It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Hampshire and Bernie wins...feel the burn America..down to the ground

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: pexx421

originally posted by: Edumakated
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Those charts are inflation adjusted. Secondly, while it is true a dollar is worth less, in many cases, it also still buys higher quality goods and services.

Compare a car, computer, house quality, practically ANYTHING purchased today of that from the 70s and the relative cost... you'll find the good is far better quality today.

Sure... school, healthcare, and housing have all seen inflation. Gee, what is the common denominator? Govt interference.

Sure. We have plenty stuff that’s shinier and more functional. Sadly it’s all disposable now too, with nothing lasting like it used to. And keep in mind, the production costs of that car or computer you have now are much lower than they were back then, adjusted for inflation. And yet they cost much more and are replaced more often as well.

They don't cost much more and last far longer...

Cars are hardly more expensive inflation adjusted than they were back then, but cars today are far nicer, safer, and will last far longer. Jap cars can last 200+ thousand miles.

You can't be serious...

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 12:07 PM
link   
There’s one Japanese car, the Honda Civic. Other than that, not a huge market for cars over 100k miles. As for cars not being more expensive? What bs. 50 years ago you could work a summer job and buy a new car. No one is doing that today. Now you’ll be working 4-6 years to pay off a new car. But You can’t force ideologies to open their eyes.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 12:12 PM
link   

There’s one Japanese car, the Honda Civic. Other than that, not a huge market for cars over 100k miles. As for cars not being more expensive? What bs. 50 years ago you could work a summer job and buy a new car. No one is doing that today. Now you’ll be working 4-6 years to pay off a new car. But You can’t force ideologies to open their eyes.

I don't have time, but I actually did this a few months ago. COmpared a car from the 90s to one today to demonstrate how much CHEAPER a car actually is compared to what you actually get....

Basically, a car in 2020 has ABS, Cameras, Nav system, Power everything, adaptative cruise control, leather, auto, etc... practically every option. A car from the 90s would be luck to have ABS... Cost practically the same when adjusted for inflation.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 12:17 PM
link   
And yet, you still can’t save up at a low wage summer job to get one. There’s a disconnect there somewhere. It’s most likely in our blatantly fraudulent inflation measurements. At any rate, I expect that people back then weren’t missing the abs, camera, power, acc, etc. They were the state of the art back then just as they are now. Aluminum was once the metal of royalty. Now it’s cheap garbage because it’s cost to produce has gotten so much lower. Strangely we’re not all dancing around because we can all afford aluminum now. It’s the same principle. Are we all rich upper class because we can all get aluminum plates and silverware now? No. It doesn’t work like that.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 12:57 PM
link   
And let’s clarify the argument. It’s interesting that studies have come out that the vast majority of Americans cannot afford the cheapest new car on the market. And this, at a time when we are in “the best economy in recent history!!!!”. And yet, people in the 60’s and 70’s could work a summer job to buy a new Car, pay all their bills, and still have far less debt than we do now.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: PurpleFox

Exactly.

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

Oh, and Sanders never apologized, addressed this issue or fired these people, as far as I can tell.
edit on 12-2-2020 by LoneCloudHopper2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

You think Bernie Sanders wants to murder millions of Americans?

NO way... and for the record Mao or Stalin didn't actually kill anyone either.... their supporters did.

and the Bernie supporters have told us they will put anyone that disagrees in gulags, because the CIA lied to us and they really weren't that bad.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: pexx421

Are we all rich upper class because we can all get aluminum plates and silverware now? No. It doesn’t work like that.

yes it does. if you compare yourself with ACTUAL poor people. like the ones living in Africa or other 3rd world countries.

your spoiled and entitled.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 01:05 PM
link   

I would like to point out that most of those people who cannot afford a car have smartphones, tablets, WiFi, streaming television services.....etc.

People in the 60s also tended to be married and only had kids they could afford.

You remember the 70s differently than I do.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: smkymcnugget420

Are we all rich upper class because we can all get aluminum plates and silverware now? No. It doesn’t work like that.

yes it does. if you compare yourself with ACTUAL poor people. like the ones living in Africa or other 3rd world countries.

your spoiled and entitled.

Sorry, but you obviously don’t know what spoiled or entitled means. I work for what I have. That’s the opposite of spoiled or entitled. I expect you think that not expressing abject gratitude to corporations because they don’t exploit us to the same degree they do the global South is “spoiled and entitled”. So where do our generational oligarchs, who inherit millions from their families generational exploitation fit into this? Are they not “spoiled and entitled” according to you?

You, on the other hand, are patronizing and ignorant.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I would like to point out that most of those people who cannot afford a car have smartphones, tablets, WiFi, streaming television services.....etc.

People in the 60s also tended to be married and only had kids they could afford.

In the 60’s and 70’s a single working parent could often afford all the requirements and standards of a middle class home and lifestyle at the time with less debt and more stability than they can now.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 01:21 PM
link   

In the 60’s and 70’s a single working parent could often afford all the requirements and standards of a middle class home and lifestyle at the time with less debt and more stability than they can now.

They also didn't have wives who wanted to compete against them in the corporate world either... women often stayed home and raised the kids and you didn't need expensive day care.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Main reason I hate a certain element of the poor today. They confuse need and want. The #1 item purchased with food stamps is freakin soda. I'd send them a few cases of MRE's monthly. Take it or leave it. Want free education and healthcare no problem. What branch of service do you like. Take it or leave it.

link   
edit on 12-2-2020 by FlyinHeadlock because: (no reason given)

link   

Main reason I hate a certain element of the poor today. They confuse need and want. The #1 item purchased with food stamps is freakin soda. I'd send them a few cases of MRE's monthly. Take it or leave it. Want free education and healthcare no problem. What branch of service do you like. Take it or leave it.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Also didn't have cable TV and cell phones. One car was adequate. Didn't need to have the latest and greated paid for with a 7 year car loan. Everyone didn't need Gucci belts and Canada Goose jackets. People cooked food instead of buyign ready to eat meals. They also didn't care if the food was grown by eunich elves under a rainbow either. People didn't want 3500 square foot McMansions with Home depot siding either.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

You're exactly right.
Priority has changed.

Ask anyone that worked from the 70s to the 2000s and ask them at which time they had more money for the extras.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 01:49 PM
link   

And let’s clarify the argument. It’s interesting that studies have come out that the vast majority of Americans cannot afford the cheapest new car on the market. And this, at a time when we are in “the best economy in recent history!!!!”. And yet, people in the 60’s and 70’s could work a summer job to buy a new Car, pay all their bills, and still have far less debt than we do now.

And to that I say walk or get a bike. Not my problem. Hell, in college I would jog 2 miles to my part time job to save money on gas. Loved it. People respected the hell out of me. Rain or shine I got to where I could make it in well under 12 minutes. When it was time for the National Guard physical fitness test I would burn everybody by half a mile. Hilarious.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

You forgot the $400 sneakers just because some athlete puts his name on them. I never could understand that idiocy.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Also didn't have cable TV and cell phones. One car was adequate. Didn't need to have the latest and greated paid for with a 7 year car loan. Everyone didn't need Gucci belts and Canada Goose jackets. People cooked food instead of buyign ready to eat meals. They also didn't care if the food was grown by eunich elves under a rainbow either. People didn't want 3500 square foot McMansions with Home depot siding either.

And we also had cleaner food and water, and a more equitable distribution of income, in a solvent economy back then too. People retired at a younger age, far more often with pensions, without having had an education. People weren’t going into bankruptcy near as often from medical bills. Education cost was a pittance, and houses were much lower cost compared to wages back then as well. Social programs were more robust. Etc.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join