It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Trump do anything wrong influencing the DOJ to lighten Roger Stones sentence

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Also from CNN....a link in your OP....

Trump denied any involvement in the sentencing revision, but the turnaround drew howls from congressional Democrats, who called for the Justice Department inspector general to investigate

Link

It is amazing how when it is something 'against' Trump the DOJ is awesome but if it aligns with Trump he is controlling them....hypocrites...

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: sligtlyskeptical
a reply to: rickymouse

The federal sentencing guidelines say it was the right sentence. What else you going to go by?

For Trump to interfere is a clear violation of the separation of powers clause. Trump should not be overseeing the justice department. Period.

The maximum penalty for crimes is not the same as the usual penalty for crimes. You can get five years in prison for a crime yet there is usually just a fine and maybe three days in jail assessed all the time for a first time offender.

What reality do you live in anyway, haven't you ever dealt with the law or got in conversations with lawyers or judges? I have known a half a dozen lawyers pretty well over the years, and a couple of judges. I like discussing things with experts, I always can learn new things.

There is no violation of seperation of powers here, A president could pardon him if he wanted to, is that a violation of power? The president actually puts who he wants into the Attorney Generals position. That person oversees the Department of Justice.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 12:01 PM
link   
According to some of these morons, Trump does something wrong when he wakes up every morning.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: sligtlyskeptical

Its painfully obvious you have no clue what your talking about.

Trump appoints the attorney general. He absolutely oversees the justice dept.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 01:30 PM
link   

The federal sentencing guidelines say it was the right sentence. What else you going to go by?

For Trump to interfere is a clear violation of the separation of powers clause. Trump should not be overseeing the justice department. Period.

What are the sentencing guidelines for the fbi illegally spying on a president of the united states, including changing evidence to help justify it?

What do the sentencing guidelines say Brennan, Come, and Clapper should have got for lying to congress?

What do the sentencing guidelines say for Mills, Abedin and Hillary lying to the fbi?

Isnt funny how every single time the dems push for the harshest possible punishment for anyone connected top trump, but when their side commits the same or worse crimes, they dont want any punishment?

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
According to some of these morons, Trump does something wrong when he wakes up every morning.

Instead of interjecting on this absurd sentence.

Trump should have just claimed executive privilege on all of stones communications, deleted subpoenaed emails, had the fbi raid the offices of the prosecutors looking into stone, had the FBI make up evidence to spy on those prosecutors, tipped of a news outlet like fox news to be their when the prosecutors were drug out of their houses in their underwear by dozen of armed agents, demanded the resignation of those prosecutors, had a quid pro quo to refuse to give money to the districts these prosecutors were from until these prosecutors were fired, and demanded impeachment investigations into anyone who wanted to investigate any of this.

The democrats are perfectly fine with that behavior, as they have showed us.

But wanting a sentence reduced... THAT IS TYRANNY!!!!

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 01:42 PM
link   

I don't care.

I'll betcha the DNC media nails him to the wall this time though!

edit on 12-2-2020 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 03:26 PM
link   
All that the prosecution did was give the judge what the sentencing guidelines were as a suggestion. The judge doesnt have to with that suggestion, or what it was revised to. Considering the crap pulled during his trial, including posting a picture of the judge with crosshairs on her... I think the judge has giving him plenty of breaks and has shown lots of patience. Hopefully barrs antics isnt the straw that broke that camel's back and ticked her off... I mean, I imagine she could go above those guidelines just as easily as below?

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

It's funny how you don't see the Republicans do exactly what the dems would... Yet one side's right 😅🤔

somehow

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

It's funny how you don't see the Republicans do exactly what the dems would... Yet one side's right 😅🤔

somehow

Curious, what did Republicans do that was laid out like Grambler's post?

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 04:34 PM
link   

For christs sake... Are you really saying this? You are trying to say that the guy who has the authority to outright pardon this man is overstepping his boundaries by asking the doj to ease up on the sentencing?

COME ON!!! What the flip, dude!!?!?

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Absolutely Not . What exactly was his crime? Not recalling the Details of a phone call?
Did he have 30,000 Confidential Secret Deleted Emails on his Laptop?
This was Obviously a Biased Illegal Political Prosecution .
The F.B.I. is Guilty of a Deliberate Political Assassination of Roger Stone .
Imo , the Person who should be Serving Jail Time is Herr Mueller . .............

edit on 12-2-2020 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

somehow

Curious, what did Republicans do that was laid out like Grambler's post?

