It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Trump do anything wrong influencing the DOJ to lighten Roger Stones sentence

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Generally speaking, is it a good thing or bad thing if the president influences the DOJ based on his own personal politics?

In this case, what difference does it make since President Trump can just issue a pardon to Roger Stone immediately after he is convicted. So I don't understand why this is such a big deal in the news media.

Trump's Roger Stone power play reveals a presidency unleashed

"By bulldozing into Roger Stone's sentencing, Donald Trump sparked a mutiny by four career prosecutors,"

edit on 12-2-2020 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

+23 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Because Trump's enemies are almost completely out of ammo against him and blowing this out of proportion is one of the few things they have left.

+10 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Trump can do whatever he wants now. The Democrats went full-blown scorched earth on him and lost the battle, plus all their credibility at the same time. Have fun for the next 5 years. It's gonna be a doozy.
edit on 12-2-2020 by Middleoftheroad because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 11:06 AM
link   

The Obama admin did, so did the George W. Bush admin before his, and so on. It's almost a damn executive privilege.

But to answer your question, he is doing this so he doesn't HAVE to pardon him. Better to have the DOJ slap him on the wrist then to own that you pardoned a guy who is dubious at best.

There is no story here. Stone will get a light sentence, and now Michael Flynn is going to get off the hook. I don't think the Democrats truly get just how bad they have screwed themselves here...

Plus Juicy Smollet just got indicted and Michelle O and K Harris are powerless to help him now....

The impeachment sham was like popping a zit, the pus will now continue to run from the long untreated infection of corruption.....

+18 more 
link   
I suppose Trump can’t have an opinion on things without tears from the left. They should get safe spaces and therapy puppies.

+4 more 
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
Generally speaking, is it a good thing or bad thing if the president influences the DOJ based on his own personal politics?

In this case, what difference does it make since President Trump can just issue a pardon to Roger Stone immediately after he is convicted. So I don't understand why this is such a big deal in the news media.

"By bulldozing into Roger Stone's sentencing, Donald Trump sparked a mutiny by four career prosecutors,"

The whole investigation was started under false pretense.
I.E. The corrupt Obama spying apparatus

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oathkeeper73

The whole investigation was started under false pretense.
I.E. The corrupt Obama spying apparatus

Bingo! Proving that was an entrapment scandal, as well as the Schiff-Vindman-Ciaramella entrapment, is the end goal. MSNBC stopped covering the NH primary last night (for about 25 minutes) when they realized this.
edit on 2/12/2020 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 11:11 AM
link   
He did nothing wrong. Powerful people every right to pull strings to circumvent the US justice system. Anyone who thinks otherwise must be a communist.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: BiffWellington

I thought Stone was convicted. Are you saying he is innocent?

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
I suppose Trump can’t have an opinion on things without tears from the left. They should get safe spaces and therapy puppies.

The four prosecutors who quit were Republicans. Why did they resign?

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Of course this was a bad thing. Nay, not bad, but definitely impeachable.

Impeach Him!!!

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 11:23 AM
link   
The real question is: If Obama adopted a white boy, would he grow up to look like Roger Stone? In all seriousness, it sounds like liberals are upset he acts like all the other presidents.

+11 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 11:26 AM
link   
My opinion: the DOJ are his people, and enforcement is in his bailiwick. I see no issue with it...so long as the judiciary retains control over that check/balance.

In the case of Stone, i could care less. He didn't do 9 years worth of crime, and his crimes were uncovered under the shade of a poisoned tree. He should likely walk free. I know that isn't a popular opinion, but the entire Mueller investigation was predicated on illegal acts by the FBI, and the results of that investigation should likely be dismissed.

+5 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Trump has every right to expose all the corruption that was instigated by past Administrations 😎

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

The four prosecutors who quit were Republicans. Why did they resign?

Even being a "registered" Republican doesn't always automatically make somebody a true Conservative 😎

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 11:36 AM
link   
The sentence that was given to the guy was excessive by all means compared to what is typically given for first time offenders of these types of crimes. The Judge came out and explained this and was kind of urked that the prosecutors had tricked him into believing that the sentence was normal. The prosecuters are not supposed to lie to a judge, so they quit to avoid disbarment. I think that the judge should disbar every one of them to keep this kind of thing from happening again, prosecutors should not tell fairy tales to the judge.

Trump's questioning of the penalty is his right, exposing wrongs in our judicial system should be something a president should do. Remember, Trump's lawyers were involved in this, they knew the penalty was way out of reasonable in this case, they are some of the best lawyers in this country. I feel those prosecuting attorneys should also lose their pension because they violated the rules they were supposed to follow and should not get a reward for what they did.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 11:39 AM
link   

I actually feel dumber for having read that... I'm pretty sure "rampant" doesn't mean what this reporter thinks it means...

But here's the bottom line: It is Trump's job to execute and enforce the law within the confines of the Constitution, as you noted. That includes not enforcing the law as well. Think Clinton's "Don't ask, don't tell". And, of course, there are presidential pardons to even nullify convictions, as you also noted.

I would add that juries have the power of nullification as well (though I wish more jurors knew and understood this!).

We have the absolute right to judge the law, as well as the facts of the "crime." The only absolute rights are Natural Rights, and none of Stone's "crimes" violated Natural Rights. I would say that just like jurors, and for the same reasons, the president has the right to determine -- in accordance of totality of circumstances -- that the law is a bad law and should not be enforced, or that it may be a good law in other situations but was misapplied in this situation.

Very often it's not so much the "what" of it all, but the "how" and the "why." The hows and whys are almost as important as the what. It's possible to do the wrong thing for the right reason, or the right thing for the wrong reason. The politics of it all can and will be judged by the people, and they will voice their support or their condemnation at the ballot box.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

The federal sentencing guidelines say it was the right sentence. What else you going to go by?

For Trump to interfere is a clear violation of the separation of powers clause. Trump should not be overseeing the justice department. Period.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 11:42 AM
link   

You forget that some judge asked for a review of all of the indictments that took place based off of information gained through the two or three illegal FISA warrants that the FBI opened. Mueller's team is in as much trouble as the FBI in this case.

Edit to Add:

In his January 7 order, Boasberg directed DOJ to retain and sequester all information and evidence relevant to both the Carter Page applications, the inspector general investigation of FISA abuse, and any additional DOJ investigations related to or spawned by the inspector general’s report. Boasberg told DOJ to provide all of the required information to the FISA court no later than January 28.

thefederalist.com...

The Judge's full order:

www.fisc.uscourts.gov...

edit on 12-2-2020 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Trump can do no wrong , this we have learnt.

In my view it's wrong for a leader , any leader to have influence over the justice system.

Criminals in the white house.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join