is. Fine!

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: proximo
First, A.G. Barr should stop complaining about the President's Tweets, and produce the documentation proving that Mueller's appointment/investigation was based on ENTRAPMENT, and how Flynn was ENTRAPED by Obama holdovers.

After that, the Flynn and Stone Pardon will meet no resistance from Republican leaders.

Democrats whine for a living, so they will never lay off the President.

edit on 2/13/2020 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Thread related:

The main thrust of this article is A.G. William Barr explaining how some of President Trump's tweets make it harder for him (Barr) to do his job. But his words also make clear that President Trump DID NOT influence Barr's decision to request a lighter sentence for Roger Stone.

In an exclusive ABC News interview on Thursday (2.13.2020), Attorney General William Barr said that President Donald Trump’s tweeting about his department was making it “impossible for me to do my job.”

Barr was addressing the Justice Department’s reversal on Roger Stone’s sentence following a tweet posted by President Donald Trump.

While discussing his plan to amend the prosecutors’ sentencing recommendations, Barr said, “Once the tweet occurred, the question is well now what do I do? Do you go forward with what you think is the right decision, or do you pull back because of the tweet? And that just illustrated how disruptive the tweets can be.”

ABC News chief justice correspondent Pierre Thomas asked, “So you are saying you have a problem with the Tweets.”

Barr said, “Well, I have a problem with some of the tweets. I’m happy to say, in fact, the president has never asked me to do anything in a criminal case. However to have publics statement and tweets made about the department, about people in the department, our men and women here, about cases pending in the department and about judges before whom we have cases make it impossible for me to do my job and to assure the courts and the prosecutors in the department that we’re doing our work with integrity.”

Thomas asked, “Mr. Barr, the president does not like to be told what to do. He may not like what you’re saying. Are you prepared for those ramifications?”

Barr said, “Of course. As I said during my confirmation, I came in to serve as attorney general. I am responsible for everything that happens in the department, but the thing I have most responsibilities for are the issues that are brought to me for decision. And I will make those decisions based on what I think is the right thing to do. I’m not going to be bullied or influenced by anybody, and I said whether it’s Congress, newspaper editorial boards or the president. I’m going to do what I think is right. And you know I think the —I cannot do my job at the department with a constant background commentary that undercuts me. ”

He added, “I have not discussed to Roger Stone case at the White House.”
Source: www.breitbart.com...

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 07:51 PM
link   

I do believe Trump has a 1st amendment right like you and I, but according to leftists reality only leftists deserves rights and nobody else.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Thats the thing... he already has been convicted. Why doesnt trump just pardon him outright?
There has to be some reason he is not doing that.
He didnt for Michael Cohen he wont for Mike Flynn if they ever get around to sentencing him and for some reason he wont for Roger either.
Now figure out why.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
My opinion: the DOJ are his people, and enforcement is in his bailiwick. I see no issue with it...so long as the judiciary retains control over that check/balance.

In the case of Stone, i could care less. He didn't do 9 years worth of crime, and his crimes were uncovered under the shade of a poisoned tree. He should likely walk free. I know that isn't a popular opinion, but the entire Mueller investigation was predicated on illegal acts by the FBI, and the results of that investigation should likely be dismissed.

So Barr has publicly said no one influences him including the left trying to bully him. He also said that Trump has not one time asked him to get involved in anything, but Barr did say Trump's tweets makes his job almost impossible at times. Many people lie to Congress and get nothing, not even a slap on the wrist. Many have recently lied to Congress that are liberal leaning and the House looks the other way. Stone actually didn't do anything illegal and so they go after him with process crimes, but when the they do go after people it is typically about 1 year or less in jail for this, hell rape is 4 years average.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

Thats the thing... he already has been convicted. Why doesnt trump just pardon him outright?
There has to be some reason he is not doing that.
He didnt for Michael Cohen he wont for Mike Flynn if they ever get around to sentencing him and for some reason he wont for Roger either.
Now figure out why.

Wait until he is reelected or his last day in office if not reelected as all past Presidents have done.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Maybe because the conviction isn't the problem... the sentencing recommendation is.

This is just freakin' hilarious... Trump could have literally overturned the conviction with a pardon, but because he simply said the sentencing recommendation was too harsh in his opinion, he's committing an impeachable act? My God in Heaven, one poster already said that the President shouldn't be doing his job! The MSM is harping on how a tweet is worse than Watergate! Has the whole world gone mad?

Do people even know what the President does? He is in charge of enforcing the laws, and he is Commander in Chief of the military. That's his job. He gets to do his job whether Congress likes it or not. Congress has oversight, but Congress does not control the military, nor does Congress decide who is to be prosecuted. The Senate gets to approve his appointees, the House can impeach, and the Senate can, once the House impeaches, remove him from office... with a 2/3 supermajority that has never happened.

Congress' main job is to make laws for the President to enforce, not to be prosecutors for anyone in the Executive Branch, and certainly not to nullify the votes of roughly one half of the people. The House of Representatives are the ones ignoring their job, not the most effective President this nation has seen in recent memory.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Can't say whether or not he did influence things, but from a constitutional perspective no sitting president should have influence over sentencing. There is a separation of powers for a reason. The DOJ should be influence by the rule of law, not the opinion of POTUS.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join