Beat me to it.

I always here the "both sides do it" argument.

Fair enough then show an example.

I an show you dems doing everything i outlined in that post.

I havent seen republicans do one of those things.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
Generally speaking, is it a good thing or bad thing if the president influences the DOJ based on his own personal politics?

Bill Clinton commuted or pardoned 459 people, some who were awaiting sentencing, many who had personal, business, or political ties to the Clintons.

George W Bush pardoned or commuted 200 people, some of who were awaiting sentencing, most of whom had political, personal, or business ties to either the Bush family or Dick Cheney.

Barack Obama commuted or pardoned 1,927 individuals, many who were awaiting sentencing, and many who had political, personal, or business ties to Obama, his mentor Saul Alinsky, or one of Obama's many major donors.

Donald Trump has commuted or pardoned 23 people, 4 of whom were military pardons for convictions Trump disagreed with as Commander in Chief of the military, 1 of involved a black man being charged 100 years prior with transporting his white girlfriend across state lines (apparently that was a crime back then...), several which involved massively overblown penalties for first time drug offenses, and the rest which were related to people with personal, business, or political ties to Trump.

I don't know if I see this as a good thing or a bad thing, generally speaking. Specific to the Stone case, I think it's a good thing. Stone was railroaded not because he committed any crime warranting ANY jail time, let alone 7-9 years, but because he didn't show the establishment the demanded degree of respect and fealty. He is a political prisoner, I see now way around that. The United States allegedly doesn't allow political prisoners... so the President, being bound by his oath to uphold the Constitution of the United States, definitely should intervene and utilize the authority grated to him to ensure this political prisoner is freed, apologized to, paid restitution to, and those responsible for abusing their power and defecating on justice for personal and political gains should be brought to trial for their crimes against Roger Stone.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs

Also from CNN....a link in your OP....

Trump denied any involvement in the sentencing revision, but the turnaround drew howls from congressional Democrats, who called for the Justice Department inspector general to investigate

Link

It is amazing how when it is something 'against' Trump the DOJ is awesome but if it aligns with Trump he is controlling them....hypocrites...

Thankfully, as admitted by the liberal talking heads yesterday, there isn't anything they can do about it. Democrats are essentially powerless at the national level.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 05:26 PM
link   

It is your position that the head of the Executive Branch should not be overseeing a department that is, by federal law and by federal act of it's creation, part of the Executive Branch? Holy God and people wonder why I support a general civics and understanding of government and economics exam prior to being handed a voting ballot in this country. Educate yourself before speaking on an issue, it reduces the risk of looking like a total ass in any given discussion.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Stone was railroaded not because he committed any crime warranting ANY jail time, let alone 7-9 years, but because he didn't show the establishment the demanded degree of respect and fealty.

This. 100%. What happened to him was wrong because of the motive for doing it. What happened to Flynn is a travesty that I hope is rectified soon. The Mueller/Comey/Clapper crew is as corrupt as they can be and my hope is the whole lot of them will go down in flames before this administration is done.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Moral of the story, Trumps integrity isn't what he was voted for. If x y z did it why not.

Maga. Trump 2024. This country is getting more and more beautiful.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Well, look at this. One of the jury members who convicted Rodger Stone has outed herself as a trump hater.

mobile.twitter.com...

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Moral of the story, Trumps integrity isn't what he was voted for. If x y z did it why not.

That's not the point at all. The point was that this is an issue which has always been and was intended to be within the President's authority. The narrative from the Left seems to presently be that this is some sort of unprecedented overreach by this particular president when history and reality clearly show us that it is neither unprecedented nor an overreach measured against existing laws.

If we want to remove the President of the United States' power of clemency, then let's do so using the proper avenue, a law in Congress tested against the Constitution by the SCOTUS and then either signed into law by the President or vetoed by him or her if less than 60% of lawmakers voted for approval of the law. Let's not suddenly ignore standing law and precedent with a fervor driven purely out of a combination of unwillingness to accept the outcome of the 2016 election and personal hatred.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join